Marvin Lewis on Adam Jones: Other than his language, what did he do?

Page 3 of Marvin Lewis on Adam Jones: Other than his language, what did he do? | ProFootballTalk A felony charge against Jones has since been dropped, leaving hi... 46 comments | 1129 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    367

    Athleticism trumps morals every time in the NFL. Raiders and Steelers of 70's weren't choir boys, Giants 80's team, cowboys of 90's either. I'd take Pats coach any day of week but is there any doubt he'd do whatever it takes to win a game.
    Not defending Jones but c'mon, teams aren't cutting anyone who can help them out unless they have depth that they can afford to do so. I'm a big believer in chemistry but most of his teammates seem to like this guy. He's an idiot but again, it's the NFL.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,387

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    I'm officially done with the Bengals. Help pull me up on that Steelers bandwagon @TheDeuce and @spindoc. Where can I get me a Terrible Towel?
    I simply can't do it. The more I thought about it the sicker it made me.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by dpeevh View Post
    Athleticism trumps morals every time in the NFL. Raiders and Steelers of 70's weren't choir boys, Giants 80's team, cowboys of 90's either. I'd take Pats coach any day of week but is there any doubt he'd do whatever it takes to win a game.
    Not defending Jones but c'mon, teams aren't cutting anyone who can help them out unless they have depth that they can afford to do so. I'm a big believer in chemistry but most of his teammates seem to like this guy. He's an idiot but again, it's the NFL.
    I guarantee you Jones would not still be playing for New England, if the roles were reversed. He would have been sent packing along time ago.

  4. #34
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,440

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    I guarantee you Jones would not still be playing for New England, if the roles were reversed. He would have been sent packing along time ago.
    Didn't they just sign a receiver in the middle of the year that was released by Arizona for getting arrested and it was all on videotape? Took them a day to sign him?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    Didn't they just sign a receiver in the middle of the year that was released by Arizona for getting arrested and it was all on videotape? Took them a day to sign him?
    Was that receiver playing for them when he got the DUI? No! Do the Patriots have a history of taking players with issues and bringing them in, with positive results, yes. IF this said player got in additional trouble, you think they wouldn't have immediately released him? This said player was average, as PacMan is, why put up with all his stupidity?

    I get it if the guy was a superstar or something, they do whatever to win, but this guy is trouble on and off the field. He is not someone I want representing me on and off the field. However, I expect the Bengals to stand behind Pacman, they are who they are for a reason! It all starts at the top and then proceeds to their coach! They get what they want, 40,000 plus stooges filling up their stadium 10 days a year, lining their pocket.

  6. #36
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,440

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    Was that receiver playing for them when he got the DUI? No! Do the Patriots have a history of taking players with issues and bringing them in, with positive results, yes. IF this said player got in additional trouble, you think they wouldn't have immediately released him? This said player was average, as PacMan is, why put up with all his stupidity?

    I get it if the guy was a superstar or something, they do whatever to win, but this guy is trouble on and off the field. He is not someone I want representing me on and off the field. However, I expect the Bengals to stand behind Pacman, they are who they are for a reason! It all starts at the top and then proceeds to their coach! They get what they want, 40,000 plus stooges filling up their stadium 10 days a year, lining their pocket.
    So you have no issue if the Bengals cut Pacman and the Patriots pick him up? Since they can rehabilitate him.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    367

    Wow I'm confused. So if he's on their roster, the Pats would dump him but if he does it on someone else's roster who then drops him, they would sign him? Makes perfect sense.

  8. #38
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,068

    Quote Originally Posted by dpeevh View Post
    Athleticism trumps morals every time in the NFL. Raiders and Steelers of 70's weren't choir boys, Giants 80's team, cowboys of 90's either. I'd take Pats coach any day of week but is there any doubt he'd do whatever it takes to win a game.
    Not defending Jones but c'mon, teams aren't cutting anyone who can help them out unless they have depth that they can afford to do so. I'm a big believer in chemistry but most of his teammates seem to like this guy. He's an idiot but again, it's the NFL.
    Which is exactly why Mixon will get a shot this year and if I'm a fan of a team I wouldn't mind seeing him on my team. If he steps out of line he will be crushed by the league etc. because of his past, but if he keeps his nose clean and the past was just a one time issue then he could make a team a lot better.

  9. #39
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,068

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    I guarantee you Jones would not still be playing for New England, if the roles were reversed. He would have been sent packing along time ago.
    It depends when you say they would have let hiim go. Would they have let him go back in his prime when he got in trouble? I woulnd't bet on it. Belichick and Kraft do a lot of talking but still take players with legal issues, they only discard them when they don't need them on the field anymore, not because of legal issues. If they did what you say they would have done, then why did they take a WR last season who was just arrested the week before?

  10. #40
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,068

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    Was that receiver playing for them when he got the DUI? No! Do the Patriots have a history of taking players with issues and bringing them in, with positive results, yes. IF this said player got in additional trouble, you think they wouldn't have immediately released him? This said player was average, as PacMan is, why put up with all his stupidity?

    I get it if the guy was a superstar or something, they do whatever to win, but this guy is trouble on and off the field. He is not someone I want representing me on and off the field. However, I expect the Bengals to stand behind Pacman, they are who they are for a reason! It all starts at the top and then proceeds to their coach! They get what they want, 40,000 plus stooges filling up their stadium 10 days a year, lining their pocket.
    So what is the difference of when the player got in trouble? IF you are saying that once a player is in the organization then they straighten up and fly right because of the coaches influence, well there are 3 dead people who would like a 2nd chance because of one of the New England Patriots who was on the roster at the time of the murders he committed.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    So you have no issue if the Bengals cut Pacman and the Patriots pick him up? Since they can rehabilitate him.
    None whatsoever, the Patriots have a little bit better track record than the Bengals.
    You give the guy a shot, realizing you can rehabilitate the guy. The Bengals situation is different, he does something stupid every year and the Bengals still keep him around. If you can justify what Jones said in that video and still want the bum on your team, more power to you. As I stated, I want no part of the guy on my team. The guy has been nothing but trouble, every year it is some kind of distraction with this guy. Move on, cut bait, dude is more trouble than his diminishing skills provide.

  12. #42

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    It depends when you say they would have let hiim go. Would they have let him go back in his prime when he got in trouble? I woulnd't bet on it. Belichick and Kraft do a lot of talking but still take players with legal issues, they only discard them when they don't need them on the field anymore, not because of legal issues. If they did what you say they would have done, then why did they take a WR last season who was just arrested the week before?
    The guy just finds trouble, any good run organization would have cut bait with this guy. Just an example, Floyd was cut by the Cardinals after he got in trouble, even though he is super talented. Why don't the Bengals try that, instead of trying to make excuses for the guy.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    May 07
    Posts
    694

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Which is exactly why Mixon will get a shot this year and if I'm a fan of a team I wouldn't mind seeing him on my team. If he steps out of line he will be crushed by the league etc. because of his past, but if he keeps his nose clean and the past was just a one time issue then he could make a team a lot better.
    Unless he is on the Bengals, then they would justify it in some way. Jones had more history than a lot of people and has added a lot more history to his resume, since he was with the Bengals. What have the Bengals done in each of these instances, other than reward him? What Marvin said in response to this latest episode sums up the Bengals in a nutshell. For him to say that, basically spat in face of all law enforcement. If you can justify what he said and want the guy to remain on the team, so be it, there is a reason I stopped rooting for the Bungles a long time ago and it has a lot to with the management of the team.

  14. #44
    Hellbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,068

    Quote Originally Posted by bjknku02 View Post
    The guy just finds trouble, any good run organization would have cut bait with this guy. Just an example, Floyd was cut by the Cardinals after he got in trouble, even though he is super talented. Why don't the Bengals try that, instead of trying to make excuses for the guy.
    I'm not saying he doesn't find trouble and I said years ago he should have been gone. With that said, I'm not talking about what he has done now, I'm talking about your belief that the PAtriots don't put up with troubled law breaking players, they do and have done so during Belichicks tenure. To say they don't is simply not true.

  15. #45
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    Today marks my first 100 days of posting on BGP and I have the lowest approval rating of any member in history. Hey, I think I'll hold a rally to mark the momentous occasion.
    Posts
    5,923

    I'm glad I quit giving a damn about this franchise.

Top Marvin Lewis on Adam Jones: Other than his language, what did he do?