Bengals have most draft picks on roster

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,189

    Bengals have most draft picks on roster

    To show how well overall the Bengals have drafted over the last 4 or years the Bengals currently have the most original draft picks on their roster with 37 guys. Which shows that they are drafting pretty well to have gotten to the playoffs 4 straight years with basically guys they have drafted.

    The only problem is obviously the QB they drafted in Dalton has won a lot of games, but doesn't show up when it matters most. Then now three of their star players from these drafts in Geno, Green, and Burfict have started to become injury prone with two of them having major injuries in Geno and Burfict.

    Hopefully they can have another good draft this year but at the end of the day it will still come down to being healthy and most importantly the QB play of Dalton.

    Inside Slant: Taking stock of homegrown talent - NFL Nation - ESPN
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,855

    Great summary fc, the Bengals have to continue to draft well, we have to stay healthy and Andy...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Marvin and Mike are geniuses or Marvin and Mike managed to keep guys no one else wanted?

  4. #4
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,855

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    Marvin and Mike are geniuses or Marvin and Mike managed to keep guys no one else wanted?
    Making the playoffs consistently debunks that myth.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,189

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    Marvin and Mike are geniuses or Marvin and Mike managed to keep guys no one else wanted?
    As much as it sucks that the Bengals have failed consistently in the playoffs. Making the playoffs is obviously something that most team have a hard time even making it and definitely a hard time making consistently unless your a team with a top QB. Which we know we don't have a top QB in Dalton, so for the Bengals to have a team with mostly draft picks to make the playoffs consistently with an average at best QB is saying something.

    Now obviously just making the playoffs is not enough though and that is where QB play and in game coaching is huge when playoffs start and that is where the Bengals struggle.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,925

    Drafts have been solid. We surely couldn't say that in the past. The QB and lack of star power has held them back. They need to keep Green. I don't think VB will get over his problems. He's one head shot away from the funny farm. I really like the RB that they got last year.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    To show how well overall the Bengals have drafted over the last 4 or years the Bengals currently have the most original draft picks on their roster with 37 guys. Which shows that they are drafting pretty well to have gotten to the playoffs 4 straight years with basically guys they have drafted.

    The only problem is obviously the QB they drafted in Dalton has won a lot of games, but doesn't show up when it matters most. Then now three of their star players from these drafts in Geno, Green, and Burfict have started to become injury prone with two of them having major injuries in Geno and Burfict.

    Hopefully they can have another good draft this year but at the end of the day it will still come down to being healthy and most importantly the QB play of Dalton.

    Inside Slant: Taking stock of homegrown talent - NFL Nation - ESPN
    That is the mosst misleading stat ever. If you go back through the last 20 years the Bengals have always been near the top of all teams with the most draft picks on the roster. That means absolutley nothing. These same draft picks have yet to produce a post season victory so who cares how many draft picks are on the roster?

    The stat means diddly unless you realize how little they go out and get guys they could use in free agency. It tells me they are still cheap and unwilling to spend money on big time free agents that can help the team. Just like last year not going out and getting the WR's I said they needed and yo laughed at, where did that get them down the road when their WR's were hurt and they were left with a scrub team come the playoffs?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,189

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    That is the mosst misleading stat ever. If you go back through the last 20 years the Bengals have always been near the top of all teams with the most draft picks on the roster. That means absolutley nothing. These same draft picks have yet to produce a post season victory so who cares how many draft picks are on the roster?

    The stat means diddly unless you realize how little they go out and get guys they could use in free agency. It tells me they are still cheap and unwilling to spend money on big time free agents that can help the team. Just like last year not going out and getting the WR's I said they needed and yo laughed at, where did that get them down the road when their WR's were hurt and they were left with a scrub team come the playoffs?
    Dude you don't even remember the years you argue stuff do you? It was not last off season when you were on your huge sign wr to big money kick. You completely contradict yourself on stuff. You want them to over pay on receivers like a Mike Wallace but then you complain if the Bengals are not smart with money to keep their own talent. With what you wanted you would have wanted the Bengals to spend over ten million a year on a number 2 reciever like a Mike Wallace and then spend over another ten million a year to eventually try to extend Green. Which as I stated your whole wr kick was two years ago and well the Bengals finished in the top ten in passing that year that they didn't get a top free agent wr like you wanted. In fact they had Green doing his thing and then Marvin Jones being a legit number two and scoring over 10 touchdowns in that season. Which while we seen Sanu is no number one reciever he is a good third reciever to have. So basically you wanted them to spend huge money on a potential number three or four receiver and so this way you could then complain how they Dont have money to keep their own, yeah seems about right for you. Their wr core was a mess last year because their number two didn't play a down. Their star receiver didn't play five games. Their number four recover Wright then got hurt, their best pass catching Te played one series. When the year before when healthy they were a top ten passing offense with those guys. So yeah go ahead and just keep beating that drum if you want.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,189

    Also hellbird the Bengals of old usually had their draft picks out of the league in two years and they had a lot of washed up free agents with them and why they sucked. Their draft picks now have won games and made playoffs.

    Which once again you completely contradict yourself as I have told you many of times. You can't go on and on about Dalton being worst qb in the league, Lewis worst coach in the league. Then turn around and say well the other players they drafted can't be that good since they can't win playoff games. If they have the worst qb and coach in the league then the rest of team must be better than you give credit for to even make the playoffs. Teams with a horrible qb usually Dont win. Teams with a horrible coach usually Dont win. So if a team has the two worst in the league you would think they be lucky to win a game then. Yet not only do they win they make the playoffs but then you complain since they can't win playoffs even though they have the worst qb and coach in the league according to you. Your arguments just Dont ever add up you are everywhere with them.

    I respect that everyone has an opinion. However your own opinions that you drastically share over and over just never add up and completely contradicts your other opinions. So at least have them fit together in some way.

  10. #10
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Marvin would make a pretty good GM apparently. He's just not a good coach. Can we "promote" him?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Posts
    7,358

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Marvin would make a pretty good GM apparently. He's just not a good coach. Can we "promote" him?
    I'm for it....only if HB will agree to coach though.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by NKY Bandit View Post
    I'm for it....only if HB will agree to coach though.
    I couldn't do worse than the current coach.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Dude you don't even remember the years you argue stuff do you? It was not last off season when you were on your huge sign wr to big money kick. You completely contradict yourself on stuff. You want them to over pay on receivers like a Mike Wallace but then you complain if the Bengals are not smart with money to keep their own talent. With what you wanted you would have wanted the Bengals to spend over ten million a year on a number 2 reciever like a Mike Wallace and then spend over another ten million a year to eventually try to extend Green. Which as I stated your whole wr kick was two years ago and well the Bengals finished in the top ten in passing that year that they didn't get a top free agent wr like you wanted. In fact they had Green doing his thing and then Marvin Jones being a legit number two and scoring over 10 touchdowns in that season. Which while we seen Sanu is no number one reciever he is a good third reciever to have. So basically you wanted them to spend huge money on a potential number three or four receiver and so this way you could then complain how they Dont have money to keep their own, yeah seems about right for you. Their wr core was a mess last year because their number two didn't play a down. Their star receiver didn't play five games. Their number four recover Wright then got hurt, their best pass catching Te played one series. When the year before when healthy they were a top ten passing offense with those guys. So yeah go ahead and just keep beating that drum if you want.
    Hmmm you seem to remember me talking about wanting a wr like Wallace but you then say I said not to go out and get impact free agents. Sorry FC but it's you that has the short memory.

    Again in if we went and got one of the many good WR's that year we wouldn't have been in the predicament we were in last year. Again you talk in circles.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,189

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    Hmmm you seem to remember me talking about wanting a wr like Wallace but you then say I said not to go out and get impact free agents. Sorry FC but it's you that has the short memory.

    Again in if we went and got one of the many good WR's that year we wouldn't have been in the predicament we were in last year. Again you talk in circles.
    Look at the contracts those guys you wanted got. Shoot have their production even met their contracts. So you would be fine losing out on some of their own guys to pay over ten million dollars each to two wrs? When the wr core that same year proved when healthy it was much better than you ever thought and stats show that by being a top ten passing offense. A pro bowl receiver, another reciever with over ten touchdowns, Sanu a solid three. Wr core only became a issue once their number two receiver didn't play a snap and their number one who is a pro bowler missed five games.

    I'm all for them adding another speed quick receiver since Hawkins is now gone. However it was still smart not to pay the money to the receivers you were wanting bad business. Also means you then can't keep some of your own. Then someone like you could then complain how they draft players and then don't spend money to keep them. Just round and round you go. Just like how your Dalton and Marvin being worst in the league basically contradicts anything else you can say about the team failing and saying that proves the other guys are bad. Just dancing around your own opinions that contradict each other.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Look at the contracts those guys you wanted got. Shoot have their production even met their contracts. So you would be fine losing out on some of their own guys to pay over ten million dollars each to two wrs? When the wr core that same year proved when healthy it was much better than you ever thought and stats show that by being a top ten passing offense. A pro bowl receiver, another reciever with over ten touchdowns, Sanu a solid three. Wr core only became a issue once their number two receiver didn't play a snap and their number one who is a pro bowler missed five games.

    I'm all for them adding another speed quick receiver since Hawkins is now gone. However it was still smart not to pay the money to the receivers you were wanting bad business. Also means you then can't keep some of your own. Then someone like you could then complain how they draft players and then don't spend money to keep them. Just round and round you go. Just like how your Dalton and Marvin being worst in the league basically contradicts anything else you can say about the team failing and saying that proves the other guys are bad. Just dancing around your own opinions that contradict each other.
    Would I be fine with them getting a quality wr who have proven themselves and still in their prime than pay big bucks for players like Peko and Malaluga.....YES!!!!!!!!

    if you paid close
    enough attention to what I've said as you think you have I've said over and over there is a difference in spending on your own when they are worth it such as AJ Green or Burfict etc. not overpay for their own avg players like Peko, Malaluga etc. so stop trying to state things you think I've said in the past when you aren't even close

Top