NFL Hires First Woman Referee

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    18,414

    NFL Hires First Woman Referee

    Girl Power!

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.2172353

    For the first time in its history, the NFL will have a woman official overseeing games in 2015.

    Sarah Thomas, a Big Ten official who has worked preseason NFL games, has been hired by the league, the Baltimore Sun reported on Friday. Thomas became the first female to work an NCAA game in 2007.

    The NFL wouldn’t confirm Thomas’ hiring, saying only “The 2015 roster of officials has not yet been finalized. When it is, the new officials for 2015 and the entire roster will be announced.”

    Thomas has been on the NFL’s radar since 2013, and the Sun’s report indicated that she’s been a finalist for an NFL job in the past.

    In 2013, the NFL’s VP of officiating, Dean Blandino, said that Thomas had been “in our pipeline for a while.”

    "I think it's just the natural next progression," he told ESPN. "We're looking for untapped talent."

    Violet Palmer became the first woman to referee an NBA game in 2006. She’s worked for the league, in addition to the WNBA, ever since and there have been a total of three female refs in the NBA. Women have umpired spring training games but never regular season MLB games and the NHL has never had a female official work a game.

    "The thing is, I've never set out to be the first and that hasn't changed," Thomas said in a 2013 ESPN profile. "I do this because I love it."
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    He said untapped talent.

  3. #3
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    52,905

    Publicity stunt.

  4. #4
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    In all seriousness, I hope she does well, but I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't concerned with her safety.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    The Compound
    Posts
    18,414

    Concerned because of her size versus big football players or concerned that something may happen to her on the field because she's a woman?

  6. #6
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by lawildcat View Post
    Concerned because of her size versus big football players or concerned that something may happen to her on the field because she's a woman?
    The former. While referee may be the safest position, the first strip sack headed to the other end and she could end up the equivalent of a speed bump hindering the getaway of a bank robbery. I know a man can be in the same situation, just sayin'. It has nothing to do with competence.

  7. #7
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,219

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Publicity stunt.
    How so?

  8. #8
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    I have to wonder if they would have considered this had the domestic violence issue not trashed their stance with the ladies.

  9. #9
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,219

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I have to wonder if they would have considered this had the domestic violence issue not trashed their stance with the ladies.
    She was one of the finalists last year to be brought up to the NFL, so I'd say that had little to do with it.

  10. #10
    InItToWinIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    The gym
    Posts
    1,686

    I agree. I feel it could be very dangerous. I understand there are tiny male referees, but I'd bet she is one of the lightest referees out there.

  11. #11
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    She was one of the finalists last year to be brought up to the NFL, so I'd say that had little to do with it.
    I doubt that, the NFL never does anything without an angle.

  12. #12
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,219

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I doubt that, the NFL never does anything without an angle.
    Oh it's a fact, whether you believe it or not, that she was a finalist last season.

  13. #13
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Oh it's a fact, whether you believe it or not, that she was a finalist last season.
    I can read. I know she was a finalist. You're missing my point.

  14. #14
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,219

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I can read. I know she was a finalist. You're missing my point.
    I'm not missing your point, I just don't find it valid.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    I have to wonder if they would have considered this had the domestic violence issue not trashed their stance with the ladies.
    Good point.

Top