Bengals 53 Man Roster Projection

Page 3 of OffenseQuarterback (2) Andy Dalton AJ McCarron Wide Receiver (7) A.J. Green Brandon LaFell Tyler Boyd Cody Core Alex Erickson John Ross Josh Malone Run... 44 comments | 1952 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31
    MentschTrachtGottLacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 13
    Location
    Tri-State
    Posts
    13,651

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    I don't see Hewitt making it.
    Either Hewitt or Cethan Carter will be on the 53 man roster. They need a dude who can block and not a flex TE who gets pushed around. One of those dudes virtually have to make the team, I give Hewitt the edge unless they want to save his $1.7 million salary.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,295

    Quote Originally Posted by MentschTrachtGottLacht View Post
    Either Hewitt or Cethan Carter will be on the 53 man roster. They need a dude who can block and not a flex TE who gets pushed around. One of those dudes virtually have to make the team, I give Hewitt the edge unless they want to save his $1.7 million salary.
    We will see, but I don't see it if they really go spread. I like Hewitt a lot and his versatility but he is average at the three positions. He is good in the open type of blocker, very average between the tackles.

    I will say, that Marvin going to a spread like offense is against his character. However, they do not have the o-line to pound the rock or protect the drop back, read the total field and hit the open guy. AD nearly got killed last year. It is only a matter of time if they do what they did last year, that he gets hurt.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,625

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    We will see, but I don't see it if they really go spread. I like Hewitt a lot and his versatility but he is average at the three positions. He is good in the open type of blocker, very average between the tackles.

    I will say, that Marvin going to a spread like offense is against his character. However, they do not have the o-line to pound the rock or protect the drop back, read the total field and hit the open guy. AD nearly got killed last year. It is only a matter of time if they do what they did last year, that he gets hurt.
    I truly get what you are saying. However you say he is only average at those three spots. However what do you call the current backup TEs? I don't think you can call them anymore than average so far either. So if they all are average, it makes sense to keep the guy who is more versatile.

    I honestly think Kroft will be the odd man out. I think Uzomah (sp.) Has more upside than Kroft, and Kroft will end up out.

  4. #34
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,295

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    I truly get what you are saying. However you say he is only average at those three spots. However what do you call the current backup TEs? I don't think you can call them anymore than average so far either. So if they all are average, it makes sense to keep the guy who is more versatile.

    I honestly think Kroft will be the odd man out. I think Uzomah (sp.) Has more upside than Kroft, and Kroft will end up out.
    They are all average at best. I just don't see them using the h-back or fullback at all.

    I see the 5 linemen, AD, one back, Eifert, and three receivers most of the time, if not all. At times either no TE or RB and 4 Wr's. I think the key is what do they do with LaFell. Lewis loves dependable vets and really who doesn't. He kept Tate forever because of his dependability. LaFell is a better receiver than Tate, but no special team. If they really think that the rook is ready at WR then LaFell might go also, but I doubt it.

    I see most of the time,

    O-line
    AD
    Mixon/Gio
    AJ/Boyd/Ross
    Eifert

    Just no room for Hewitt or maybe LaFell and one of the TE's

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,625

    We are in complete agreement with how we think the Bengals offense will be ran. I agree it will be more of a spread. Dalton is better out of the spread, and that is a reason they really wanted Mixon, because he is a big back but also can move and fits the spread. Which is what killed Hill, because his best success was when they were under center in 2014, and he hasn't done well the last two years with them transitioning more to gun. So we are in agreement in the direction they are going on offense.

    IMO they still are going to keep 3 guys who can at least play TE. Eifert is a given, I just don't think they will keep both Uzomah, and Kroft for the same reasons you just mentioned. They are going to spread teams out more, so useless to have 3 guys who ONLY play TE. I see them keeping Eifert and Uzomah, and Hewitt, because even though they are going to more spread. Lewis still likes the idea of having a guy who can block. Hewitt fills that Reggie Kelly mold, who Lewis loved so much. He was able to lineup as a TE, and or FB when needed. With them being more of a spread team, it makes very little sense to keep 3 TE's who can only play TE.

    As for Lafell, I mentioned it after the draft. I honestly would prefer them to move on from Lafell, if the young WR's show well during Training Camp. If they keep Lafell, it hurts the development of the young WR's, and especially since he doesn't bring another dimension to this offense. I get his Veteran experience, which hopefully his one year with the Bengals. Has helped Green out enough, with Green being in the league 6 years now, Green should and needs to take more of that leadership.

    I would like to see them get rid of Lafell, and Kroft. Then keep an extra lineman on either side of the ball. So we agree on the philosophy the Bengals are going to, just disagree on the personnel they are going to use to get there lol.

  6. #36
    nkufan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,132

    I think 7th Round pick TE Mason Schreck should be in the mix. He's going to be a good one.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,625

    Quote Originally Posted by nkufan23 View Post
    I think 7th Round pick TE Mason Schreck should be in the mix. He's going to be a good one.
    I see him being cut and then added to the practice squad.

  8. #38
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    8,406

    Lewis said Ross still not medically cleared and Mixon needs to get in shape.

  9. #39
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,295

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Lewis said Ross still not medically cleared and Mixon needs to get in shape.
    It's May

  10. #40
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    8,406

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    It's May
    Yep it is almost time for football.

  11. #41
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,671

    Isnt Hewitt the backup longsnapper?

  12. #42

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    10,935

    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    I don't see Hewitt making it. He plays limited amount of snaps. Cedric is too valuable on Special teams to cut over Hewitt. If they keep 7 WR's then he will be used less because of the wide open offense I think they are evolving to.
    Didn't they just extend Hewitt's contract last year?? Like 4-5 years??

  13. #43
    Bengal Maniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 10
    Location
    Wherever I want to be
    Posts
    8,295

    Quote Originally Posted by 16thBBall Fan View Post
    Didn't they just extend Hewitt's contract last year?? Like 4-5 years??
    Yes, but they can cut him any time and not cost much or anything. These things usually are not guaranteed beyond signing bonuses

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    19,625

    Quote Originally Posted by 16thBBall Fan View Post
    Didn't they just extend Hewitt's contract last year?? Like 4-5 years??
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengal Maniac View Post
    Yes, but they can cut him any time and not cost much or anything. These things usually are not guaranteed beyond signing bonuses
    That is true. It wouldn't cost much to cut him at all. Money won't be an issue for really any of the guys they could cut. Hewitt or one of the other backup TE's could be cut without losing much at all. It just comes down to what they are looking more for.

  15. #45

Top