NFL Officiating

  1. #1
    TTS_JF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    @ Practice We talking about Practice... Not a game we talking about PRACTICE
    Posts
    3,617

    NFL Officiating

    The quarterbacks might as well wear the red practice jerseys to keep defenders from making contact. I've watched several games over the weekend and the roughing calls are just ridiculous. The call in Dunlap yesterday was terrible, and pretty much the same just happened in the Raiders game.

    I'm all for protecting guys but this has gone to far.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    277

    I'll need a bigger sample size. Dunlap's penalty was bad, IMO

  3. #3
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    They just said week 1 had more roughing the passer penalties than any other week in the past by far.

  4. #4
    nkuclubbaseball19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    10,860

    The NFL has said Dunlap’s call was correct along with 3 other “weight on quarterback” calls in week 1. They did acknowledge that the penalty Myles Garrett received right before Conner ran his first TD in was incorrect.

  5. #5
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,713

    Dunlap's second penalty...I can possibly see their reasoning. However, the first one was the ridiculous one, in my opinion. I don't care what the guy on TV said, he was NOT crawling towards Luck's feet...he was falling down!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    6

    This is why I'm watching less and less of the NFL. It's hard to enjoy when you don't know \ understand the rules. Almost every time there is a replay, I think it is going to be called A and it gets called B. What is a catch? What is a fumble? What is a good tackle versus a 'bad' tackle? When does crossing the goal line result in a TD and when doesn't it? The way I see it, the refs are the biggest determination of the winner of the games - not the players or coaches. I'm watching less and less.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    6

    By the way, I think Dunlap's penalty was bogus. Sometimes I don't think it is possible to tackle someone without falling on top of them.

  8. #8
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    40,425

    I do not blame the refs. They are doing the best they can to enforce ambiguous rules with guys that continue to get bigger and faster. They get their marching orders from above. As a whole, I do dislike the fact rules are slanted towards the offensive side of the ball, making it nearly impossible to defend... especially down field.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,199

    Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    This is why I'm watching less and less of the NFL. It's hard to enjoy when you don't know \ understand the rules. Almost every time there is a replay, I think it is going to be called A and it gets called B. What is a catch? What is a fumble? What is a good tackle versus a 'bad' tackle? When does crossing the goal line result in a TD and when doesn't it? The way I see it, the refs are the biggest determination of the winner of the games - not the players or coaches. I'm watching less and less.
    I get the frustration with the hits in the QB. Defenders are going to have to learn new habits and adjust to the rule. But they’ll adjust and this likely won’t be talked about as much as time moves on. It’s too soon for me to say how I feel about the new catch rule, but it’s got to better than the old one. Your other complaints though, about fumbles and TD’s don’t bother me at all. Those rules are pretty clear, and Especially concerning TD’s, I haven’t seen where they ever in the end, get the call wrong.

  10. #10
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Ville
    Posts
    50,450

    It's impossible to play defense in college and pro football anymore. It's a shame, really.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    161

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    It's impossible to play defense in college and pro football anymore. It's a shame, really.
    I'm with you, might as well add PI to the list of calls that are at best inconsistent. I hate that early in a game they allow contact and in the fourth quarter if you breathe on a receiver its PI, drives me nuts. Every year I watch less NFL than the year before.

  12. #12
    TTS_JF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    @ Practice We talking about Practice... Not a game we talking about PRACTICE
    Posts
    3,617

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom 5497 View Post
    I'm with you, might as well add PI to the list of calls that are at best inconsistent. I hate that early in a game they allow contact and in the fourth quarter if you breathe on a receiver its PI, drives me nuts. Every year I watch less NFL than the year before.
    Agree on this one as well, the penalties kill the flow of the game along with viewers not being able to know what the calls should be one way or the other.

  13. #13
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,901

    Consistency within the same is a problem. AD was hit in the head twice Sunday and nothing was called. I get consistency between different referees is difficult, but not the same ref. If a ref is consistent with their calls then it is up to the players to adjust. When they are not, then it gets very frustrating.

  14. #14
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,713

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Consistency within the same is a problem. AD was hit in the head twice Sunday and nothing was called. I get consistency between different referees is difficult, but not the same ref. If a ref is consistent with their calls then it is up to the players to adjust. When they are not, then it gets very frustrating.
    Yeah, especially when there are two officials in the backfield. No excuse for both of those to be missed. Luck got breathed on and a flag was thrown.

Top