AJ McCarron Released by Oakland

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    AJ McCarron Released by Oakland

    AJ was released yesterday by the Oakland Raiders. Itís beginning to look like more and more teams are realizing he is nothing more than an expendable backup in the league.

    Veteran WR Nelson, QB McCarron cut by Raiders
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    479

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    AJ was released yesterday by the Oakland Raiders. It’s beginning to look like more and more teams are realizing he is nothing more than an expendable backup in the league.

    Veteran WR Nelson, QB McCarron cut by Raiders
    Some on here will be begging Cincy to pick him up as a starting QB.

    This does show how great the talent was around the Red Rifle in one of his best years. That showing in place of Andy was impressive from a backup with limited experience, and, well, we see where he stands talent wise since then.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,312

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    AJ was released yesterday by the Oakland Raiders. It’s beginning to look like more and more teams are realizing he is nothing more than an expendable backup in the league.

    Veteran WR Nelson, QB McCarron cut by Raiders
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenWyngz View Post
    Some on here will be begging Cincy to pick him up as a starting QB.

    This does show how great the talent was around the Red Rifle in one of his best years. That showing in place of Andy was impressive from a backup with limited experience, and, well, we see where he stands talent wise since then.
    Imo that shows even more what I have said for awhile. If Dalton wasnt fortunate enough to have a top 5 talented team around him his most of his first 5 years in the league. He probably would have became a backup in this league by now himself. If you look at his numbers in 2014 when some wrs got hurt they were bad. Then when you look at his numbers the last few years when talent level is down. Doesnt show numbers that make you say yes this guy is a starting NFL qb.

    At the end of the day and I said this when I wanted McCarron as the starter. Both he and Dalton need a lot around them to be successful. The biggest difference is I trusted McCarron more to possibly do more in the big moments with talent around him than Dalton. Which on a limited sample size McCarron did show that he possibly may be better in the biggest games than Dalton when they have similar talent.

    Quite honestly I would be fine if they brought in McCarron and traded Dalton still to get more picks. They need a true franchise qb, and this way they could gear up to go all out to get one in 2020 draft. While saving money now and getting another pick my trading Dalton.

  4. #4
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,349

    I, for one, want to see what Taylor (a supposed QB guru) does with Dalton.

  5. #5
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,287

    It also shows the Bengals are mostly bad at drafting QBs.

    While I am at it, add OL and LB to that list.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,312

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    I, for one, want to see what Taylor (a supposed QB guru) does with Dalton.
    I would like to see what he could do with a QB like Rosen after the Cardinals draft Murray. However, that is not going to happen. So I hope he does a great job with Dalton. I just don't think the coach is all of a sudden going to make Dalton play well in the biggest games. Dalton had all the talent around his first 5 years, and yet still struggle in those games. While his backup QB with no experience, did better in those moments than we ever seen Dalton do. So I don't think a new coach will make a QB play better in the big moments, but hopefully I am wrong since it will be Dalton.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,312

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    It also shows the Bengals are mostly bad at drafting QBs.

    While I am at it, add OL and LB to that list.
    Yes and no lol. I mean the Bengals have basically started only 2 QB's over the last 16 years. Which is better than most teams. The problem is Dalton may be the worst type of QB to have on a team. He is not good enough to get over the top, but not completely bad enough to where your team will ever have a top 5 pick. Basically just makes it impossible for a team to move on because of fear of maybe finding someone worst. Yet it also keeps you from taking the next step. The Chiefs finally realized that with Alex Smith and was willing to give up good draft picks to get that franchise changing QB. I was hoping Zac Taylor would want to do the same, but with him being a first year head coach. Im sure he wants to go with the safe route too it looks like.

  8. #8
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    148,287

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Yes and no lol. I mean the Bengals have basically started only 2 QB's over the last 16 years. Which is better than most teams. The problem is Dalton may be the worst type of QB to have on a team. He is not good enough to get over the top, but not completely bad enough to where your team will ever have a top 5 pick. Basically just makes it impossible for a team to move on because of fear of maybe finding someone worst. Yet it also keeps you from taking the next step. The Chiefs finally realized that with Alex Smith and was willing to give up good draft picks to get that franchise changing QB. I was hoping Zac Taylor would want to do the same, but with him being a first year head coach. Im sure he wants to go with the safe route too it looks like.
    I agree Carson Palmer was pretty good.

    I was sticking more to the present with AJ and Andy.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,790

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    AJ was released yesterday by the Oakland Raiders. It’s beginning to look like more and more teams are realizing he is nothing more than an expendable backup in the league.

    Veteran WR Nelson, QB McCarron cut by Raiders
    When you are getting cut by the Bills and Raiders (cannot even make these teams as a backup), you are simply not that good. I do think he is most likely better than any backup the Bengals have though.

  10. #10
    newarkcatholicfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Buckeye Lake, Ohio
    Posts
    41,780

    Never thought he was close to an NFL quarterback.

  11. #11
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,638

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Imo that shows even more what I have said for awhile. If Dalton wasnt fortunate enough to have a top 5 talented team around him his most of his first 5 years in the league. He probably would have became a backup in this league by now himself. If you look at his numbers in 2014 when some wrs got hurt they were bad. Then when you look at his numbers the last few years when talent level is down. Doesnt show numbers that make you say yes this guy is a starting NFL qb.

    At the end of the day and I said this when I wanted McCarron as the starter. Both he and Dalton need a lot around them to be successful. The biggest difference is I trusted McCarron more to possibly do more in the big moments with talent around him than Dalton. Which on a limited sample size McCarron did show that he possibly may be better in the biggest games than Dalton when they have similar talent.

    Quite honestly I would be fine if they brought in McCarron and traded Dalton still to get more picks. They need a true franchise qb, and this way they could gear up to go all out to get one in 2020 draft. While saving money now and getting another pick my trading Dalton.
    You give an awful lot of credit to McCarron for making a couple good plays in a big game.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,312

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    You give an awful lot of credit to McCarron for making a couple good plays in a big game.
    Very true it is a very limited sample size. However his limited sample size still has shown more in his few big games than Dalton has basically his whole career. McCarron performed better in his one playoff game in the rain, than Dalton has in 4. Which 3 of them were in domes. I think for me its just more my complete lack of faith in Dalton in big games when all eyes are on him. I seen Dalton not make the plays when they were there to be had to win in the playoffs. While I seen McCarron be able to shake off not playing well for 3 quarters in the rain, to make the throw that should have won it. Dalton in the 2012 playoff game after 32 games of experience missed the throw by 3 yards when he has a chance to get the lead with 3 minutes left. 4 playoff games suggest cant trust Dalton to make the plays in those moments. So it's more lack of faith in Dalton. To where I would trust what looks to be a journeyman backup to make the play more than him.

    Quite honestly the guy I wish the Bengals would try to make a play for if he is available via trade is Josh Rosen. But the Bengals wouldnt ever probably even consider taking a chance like that. It took them 16 years to move on from what was safe in Lewis. Probably will be the same with Dalton.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,790

    Quote Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
    Never thought he was close to an NFL quarterback.
    I've just never understood why people like AJ that much...he is no better than a backup NFL QB and if you ranked backup QB's, he is in the bottom half IMO.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,312

    Quote Originally Posted by ggclfan View Post
    I've just never understood why people like AJ that much...he is no better than a backup NFL QB and if you ranked backup QB's, he is in the bottom half IMO.
    Once again I think that is a reflection of what people think of Dalton. Dalton was basically given a top 5 NFL roster talent wise his first 5 years. So he always has 5 playoffs on his resume. However people also see how during those 5 seasons he honesty sucked under the bright lights or against top teams. Prime time games and playoff games he was completely awful. Qb play was one of the biggest reasons why they could not win a playoff game. His numbers reflect that. Qbs in the playoffs have to make at least some plays to win games. Even Blake Bortles managed to make some plays to help his team win playoff games. Dalton has done just the opposite. When he has had chances to make plays in playoffs he couldn't. He had that chance in the 2012 playoff game to get the lead with 3 minutes left and over threw Green on what would have been a td. McCarron on the other hand when given a chance to make a play at the end did make that play, and he did that with only 3 games experience.

    Then everyone acknowledges that Dalton needs a lot around him to do well and win. Well when you look at his numbers in 2014 when people were hurt it was not good. Then look at his numbers and team record last 3 years not good. So if it wasnt for having a top 5 talented team that helped get them to the playoffs his first 5 years. He may have been more looked at as a backup qb type too.

    So just comes down to if both McCarron and Dalton need a lot around them to be great for them to do well. Then some were willing to let the guy who looks like he can make a play in the bigger moments, who probably would get better with more starting experience rather than waste it like we seen with Dalton. Because at the end of the day qb play is a huge reason why they struggled in playoffs and Daltons playoff stats reflect that.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,790

    How good Andy Dalton is or is not has NOTHING to do with my opinion of AJ. I don't think it has anything to do with other GM's who are cutting AJ either. I don't think he could get a starting job with ANY team in the NFL right now and he may have a hard time getting a back-up job. Again, that has nothing to do with Andy Dalton...

Top