Marvin Lewis One Year Contract Extension

Page 2 of Originally Posted by Hellbird I'd take a 72 year old Schottenheimer over a 25 year old Marvin every day of the week. He only has 5 playoff wins? That i... 61 comments | 2032 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    68

    Mediocrity will continue in Cincinnati. I understand he has made numerous playoff apperances, but in what other market would he still be employed after being something like 0-6 in the playoffs
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,925

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    Haven't they been doing 1 year deals for a while now?

    Some of you guys are wanting to relive the Dick LeBeau years. Marvin is the best coach the Bengals have had in decades.


    Tallest of the midgets...

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,188

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    This may be about 28 free agents to be next year on the roster. Some of them may be looking for some stability in the head coach. I believe they have had preliminary discussions with most, if not all of their agents. Maybe the feedback from most was, if Coach Lewis isn't back we are likely not to be either.

    I have been one of Marvin's biggest advocates on here and in my family, whom all wanted him gone long ago, and he has been the best coach we have had at least since Wyche.

    But he has to take the next step because the window is closing fast with their talent. I am not sure they can sign all of the core - Green, Gio, Hill, Whit, Andre, Tez, Hall, Dre, Iloka, Zeitler etc. over the next 2-3 years.
    I think you are reading to much into it. Its basically what Mike Brown has done with Lewis lately. The one year extension is not going to stop him from letting him go after this year IMO if they Dont get over the hump. Even if they do get rid of him, they would probably have a new coach in place much earlier before free agency even begins. So players would know who the coach is before they even have a chance to leave.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,165

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I think you are reading to much into it. Its basically what Mike Brown has done with Lewis lately. The one year extension is not going to stop him from letting him go after this year IMO if they Dont get over the hump. Even if they do get rid of him, they would probably have a new coach in place much earlier before free agency even begins. So players would know who the coach is before they even have a chance to leave.
    Maybe I am reading too much into it. History tells me, though, that Marvin is here as long as he wants and so is AD. This is not a make or break year for them in Brown's eyes and that's what matters.

    The other thought would be, Marvin just wants to take this year to year.

    The Bengals are doing business as they have in the last 8-10 years.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    Just calling it like I see it HB. The grass isn't always greener, if ya know what I mean.
    The grass under Marvin has been dead since 2006.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    I get tired of hearing people say "he has gotten is to the playoffs 4 straight years". Who Cares!?!!

    the only reason he has been able to do that is the fact that the Bengals are the only franchise in the entire NFL that wouldn't fire a coach who has never won a playoff game not only after 5 years but after 12 years!!!! He is horrible, no 2 ways around it, he is horrible.

    No coach that I know of in NFL history has coached 1 team for 12 years and never won a single playoff game. He stinks period. Get him out of here.

    Be be careful what you wish for? Really? Why should we becareful? What is the worst that can happen? We get another bad coach that can't win a playoff game? I'm willing to take the chance.

    Marvin has had some GREAT Teams here. The 2005 was one of the best ever here, yet still 0 post season wins and close to a .500 record.

    I I don't care if Marvin wins the AFCCG this year, it won't change the fact he is a loser when you look at his entire HC career.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    I get tired of hearing people say "he has gotten is to the playoffs 4 straight years". Who Cares!?!!

    the only reason he has been able to do that is the fact that the Bengals are the only franchise in the entire NFL that wouldn't fire a coach who has never won a playoff game not only after 5 years but after 12 years!!!! He is horrible, no 2 ways around it, he is horrible.

    No coach that I know of in NFL history has coached 1 team for 12 years and never won a single playoff game. He stinks period. Get him out of here.

    Be be careful what you wish for? Really? Why should we becareful? What is the worst that can happen? We get another bad coach that can't win a playoff game? I'm willing to take the chance.

    Marvin has had some GREAT Teams here. The 2005 was one of the best ever here, yet still 0 post season wins and close to a .500 record.

    I I don't care if Marvin wins the AFCCG this year, it won't change the fact he is a loser when you look at his entire HC career.
    No way Marvin is a worse coach than anybody the Bengals have had since the SB years. He's better than half the guys coaching in the league now.

    He's no Belichick but he's way better than most of these one hit wonders.

  8. #23
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,667

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    No way Marvin is a worse coach than anybody the Bengals have had since the SB years. He's better than half the guys coaching in the league now. He's no Belichick but he's way better than most of these one hit wonders.
    He is perfect in the post season when it counts.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    Independence, KY
    Posts
    21,013

    What is Marvins win loss record?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by uk#1fan View Post
    What is Marvins win loss record?
    100-95-2

    that includes regular season and playoffs. Not very good especially after 12 years.

    Show me any coach who has coached for 12 years with the same team with a record as bad as that. Barely over .500

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,188

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    100-95-2

    that includes regular season and playoffs. Not very good especially after 12 years.

    Show me any coach who has coached for 12 years with the same team with a record as bad as that. Barely over .500
    See you are getting on him for the fact that the owner was dumb enough to keep him around. There are tons of coaches who would have far worst records than that if they got to coach for 12 years, however they usually get fired before they get a chance to get to 12 years. So your argument here is not very valid, because most owners would get rid of coaches before then. So its not his fault that the owner won't get rid of him.

    He is not horrible as you say, but he is not good either. He is exactly what his record is and that is basically an average coach at best. He was an average coach his first year with the Bengals when I believe they went 8 and 8 and now even after 12 years his record is still basically average and right around .500.

    This is on Mike Brown for keeping him, because if all other owners kept coaches for 12 years then you would see that there would be a lot with worst records than that. He is not horrible like you say, but he should be gone that I agree with. Its been time to move on from him for awhile now.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,188

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Maybe I am reading too much into it. History tells me, though, that Marvin is here as long as he wants and so is AD. This is not a make or break year for them in Brown's eyes and that's what matters.

    The other thought would be, Marvin just wants to take this year to year.

    The Bengals are doing business as they have in the last 8-10 years.
    You may end up being right on Lewis, but completely disagree on Dalton. Mike Brown has never truly said to many great things about Dalton, now he never had a problem talking up Palmer and even talked up Palmer last off season and how good he was and then when he talked about Dalton he even said we need to have the pieces around him for him to do well. So I don't think he is very big on Dalton and why he made his contract like he did.

    If Dalton doesn't prove he can get this team over the top this year. Then if he truly wants to keep the team intact then he would need to release him. He wouldn't take much of a cap hit at all either. They have so many free agents next year, that he can't afford to pay Dalton what he would make next year and still sign all the guys he needs to. So Dalton has to prove this year to him IMO that he would be worth paying that money and losing some of the guys they would end up losing.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,188

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Maybe I am reading too much into it. History tells me, though, that Marvin is here as long as he wants and so is AD. This is not a make or break year for them in Brown's eyes and that's what matters.

    The other thought would be, Marvin just wants to take this year to year.

    The Bengals are doing business as they have in the last 8-10 years.
    To add a little bit more on Marvin Lewis though. I seriously doubt Mike Brown asked any players or their agents on if they wanted Lewis back. Mike Brown wouldn't care what the players think in decisions like that. If that was the case then Marvin would have been fired after 2010, because I believe he definitely would have gotten rid of Marvin to keep Palmer. I think it is pretty evident now that them signing Marvin back was the reason Palmer wanted out. After the last game of that season Palmer was pumped and was quoted as telling Jerome Simpson that they were going to do great things next year and how refreshed he felt playing with those young receivers. Which at that time most believed Marvin would be gone. Then sure enough after Marvin was brought back, Palmer wanted out. So if Mike Brown was going to ask players anything, then he probably would have gotten rid of Lewis back then so he could have kept Palmer.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    He is horrible. Again show me any coach over 12 years with a record as bad.

    Thats all anyone has to do.

    If you can't. Then show me a coach who has lost his first 6 post season games with the same team.

    If if you can't do that then list the coaches who are 0-6 in the playoffs in their careers or worse.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,165

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    You may end up being right on Lewis, but completely disagree on Dalton. Mike Brown has never truly said to many great things about Dalton, now he never had a problem talking up Palmer and even talked up Palmer last off season and how good he was and then when he talked about Dalton he even said we need to have the pieces around him for him to do well. So I don't think he is very big on Dalton and why he made his contract like he did.

    If Dalton doesn't prove he can get this team over the top this year. Then if he truly wants to keep the team intact then he would need to release him. He wouldn't take much of a cap hit at all either. They have so many free agents next year, that he can't afford to pay Dalton what he would make next year and still sign all the guys he needs to. So Dalton has to prove this year to him IMO that he would be worth paying that money and losing some of the guys they would end up losing.
    He has a team friendly deal with Dalton and knows there is really no one he can get that is better right now. They also are not going to be bad enough for the next few years that they will draft in the Top 5-10 to get a 1st round college QB that can play immediately. I know many fans don't like it, but AD is here for the next 4-5 years. Take it to the bank, unless he gets injured really bad.

    AD is the 17th highest paid QB which is probably where he ranks in the league as starting QB's go.

    Mike Brown likes players like AD, he is very comfortable with him. That is Brown's mantra. He likes consistency and comfort. Not a Super Bowl winning formula, but it is who he is. They kept Robert Gaithers 2 years too long and looks like they are going to do the same with Peko.

Top