Let's Trade Andy

Page 5 of NFL Trade Rumors: ESPN offers scenarios to deal Andy Dalton at NFL Trade Deadline - Cincy Jungle The trade deadline is fast approaching, and we have al... 66 comments | 787 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #61
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,256

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    So basically you would have gave in to any offer a team made, as long as you got something? That's why they played it perfectly. I don't see many people complaining about the Pats doing the same thing. Not to mention I love people act like drafting someone automatically means they would be good. Say they did trade McCarron for a 4th rounder just because as you basically said. There is no way to know if those draft picks would have helped. Shoot we just drafted two tackles in the 1st and 2nd round two years ago and well it hasn't worked out so well.

    The Bengals played it perfectly. They had a backup QB they knew they could still win with in McCarron. Which in this league having a backup qb who you could win with is a big thing. Secondily they didn't just trade him to trade him like apparently you wanted. Now sadly yeah they may not get anything for him. However that is not their fault on this. They played it perfectly and should have got a 2nd and 3rd rounder out of it, if it wasn't for the other team not knowing how to do a trade.
    I think the Pats situation is different in that BB wanted Jimmy G. But to keep him, they would have had to franchise tag him and he would be making more than Tom Brady next year and who knows how much longer Tom is going to play, There is no way you can pay 2 QB's on your team $45 million a year and stay competitive. I think the Pats actually got less for Jimmy G because he had to be moved.
    Advertisement

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,626

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    I think the Pats situation is different in that BB wanted Jimmy G. But to keep him, they would have had to franchise tag him and he would be making more than Tom Brady next year and who knows how much longer Tom is going to play, There is no way you can pay 2 QB's on your team $45 million a year and stay competitive. I think the Pats actually got less for Jimmy G because he had to be moved.
    Bengals situation is similar because they could lose McCarron out right depending on how arbitration goes. Bengals obviuisly wanted to keep McCarron and why they waited until they got a pretty good offer.

    Imo the Pats like the Bengals did it right. Both waited as long as they could and got good deals out of it. Only difference is apparently the 49ers know how to call it in unlike the Browns lol

  3. #63
    gametime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 02
    Location
    Big O > Every Wildcat Ever
    Posts
    88,048

    There is nothing in the trade protocol that indicates any need to send the paperwork to the other team instead of sending it to the NFL. That excuse by the Browns is either a complete lie or shows how truly incompetent the Browns front office is. You pick...

  4. #64
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    There is nothing in the trade protocol that indicates any need to send the paperwork to the other team instead of sending it to the NFL. That excuse by the Browns is either a complete lie or shows how truly incompetent the Browns front office is. You pick...
    It explains why he didn't trade with the Browns. He wanted Hoyer and he got paid to take him.

  5. #65
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,226

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    They did play it perfectly. I don't think any team in history would expect a team to forget to call in the trade they just agreed on.

    Also you did basically make it sound like you would have taken any trade when you said you would have even taken a 4th rounder.

    Also what does us not being the Pats have to do with anything? The Bengals have been considered for almost the last 7 years as having one of the best rosters in football, but just underachieving with it. Trading away a backup qb who they could win with if Dalton was hurt, for just a 4th round pick as you said you would take wouldn't have made to much of a difference if any the last 2 years.
    My bad, I probably shouldn't have been willing to part with McCarron for something with as little value as just a fourth round pick. I mean really how good of a talent can you get from someone drafted that low. I totally see your point.

    Refresh my memory... who did the Bengals draft in the fourth round last year?

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,626

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    My bad, I probably shouldn't have been willing to part with McCarron for something with as little value as just a fourth round pick. I mean really how good of a talent can you get from someone drafted that low. I totally see your point.

    Refresh my memory... who did the Bengals draft in the fourth round last year?
    The Bengals hit on that 4th round pick this year. The Bengals missed on a 1st and 2nd round pick a few years ago. You just don't know with the draft if you will hit or miss. So you would have been willing to take a 4th round pick and maybe that pick could have helped or maybe never sees the field. Then been stuck with no good back up qb and not getting as good of a trade as the Bengals did get. So yes compared to what you would have taken. The Bengals did play it perfectly. No one could have ever thought another organization would not know how to call the NFL to complete it.

    There are many things to complain about with Mike Brown. However you are very much reaching with how they handled this. They did handle this perfectly. Well I guess the only complaint would have been trusting the Browns front office to know how to complete a basic trade.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    3,097

    Have not read this entire thread, but, is there any chance Browns realizing they were out-negotiated had second thoughts and figured how to squelch the deal by appearing negligent rather than backing out on an agreed deal. Price was too high (perhaps?) and ownership said clean up this pile of goo???? Just conspiracy theory speculating. Anybody got thoughts?

Top