Cowboys sign La'el Collins

  1. #1
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Cowboys sign La'el Collins

    Per NFL.com
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    Haven't heard much, is there anything new on it? I hope it comes out he wasn't involved. If so, I hope he does well.

  3. #3
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,419

    Definitely worth the risk.

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Like it or not the NFL is a business. I would have spent a 7th round pick on him if I was any of the 32 teams.

  5. #5
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Like it or not the NFL is a business. I would have spent a 7th round pick on him if I was any of the 32 teams.
    Agreed. And reports are that he passed the lie detector and is not the child's father Maury. I'm no Cowboy fan but love the fact that the jackwagon Rex Ryan who, illegally mind you, had a covert meeting with him about going to Buffalo, misses out.

  6. #6
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Agreed. And reports are that he passed the lie detector and is not the child's father Maury. I'm no Cowboy fan but love the fact that the jackwagon Rex Ryan who, illegally mind you, had a covert meeting with him about going to Buffalo, misses out.
    I am not a Ryan fan but at least he was upfront about his contact unlike many other teams working the back channels.

    I talked with a friend about Collins the night of the first round, I would have taken him late and maybe used him as trade bait if taking him didn't sit well with him. Think of the 2016 draft choice a team would have received in a trade. Probably a second rounder in exchange for a 7th round pick.

    I hate that this makes Jerry Jones look smart when really it was all 32 teams looking dumb.

    Furthermore, I wonder if the league secretly put out the word not to draft him on day two for any one of various reasons. When you don't trust the NFL (and I am on record many times saying I don't trust the NFL - but will still watch) anything is possible.

  7. #7
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    In no way was Rex forthcoming. He had no comment when asked if he met with him.

    I hate it for the kid really. Now he has to play his way to any significant money.

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    In no way was Rex forthcoming. He had no comment when asked if he met with him.

    I hate it for the kid really. Now he has to play his way to any significant money.
    Maybe at first, I really didn't follow it, but I did see where Rex admitted to having dinner with him.

  9. #9
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    In no way was Rex forthcoming. He had no comment when asked if he met with him.

    I hate it for the kid really. Now he has to play his way to any significant money.
    What are the rules/limits on paying rookie free agents? Can he sign a one year deal? Is there a limit to his signing bonus? How can this process be fair and protect the integrity of the game?

  10. #10
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    However it happened, Cowboys hit the lotto.

  11. #11
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,148

    He signed a 3 year deal worth $1.7 million. The contract is fully guaranteed.

  12. #12
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,870

    Quote Originally Posted by halfback20 View Post
    He signed a 3 year deal worth $1.7 million. The contract is fully guaranteed.
    Thanks, sounds fair I think.

  13. #13
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    What are the rules/limits on paying rookie free agents? Can he sign a one year deal? Is there a limit to his signing bonus? How can this process be fair and protect the integrity of the game?
    Yes, there's a limit. Each team has a cap of $86,957 to spend on signing bonuses for all of their undrafted signings. So, technically, if a team wanted to blow all their cap bonus on Collins he could earn a max of $521,957 his rookie season. A far cry from a 1st round deal.

  14. #14
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    9,240

    Guy had first round talent. What they will be paying for him will be well worth the risk. He will push for a starting spot early but I think it will take him about a year to get his shot.

  15. #15
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    52,148

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post

    Thanks, sounds fair I think.
    Fully guaranteed is probably better than any rookie free agent gets.

Top