ESPN: Jameis Winston Says Employee Gave Him Seafood

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    ESPN: Jameis Winston Says Employee Gave Him Seafood

    Winston explains crab legs incident - ESPN Video

    Was a bit surprised that nobody had mentioned this one yet, but James spoke with Jim Harbaugh and explained the situation, and honestly, I think it made sense on a lot of levels. Obviously, Jameis should have known that the employee probably wasn't authorized to just give him all of that by management, but it also isn't as if he snatched them when no one was looking, hid them under his jacket and tried to sneak out of the store.

    I've always thought that this was an issue where he was either given them by a store employee, but honestly thought that the most likely scenario was that it was some kind of set-up (Florida fans are crazy and a guy did just that to Todd Gurley).

    In any event, I think people who thought that he was trying to shoplift them without any employees knowing are probably realizing that's not how things went down. I've always felt that someone in the store had to be in on it because I don't know any chain supermarket like Publix that sells delicacies like seafood and just has everything sitting out in the open-- in most cases it's handled by an employee who picks them out for you, wraps and weighs them, etc.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    I haven't read the article but why bring it up again? I thought this was in the rear view mirror and if so this has the potential to hurt him again if more negative information becomes public.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    I haven't read the article but why bring it up again? I thought this was in the rear view mirror and if so this has the potential to hurt him again if more negative information becomes public.
    It's an interview, and I think it's just a soundbite from a larger pre-draft thing like Gruden's QB camp where he was being interviewed by Jim Harbaugh.

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    It's an interview, and I think it's just a soundbite from a larger pre-draft thing like Gruden's QB camp where he was being interviewed by Jim Harbaugh.
    Hopefully he was well prepared with the big picture in mind.

  5. #5
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,768

    Impermissible benefits. Loss of six scholarships for two years and a 2016 bowl ban. I have spoken. Next!
    - The Wonderful Wizard of Amateurism

  6. #6
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    21,729

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    It's an interview, and I think it's just a soundbite from a larger pre-draft thing like Gruden's QB camp where he was being interviewed by Jim Harbaugh.
    Is it weird that the current coach at Michigan is interviewing former/recent players from other schools? Doesn't that seem like something he could use against that school in recruiting? Am I off base here?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Hopefully he was well prepared with the big picture in mind.
    I'm sure it's one of those situations that they knew would be brought up when taking the interview, and I'm guessing his people had him prepared for it.

    I think he came off well enough. We're talking about a guy who was accepted into Stanford out of high school and got a respectable 26 on the Wonderlic, which is probably as telling about his makeup as anything else.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    FSU= Free Shellfish University.

  9. #9
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild24 View Post
    Winston explains crab legs incident - ESPN Video

    Was a bit surprised that nobody had mentioned this one yet, but James spoke with Jim Harbaugh and explained the situation, and honestly, I think it made sense on a lot of levels. Obviously, Jameis should have known that the employee probably wasn't authorized to just give him all of that by management, but it also isn't as if he snatched them when no one was looking, hid them under his jacket and tried to sneak out of the store.

    I've always thought that this was an issue where he was either given them by a store employee, but honestly thought that the most likely scenario was that it was some kind of set-up (Florida fans are crazy and a guy did just that to Todd Gurley).

    In any event, I think people who thought that he was trying to shoplift them without any employees knowing are probably realizing that's not how things went down. I've always felt that someone in the store had to be in on it because I don't know any chain supermarket like Publix that sells delicacies like seafood and just has everything sitting out in the open-- in most cases it's handled by an employee who picks them out for you, wraps and weighs them, etc.
    So he admitted to breaking NCAA rules? Can FSU get penalized for this.

  10. #10
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,256

    I wonder how these two hooked up?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,018

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    So he admitted to breaking NCAA rules? Can FSU get penalized for this.
    He did, but doubtful it's more than a secondary violation that is nothing by itself and not something that is going to end up as anything meaningful for FSU. Believe there was a quote from Sandy Bell in the LHL years ago about how people buy UK's player's dinners when they see them out at restaurants, probably something like this, not really schemes.

    They'd be in trouble if it was something they knew about, but sounds like it was a fan who worked in the store and wanted to impress them, at least if Jameis is telling the truth. Someone in the store gave them to him though if I'm guessing. I don't think Jameis went and snuck behind the counter and jacked them. Honestly my first thought when I heard about it was that some crazy Florida fan set him up like they did to Gurley.

  12. #12
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,851

    Not a surprise at all that this is the real story behind the crab legs. It's what I expected the whole time.

  13. #13
    Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 10
    Location
    You were NOT hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land-mass!!
    Posts
    14,431

    Now I'm hungry for seafood....

Top