Do Bengals draft a QB in Round 1?

Page 2 of With Dalton's contract and AJ gone soon ......................... CBS Sports says yes with Baker Mayfield as the 9th pick and 3rd QB taken in Round 1. ... 26 comments | 530 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    24,556

    I don't see Mayfield as a franchise QB. I just don't think he transitions well to the NFL. I view him as an RG3 type of guy. Awesome in college in an offense that suited him well. Not able to take the beating he will if he continues with the same style of play.

    The NFL with a few exceptions, has shown, you need to be a pocket passer that can throw the deep ball, finesse short passes and be somewhat mobile when necessary. I feel like Mayfield is about half of those things on a high level. However that won't cut it in the NFL.

    I might be completely off as I haven't followed him that closely. I see him as a backup inside of 5 years in the NFL. He maybe competing for a starting job, certainly not a franchise guy.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    30,705

    Maybe this is a topic to be covered in its own thread but I will throw the question out here since we are talking quarterbacks.

    Which of these in your opinion is Baker Mayfield?

    A. Drew Brees
    B. Russell Wilson
    C. Doug Flutie
    D. Johnnie Manziel

  3. #18
    REALSPORT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    40

    I see the Texas OT in the first round and then the Ohio State C in the 2nd. Mayfield won't be drafted in round 1. I believe the Bengals may end up with two 2nd rounders. I can see them taking Mayfield there if available. He would basically be an insurance bet if they decide to move away from Andy.

    As for your question VoR, I see Mayfield slotted in just below Russell Wilson who went in the 3rd round I think.

  4. #19
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    51,605

    Quote Originally Posted by gametime View Post
    So you think Mayfield is a franchise level NFL QB, but just not one your favorite NFL team should draft. This is fantastic...

  5. #20
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,034

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I've said several times that I would love the Bengals to draft Mayfield. I just don't think upgrading the QB position while not upgrading bigger positions of need is the wisest decision. My point was this team would be better with a improved O line and an average QB, than an above average QB and the same bad O line.
    If all positions were equal this would be the play. But if any team has a QB they are not sold on, and passes on one they believe is a franchise QB, regardless of other positions, you take the QB.

  6. #21
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,384

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    If all positions were equal this would be the play. But if any team has a QB they are not sold on, and passes on one they believe is a franchise QB, regardless of other positions, you take the QB.
    Not when you have a QB who is going to start at the beginning of next season no matter who they draft. No matter who the coach is next year they are rolling with Andy Dalton Week 1. Their goal should be to do everything they can to put Andy in the best position to succeed. To me the only logical choice is taking an O Lineman. It's not like the Bengals will have a top 5 pick to take a QB, where the Bengals will be picking they would be reaching (based on the draft boards currently) if they took a QB. If they decide to draft a QB in the first round whether that be Mayfield or even Jackson then they should trade back to the middle of the first round which I would be ok with.

  7. #22
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,384

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Maybe this is a topic to be covered in its own thread but I will throw the question out here since we are talking quarterbacks.

    Which of these in your opinion is Baker Mayfield?

    A. Drew Brees
    B. Russell Wilson
    C. Doug Flutie
    D. Johnnie Manziel
    Wilson. Leadership, arm strength, competitiveness, athleticism. All of that points to a Wilson comparison to me.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,550

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Yeah I'm going Tackle in the first, then Billy Price in the 2nd. If they want to take a QB I'm taking a project in the 3rd round.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I really like Mayfield obviously, but I just don't think QB should be a top priority with other huge needs. Average QBs can be successful with a really good O line and Defense. Just look at Jacksonville and Minnesota. Case Keenum, Blake Bortles, Andy Dalton. All essentially the same guy.
    It all depends on how the pre draft stuff goes. If it looks like Mayfield will fall until late 1st. Then I would do whatever I could to trade back to get him, even if that means not getting an OL. Now if they can't trade back and have a top 5 pick. Then I take the OL and try to then trade back up in the late 1st round to get him.

    I get what you are saying about Average QB's can be successful with everything around them. However we have seen Dalton have everything around him, and it still didn't help him at all in performing well against top teams in big games. So my mind has now shifted to, if we can get a top true franchise QB who can make a difference we do that. Then spend the rest of the draft on OL and hopefully at least go sign one lineman from the money we save from then hopefully trading Dalton.

    There are 2 QB's in the draft that I view has true Franchise QB's who I think can be difference makers for their team. Those two QB's are Mayfield and Rosen.

  9. #24
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,384

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    It all depends on how the pre draft stuff goes. If it looks like Mayfield will fall until late 1st. Then I would do whatever I could to trade back to get him, even if that means not getting an OL. Now if they can't trade back and have a top 5 pick. Then I take the OL and try to then trade back up in the late 1st round to get him.

    I get what you are saying about Average QB's can be successful with everything around them. However we have seen Dalton have everything around him, and it still didn't help him at all in performing well against top teams in big games. So my mind has now shifted to, if we can get a top true franchise QB who can make a difference we do that. Then spend the rest of the draft on OL and hopefully at least go sign one lineman from the money we save from then hopefully trading Dalton.

    There are 2 QB's in the draft that I view has true Franchise QB's who I think can be difference makers for their team. Those two QB's are Mayfield and Rosen.
    I'm fine with drafting Mayfield or beefing up the O line and rolling with Dalton and a new HC. Like I mentioned we've seen Dalton with a really good team around him and it was pretty good. Can they take that next step, I don't think so, but can they take that next step with any other QB not named Rodgers or Brady, I don't think so either. Without seriously addressing the O Line it doesn't matter who is playing QB IMO. I'm fine with any direction the team wants to go
    in the draft. If they draft Mayfield I will be at the Pro Shop the next day buying a jersey. If the draft a stud OT, while I won't be buying a jersey, I think it's the best choice for the future of the franchise. We've seen how succesful young QBs can be with great O lines. Just look at the difference between Jared Goff this year and last.

  10. #25
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    9,129

    I think the Bengals staff now really like Driscell and do not see a need for a QB. I still think their two big needs are OL (anything would help) and linebacker, followed by safety. I don't think they will seriously consider a QB. If this is Mikey's thinking then it won't matter if they have a new coach, what he thinks will not trump Mikey.

    They may take a 4-7 rounds at QB, maybe.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,550

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    I think the Bengals staff now really like Driscell and do not see a need for a QB. I still think their two big needs are OL (anything would help) and linebacker, followed by safety. I don't think they will seriously consider a QB. If this is Mikey's thinking then it won't matter if they have a new coach, what he thinks will not trump Mikey.

    They may take a 4-7 rounds at QB, maybe.
    You are completely right they aren't going to truly look at qb. I just wish they would even though i know it will go exactly as you stated.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,550

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I'm fine with drafting Mayfield or beefing up the O line and rolling with Dalton and a new HC. Like I mentioned we've seen Dalton with a really good team around him and it was pretty good. Can they take that next step, I don't think so, but can they take that next step with any other QB not named Rodgers or Brady, I don't think so either. Without seriously addressing the O Line it doesn't matter who is playing QB IMO. I'm fine with any direction the team wants to go
    in the draft. If they draft Mayfield I will be at the Pro Shop the next day buying a jersey. If the draft a stud OT, while I won't be buying a jersey, I think it's the best choice for the future of the franchise. We've seen how succesful young QBs can be with great O lines. Just look at the difference between Jared Goff this year and last.
    7 years Dalton has had 2 good years. Even in those 2 good years their record against good teams was bad, and Bengals were regarded as having one of the most talented teams in the league and yet Dalton still didn't perform against good teams in those years. That is why I think just surrounding him with talent again is not going to get us over the top, just back to the playoffs. But my feelings are well known on that so no need to talk about that again.

    If they can get Rosen or Mayfield I would do it. Trade Dalton get more picks, save money from trading him and use the extra money and draft picks on line.

Top