Jerry Jones threatens to sue NFL if Roger Goodell's contract extension is approved

Page 2 of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has threatened to sue the National Football League if a contract extension for commissioner Roger Goodell is approved ... 52 comments | 605 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,513

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The NFL acts as a quasi-Justice System when the NFL disagrees with the actual Justice System.

    I do agree the players are Stupid Stupid Stupid for letting the The Rog be a King.
    The NFL pulled the wool over the eyes of the players association when they signed the current CBA. Plain and simple.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The NFL pulled the wool over the eyes of the players association when they signed the current CBA. Plain and simple.
    My only hope is that the Players utilize their new found powers (subverting the NFL) to negotiate a much better collective bargaining agreement next time around.

  3. #18
    StrongSide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 15
    Location
    Birds Nest
    Posts
    1,251

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The Shield is slowly devouring itself.

    With the final eight weeks of the regular season beginning tonight, there’s no reason to think this year’s troubling trend will change, because there’s no reason for people to return to following football after the various debates and town halls and other political shows and specials that sucked people away from watching football before November 8, 2016. And with, as Darren Rovell of ESPN noted on Wednesday, total ratings are down 5.5 percent through the first nine weeks of 2017 in comparison to the first nine weeks of 2016, the absence of a post-election bounce means the gap is about to get bigger.

    Ratings decline could soon become more pronounced – ProFootballTalk
    If I didn't have fantasy football, I wouldn't be watching. There is way too much side show stuff going on with the NFL.

  4. #19
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Quote Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
    If I didn't have fantasy football, I wouldn't be watching. There is way too much side show stuff going on with the NFL.
    The NFL makes it so hard to be a fan.

    Other than actual games or RedZone everything else is a hot mess and you can't get away from controversy after controversy.

  5. #20
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,513

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    My only hope is that the Players utilize their new found powers (subverting the NFL) to negotiate a much better collective bargaining agreement next time around.
    Who knows, maybe Kap will win his collusion lawsuit and we'll have a new CBA sooner rather than later. If so, the ball is squarely in the players court because they have been working on this essentially since they signed on the dotted line of the present CBA.

  6. #21
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,049

    What any company does with situations like what the NFL is dealing with is completely different and separate with different rules than the justice system. For example, the whole freedom of speech argument has no impact legally with what the NFL players do on the football field before a game. There is no first amendment protection for what they are doing as it relates to their employment. If the NFL wants to fire a player because he is kneeling they have every right to do that. There is no first amendment protection there. There might be some collectively bargain protection but that is a contractual situation not something related to the justice system. The bottom line on the point I am making is what happens to Zeke in the justice system does not preclude the NFL from taking action against him.

  7. #22
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    What any company does with situations like what the NFL is dealing with is completely different and separate with different rules than the justice system. For example, the whole freedom of speech argument has no impact legally with what the NFL players do on the football field before a game. There is no first amendment protection for what they are doing as it relates to their employment. If the NFL wants to fire a player because he is kneeling they have every right to do that. There is no first amendment protection there. There might be some collectively bargain protection but that is a contractual situation not something related to the justice system. The bottom line on the point I am making is what happens to Zeke in the justice system does not preclude the NFL from taking action against him.
    I hear what you are saying and I agree it is the NFL's right to do it. However, that is a scary world. A world where a Corporation with a total monopoly decides your fate as a human being without any real due process.

  8. #23
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    7,513

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    What any company does with situations like what the NFL is dealing with is completely different and separate with different rules than the justice system. For example, the whole freedom of speech argument has no impact legally with what the NFL players do on the football field before a game. There is no first amendment protection for what they are doing as it relates to their employment. If the NFL wants to fire a player because he is kneeling they have every right to do that. There is no first amendment protection there. There might be some collectively bargain protection but that is a contractual situation not something related to the justice system. The bottom line on the point I am making is what happens to Zeke in the justice system does not preclude the NFL from taking action against him.
    I agree. But besides saying that the players signed up for it, how fair is this? Goodell caused this problem by drastically overstepping his bounds IMO.

  9. #24
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,049

    Pardon my ignorance but was Bill O'Reilly convicted of anything? I don't think he was. He was forced to resign by Fox. If all my statements there are true, what is the difference between Bill O'Reilly and Zeke Elliott?

  10. #25
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Another thing I will add is why should current players be able to bargain away rights for players that are not even in the league yet?

    Zeke was probably in middle school when the current CBA was approved.

  11. #26
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but was Bill O'Reilly convicted of anything? I don't think he was. He was forced to resign by Fox. If all my statements there are true, what is the difference between Bill O'Reilly and Zeke Elliott?
    The difference is there are lots of places for pundits to work and make a lot of cash, for professional football players it is the NFL or bust and please everyone don't hand me any CFL blah blah blah.

    Coming full circle VoR I would say the difference is the NFL is a monopoly.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    Meanwhile, I've never watched more. Other than finding something else to do for the Bengals' three hours per week, I've watched just about every game this season.
    Meanwhile, I have never watched less.
    1 game all season so far.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    mnts
    Posts
    13,807

    NFL should be able to suspend and fine players for actions on the field and things convicted of off the field.

    No way they should be their own judge and jury for crimes outside of football or even before a kid is a pro.

  14. #29
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    28,049

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    The difference is there are lots of places for pundits to work and make a lot of cash, for professional football players it is the NFL or bust and please everyone don't hand me any CFL blah blah blah.

    Coming full circle VoR I would say the difference is the NFL is a monopoly.
    Then should the NFL not be allowed to suspend players at all? The monopoly concern applies to all players and all circumstances.

  15. #30
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,110

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Then should the NFL not be allowed to suspend players at all? The monopoly concern applies to all players and all circumstances.
    I do not think the NFL should be able to suspend anyone based on unproven allegations of criminal activity.

Top