Marvin Lewis is Done!!!

Page 4 of Scott Bilo ‏ @BiloRatedSports BREAKING: Sources saying that the Steve Alford's buyout has been completed. Could have an announcement officially t... 58 comments | 5184 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,415

    The town rejoiced when the (fake) news broke last year that Marvin was stepping down.

    There was much despair when he was brought back.

    4 and 1 or not. Ticket sales plummeted.
    Advertisement

  2. #47

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,392

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    The town rejoiced when the (fake) news broke last year that Marvin was stepping down.

    There was much despair when he was brought back.

    4 and 1 or not. Ticket sales plummeted.
    I dont think Mike Brown thought this season would be a disaster at all. Every other time people wanted Marvin gone after a really bad year. They bounced back under him.

    After 2008 horrible season people wanted him gone. They keep him and 2009 they sweep the division to be division champs. After 2010 people wanted him gone. Yet he brought him back even though he knew ticket sales would drop like they did this year. Then Marvin made playoffs 5 straight times. So most likely he thought it could happen again.

  3. #48
    Colonels_Wear_Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 09
    Location
    Colonel Country
    Posts
    40,500

    Marvin Lewis is now on Herm Edwards' staff at Arizona State.

  4. #49
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,962

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonels_Wear_Blue View Post
    Marvin Lewis is now on Herm Edwards' staff at Arizona State.
    Lewis has a home in Phoenix. His daughter attended ASU. He is joining Edwards' staff as Special Adviser.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,711

    He’s also selling his home in Indian Hills. Looks like he might be moving to AZ full time.

  6. #51
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,920

    Good for Coach Lewis!

  7. #52
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,841

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    He’s also selling his home in Indian Hills. Looks like he might be moving to AZ full time.
    The market is still hot.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,392

    Congrats to him. He was not as bad of a coach as some try to say. Now his time here definitely was way over due. He really is what his record says, an average coach. Not horrible, not great. There has been plenty of truly bad coaches who have gotten second chances at being a head coach. Hopefully this is a step in the direction of him getting another head coaching job either in college or NFL.

  9. #54
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,752

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Congrats to him. He was not as bad of a coach as some try to say. Now his time here definitely was way over due. He really is what his record says, an average coach. Not horrible, not great. There has been plenty of truly bad coaches who have gotten second chances at being a head coach. Hopefully this is a step in the direction of him getting another head coaching job either in college or NFL.
    I believe it was a disservice to Lewis to keep him on board the last 5-7 years for the reason you allude to. Both parties needed a fresh start and his chances of getting on elsewhere was much better at that time.

    Also, I had forgotten that Lewis was only 45 when hired by the Bengals and only 60 years old today.

  10. #55
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,962

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Congrats to him. He was not as bad of a coach as some try to say. Now his time here definitely was way over due. He really is what his record says, an average coach. Not horrible, not great. There has been plenty of truly bad coaches who have gotten second chances at being a head coach. Hopefully this is a step in the direction of him getting another head coaching job either in college or NFL.
    Lewis had one flaw as a coach and it is what led to his lack of success in big games and the playoffs. He was too conservative offensively, especially in close games. He always expected his defense to win games for him and never expected his offense to win games for him. When you play it as conservative as he did, you open the door for teams to take wins from you and that is what happened. That is why he had his best seasons when he had creative offensive coordinators.

  11. #56
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,920

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Congrats to him. He was not as bad of a coach as some try to say. Now his time here definitely was way over due. He really is what his record says, an average coach. Not horrible, not great. There has been plenty of truly bad coaches who have gotten second chances at being a head coach. Hopefully this is a step in the direction of him getting another head coaching job either in college or NFL.
    Well said fc!

  12. #57
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,920

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Lewis had one flaw as a coach and it is what led to his lack of success in big games and the playoffs. He was too conservative offensively, especially in close games. He always expected his defense to win games for him and never expected his offense to win games for him. When you play it as conservative as he did, you open the door for teams to take wins from you and that is what happened. That is why he had his best seasons when he had creative offensive coordinators.
    I know right.

    Then usually sometime around mid way through the 3rd quarter we would get aggressive on offense.

  13. #58
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,962

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I know right.

    Then usually sometime around mid way through the 3rd quarter we would get aggressive on offense.
    Or 4th quarter, but only if trailing. If ahead in the score in the second half - run, run then pass if necessary on 3rd down, punt, play defense and hope they get stops possession after possession after possession. Then when the Bengals lose the lead in the fourth quarter, get aggressive on offense.

  14. #59
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,920

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Or 4th quarter, but only if trailing. If ahead in the score in the second half - run, run then pass if necessary on 3rd down, punt, play defense and hope they get stops possession after possession after possession. Then when the Bengals lose the lead in the fourth quarter, get aggressive on offense.
    Lord it's the same old tune, fiddle and guitar
    Where do we take it from here?
    Rhinestone suits and new shiny cars
    It's been the same way for years
    We need a change


Top