Browns' Brantley Cleared of Battery

  1. #1
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    Browns' Brantley Cleared of Battery

    Browns 6th round draft pick, DT Caleb Brantley, was cleared of battery charges by the State Attorney of Florida. He had been accused of punching a woman and seriously injuring her. From the beginning the accusation was disputed by a third-party witness. This explains why Cleveland drafted Brantley in spite of the April 13 incident.

    The State Attorney's said there was no reliable evidence to charge Brantley. Because of the notoriety of the complaint, they issued a statement detailing why no charges were brought.

    Because of "the notoriety involved in this matter," the release outlined four reasons for not charging the 6-2, 307-pound defensive tackle:

    * The alleged victim had been drinking heavily despite being underaged, and was initially un-cooperative. He said she initially denied being assaulted and has little or no memory of what actually happened.

    * Witnesses on her behalf had also been drinking and provided conflicting accounts of the incident, which called "into serious question the accuracy of what they say.''

    * Their testimony contradicted that of Brantley and witnesses on his behalf, and "most importantly an apparently neutral witness who supports Brantley's version of events."

    * Finally, Cervone said reports of a significant injury to the alleged victim were inaccurate and that any minor injury she sustained was "inconsistent with any great force having been used against her."

    He added that the victim's friends engaged Brantley in an unpleasant verbal exchange, "during which the alleged victim began to physically punch or assault Brantley, causing him to shove her away.''

    Citing Florida's Stand Your Ground law, Cervone said "Brantley had the legal right to defend himself by pushing away someone who was punching and assaulting him. While it may not be popularly approved of or morally appropriate, that the alleged victim is a female of smaller stature than he, does not change that.''

    Cervone stressed that "there is a clear lack of evidence to prove guilt of any criminal offense beyond a reasonable doubt.''

    He said it would be inappropriate to file charges, and closed the case.


    The Browns did due diligence before the draft and believed the charges would come to nothing. As a result, they got a player with 2nd round talent in the 6th round.

    Here's where the real rub comes in. The false accusation cost Brantley millions of dollars because he dropped from the second round to the sixth round. Good for the Browns but not for Brantley.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,666

    Ok so now charge the girl.

  3. #3
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    agreed

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,038

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Ok so now charge the girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    agreed
    You guys crack me up.

    In principle I agree but I would need to know a lot more about this case.

    That is just terrible on dropping all those rounds. Life is not fair and this sounds like one of those times.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 09
    Location
    california,ky
    Posts
    146

    If he plays like he can,he'll make it up....and then some. Life is not fair!!!

  6. #6
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    You guys crack me up.

    In principle I agree but I would need to know a lot more about this case.

    That is just terrible on dropping all those rounds. Life is not fair and this sounds like one of those times.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    agreed
    Mine was not a serious comment meaning, arrest her. It was a comment regarding principle and false accusation. It's too easy to accuse someone. And it ain't right. At the very least you taint someone's name. That means something to me.

    Unintended consequences of turning around and charging the accuser is that others who are actually battered may not file charges because they are afraid the charges will be dropped and then they will be charged with filing a false report or somethung. I understand that. But the principle of holding false accusers accountable is what my comment is regarding.

  7. #7
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,666

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    Mine was not a serious comment meaning, arrest her. It was a comment regarding principle and false accusation. It's too easy to accuse someone. And it ain't right. At the very least you taint someone's name. That means something to me.

    Unintended consequences of turning around and charging the accuser is that others who are actually battered may not file charges because they are afraid the charges will be dropped and then they will be charged with filing a false report or somethung. I understand that. But the principle of holding false accusers accountable is what my comment is regarding.
    You mis understood me. I didnt me charge her for false accusations, Ieant charge her for the assault that the police clearly state she committed.

  8. #8
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    You mis understood me. I didnt me charge her for false accusations, Ieant charge her for the assault that the police clearly state she committed.
    My response was to our venerable Hindu holy man.

    And... you are correct, I misunderstood what you intended.

  9. #9
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    BTW, my main point in this thread is that I am very happy for the Browns. If this guy turns out like he was projected, they got a steal and added depth to their DL.

  10. #10
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    133,038

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    BTW, my main point in this thread is that I am very happy for the Browns. If this guy turns out like he was projected, they got a steal and added depth to their DL.
    I am happy for the Browns too and I hope the young man cashes in on a 2nd contract down the road.

  11. #11
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    2,763

    ^ That would be ideal for the Browns and Brantley.

Top