Bengals Coaching Staff

  1. #1
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,506

    Bengals Coach Staff

    While we obviously have to wait for the formal introduction for Zac Taylor as the new Bengals head coach, it appears there's already some indication as to who might join him on the staff.

    Bengals hiring Brian Callahan as OC, per Jon Gruden

    At least according to Jon Gruden, Brian Callahan will be the next Bengals OC. He's got just 9 years experience, most recently being the Raiders QB coach.

    The article aslo says that his dad, Bill Calahan, may be coming to be the offensive line coach.

    I also saw that the DC job was likely down to between Jack Del Rio and John Fox, with Del Rio being the favorite. I like the fact that, with either one of them, there'd be someone on the staff that's had some head coaching experience.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,978

    Taylor has some connection with Bill Callahan but I can't remember what it is, so I am not surprised to hear about him coming on board. I really like hiring an experienced defensive coordinator. I heard an analyst talking shortly after Taylor was hired and he said it would be critical for Taylor to hire a very experienced defensive coordinator because of his lack of on that side of the ball.

  3. #3
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    13,148

    Zac Taylor
    Brian Callahan
    Jack Del Rio

    I’ll take it.

  4. #4
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    821

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Taylor has some connection with Bill Callahan but I can't remember what it is, so I am not surprised to hear about him coming on board. I really like hiring an experienced defensive coordinator. I heard an analyst talking shortly after Taylor was hired and he said it would be critical for Taylor to hire a very experienced defensive coordinator because of his lack of on that side of the ball.
    I believe Bill was his head coach at Nebraska when Zac quarterbacked there. Sounds like he is a lock to be the O-line coach, a position (unlike head coach) he is very highly regarded in.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.

  6. #6
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    821

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.
    Zac is friends with Sean McVay, the Bengals will be fine. Heck, I saw them hug once on the sideline...we are good!!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    8,721

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.
    Everybody who is calling plays in the NFL, at some point, had zero experience calling plays in the NFL. And anyone who is available that has experience, has likely been fired. Iíve got no issues hiring a first time coordinator.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,392

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    I believe Bill was his head coach at Nebraska when Zac quarterbacked there. Sounds like he is a lock to be the O-line coach, a position (unlike head coach) he is very highly regarded in.
    He is still actually under contract with the Washinton Redskins. They say he is trying to get out of his contract, but ultimately it depends if the Redskins let him. If they do then yeah its probably a lock he will be here.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,392

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Everybody who is calling plays in the NFL, at some point, had zero experience calling plays in the NFL. And anyone who is available that has experience, has likely been fired. I’ve got no issues hiring a first time coordinator.
    Exactly! At one point Sean McVay had never called a play. Shoot he was only 28 years old when he became Washingtons Offensive Coordinator under Jay Gruden. I say that worked out.

    So yeah the chances of it working out or not working out. Is about the same as if they hired someone with experience.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,392

    I have no idea if this is how it will play out. However Zac Taylor's father in law is Mike Sherman. He has been a head coach at multiple places and also a OC. He is regarded by some as also one of the best o line coaches in football too. So maybe we will see Bill Callahan be the OL coach who is also one of the best, and then Mike Sherman and Assistant Head Coach and Running back coach. Allow Mike and Bill design the running game, and then young offensive guys the passing game. That would be a nice mix of old experience coaches with new younger coaches.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Everybody who is calling plays in the NFL, at some point, had zero experience calling plays in the NFL. And anyone who is available that has experience, has likely been fired. I’ve got no issues hiring a first time coordinator.
    I agree with what you posted. But if hiring a first time coordinator with no play calling experience, I would hope the head coach had more experience calling plays to assist. Or vice versa. Them both being relatively new to play calling is what gives me pause.

    With that said, it may work out completely fine and I’ll be glad that my hesitation is unfounded.

Top