AFC North Preview - Cleveland Emphasis

  1. #1
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,392

    AFC North Preview - Cleveland Emphasis

    Peter King of SI was in Cleveland the other day where he gave an interview to Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. It seems he follows her to stay up-to-date on the Browns. King mentioned he was in Pittsburgh the day before and he asked them about the teams in their division. A couple of guys who have been in Pittsburgh for a long time and who Peter King trusts told him they thought Cleveland was "pretty good". King said because over the last several years a lot of players who are now on the Browns' team were high on the Steelers' draft board. So if Cleveland gets the QB right, they will be hard to beat. He also said we won't know about the QB until the middle of 2019. But Cleveland has been adding a lot of really good players. He thinks Cleveland could be 3-3 in the division this year and predicts 5-11 overall.

    Cabot asked King if he would have taken Baker Mayfield at #1. He said, "100%." He throws the most accurate ball downfield of all the QBs in the draft. Plus, he likes Mayfield's fire. He has zero problem with what he did at Kansas because the Kansas players wouldn't shake hands at the coin toss. He likes the competitive fire he sees in Mayfield.

    King also thinks Baltimore is the team to beat in the AFC North. Pittsburgh has major problems on defense and they have major concerns over Leveon Bell. He doesn't think the Bengals are much of a threat in the division. And he says Flacco is better than he has ever seen him. He thinks having Lamar Jackson in camp has lit a fire under Flacco so that he is better prepared than he has been in recent years.

    A couple of my own comments: Cleveland has a solid O-line but the retirement of Joe Thomas at LT is creating a problem. They tried to draft a guy to fill that role (kinda). But after the early preseason and the beginning of training camp they have decided to move their Pro Bowl Left Guard, Joel Bitonio, to LT, put a rookie at LG, and now RG Kevin Zeitler is injured (calf). If the Browns can figure out their LT and Zeitler comes back 100% healthy from his injury, the offense should be much improved this year. Great backfield with Carlos Hyde, the rookie Chubb, and Duke Johnson. WR core is missing Josh Gordon but still should be much improved. Defense has been improving over last couple of years and now added terrific CB from OSU, Ward.

    Here's a link to the Peter King interview. Give it a couple of minutes until they introduce King for the interview.
    Peter King joins us with a Browns' prediction, what the Steelers think of them and more: Orange and Brown Talk Podcast | cleveland.com
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Good info. Doesnt seem much like an AFC North preview like the title suggest though lol.

  3. #3
    oldgrappler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,392

    Do you mean there's more to the AFC North than Cleveland? You gotta go with what you know.

    Seriously, I'm counting on other posters to weigh in with a bit of info from other teams. My main intent is to see where people think things will shake out in the AFC North. I thought King's comments regarding Pittsburgh and Baltimore were interesting. His thought that Cleveland could go 3-3 in the division is a bit optimistic in my mind, and he is probably closer on his prediction of their overall record. I'd like to hear what others think about the teams in the AFC North heading into this season.

    It seems like there is no clearly dominant team and the AFC North title is more up for grabs now than it has been in a long time. The next couple of years could be the weakest years for Pittsburgh and Baltimore so this seems to be the opportune time for an improved Cleveland team. Dorsey has the Browns headed in the right direction and the 2019 and 2020 seasons could mark a significant change in Cleveland's fortunes.

    Does anyone care to comment?

  4. #4
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Am I crazy to think that the AFC North will feature 3 teams over .500 and the Browns be 7-9?

  5. #5
    CollegefootballGuy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 18
    Posts
    1,879

    I think the Browns go 8-8.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    25,563

    They should be ecstatic if they can get five wins.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Am I crazy to think that the AFC North will feature 3 teams over .500 and the Browns be 7-9?
    Quote Originally Posted by 75center View Post
    They should be ecstatic if they can get five wins.
    The browns quietly have put together a decent team for this upcoming season. I'm a big Baker Mayfield guy. Which I think they could be even better if they played him rather than Tyrod.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    21,546

    Quote Originally Posted by oldgrappler View Post
    Do you mean there's more to the AFC North than Cleveland? You gotta go with what you know.

    Seriously, I'm counting on other posters to weigh in with a bit of info from other teams. My main intent is to see where people think things will shake out in the AFC North. I thought King's comments regarding Pittsburgh and Baltimore were interesting. His thought that Cleveland could go 3-3 in the division is a bit optimistic in my mind, and he is probably closer on his prediction of their overall record. I'd like to hear what others think about the teams in the AFC North heading into this season.

    It seems like there is no clearly dominant team and the AFC North title is more up for grabs now than it has been in a long time. The next couple of years could be the weakest years for Pittsburgh and Baltimore so this seems to be the opportune time for an improved Cleveland team. Dorsey has the Browns headed in the right direction and the 2019 and 2020 seasons could mark a significant change in Cleveland's fortunes.

    Does anyone care to comment?
    The Bengals were absolutely pathetic last year. Worst line in football. Average qb at best no run game, all this equaled to worst offense in the league. Defense was on the field all game and by all accounts didn't do bad, but they didn't get quick 3 and outs to help themselves out. Yet with all that said they still managed to win 7 games.

    So I'm not sure why people are big on the Ravens. If they couldn't beat a bad Bengals team last year to make the playoffs. I dont see it this year. The browns I expect to be much better and to win maybe 2 games in the division. Hopefully none against the Bengals.

    The Steelers are the top dog until someone in the division knocks them off. Their offense is still one of the best in the nfl, and will win games.

    I love that the Bengals aren't being looked at to do much. As mentioned they won 7 games last year and they were horrible. I fully expect the line to be better, cant be much worst. The new run scheme I believe fits them better, and I believe Mixon will have a big year. Wr wise should be more dynamic in what they can do. Eifert if he stays healthy is just a plus. Defensively Lawson should be even better in year 2. The Dc is suppose to be more aggressive. And William Jackson who I believe will be a shut down corner will be full time starting now.

    So if last years horrible team can win 7 games. I do think this years team with the changes can be at least 3 games better.

  9. #9
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,367

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    The browns quietly have put together a decent team for this upcoming season. I'm a big Baker Mayfield guy. Which I think they could be even better if they played him rather than Tyrod.
    I think they’re going to score points no matter who the QB is. I’m high on Mayfield too but for one year I’m not sure he gives you more than Tyrod. I love their receiving core especially when Josh Gordon comes back from whatever it is holding him out of camp. Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are a pretty good backfield. Still unsure about the O line, but skill position wise the Browns have made some really good moves. The defense should be better as well just because the young guys are another year more experienced. Going to Cleveland this year is not going to be easy.

  10. #10
    Mediocre Nachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    1,280

    I really enjoyed the premier of Hard Knocks last night. It's got me fired up for Browns football!

Top