Warriors 124 Cavaliers 114 (OT) - NBA Finals Game 1

Page 2 of Final. Wow!... 52 comments | 1817 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    LeBron was tremendous. But to pretend LeBron's teammates were all bad is unfair. Both LeBron can play well and others can have good (enough) games and the Cavs can still lose. Unheard of, I know, since LeBron has been drafted he has been saddled alongside G-Leaguers and custodial staff, but it does happen.

    I still marvel each time I see LeBron and how large he is. Durant is weak and wanted no part of him. Kudos to Steph for at least trying to get in front of him on all the fourth quarter switches.

    Warriors are tough to root for. Not a more obnoxious front running team in sport's history.
    Lebron is surrounded by a bunch of dudes nobody else wanted or are extremely disposable outside of Kevin Love.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTroy View Post
    I'm continuously baffled by this narrative that this roster is terrible.

    Love - career 18 and 11
    Hood - was averaging 17 ppg in Utah
    Clarkson - 14 ppg career
    Hill - starting PG in the league, averaged 17 ppg, 4 apg in 16-17
    Smith - 12.6 ppg career, 8.3 ppg this season
    Korver - 9.9 ppg career, 9.2 this season, 45% from 3
    Thompson - solid role guy, 9 ppg, 8 rpg
    Nance - solid role guy, 9 ppg 7 rpg

    That's LeBron, plus four that are double digit scorers currently, Smith and Korver are career double digit scorers (one streak shooter, one great shooter, this season at 9.2 and 8.3), and two role players that give you 18 points and 15 boards. Are they bad defensively? Yes. Do they have trouble playing with LeBron? I don't know. It's not a terrible roster.
    I can’t even get past the second name. Rodney Hood can’t even get off the bench. Even bad teams have dudes who put up numbers, doesn’t mean they can help a team win games. It’s a bunch of disposable pieces that Lebron and to a lesser extent Kevin Love are forced to work with. The off-season trade didn’t work out mainly because Isaiah Thomas didn’t recover fast enough and just couldn’t fit in with the Cavs offense, not really his fault. So they traded for some stronger defenders and have gotten very little return.

  3. #18
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,349

    As soon as it went to OT I told my wife that the series was over.

    Cavs had a chance to steal one and couldn't get it done, now they'll be lucky to get a win at home. It's just a matter of 3 or 4 more games before it's over.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    9,795

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTroy View Post
    The biggest play was J.R. Smith dribbling the ball out after getting the offensive rebound on the free throw with four seconds left, not having clue what the situation was, and the Cavs not even getting a shot. The replay was a terrible call that got corrected. If by rule they are allowed to change it, then they got it right.
    J.R. just dribbled away any chance Cleveland had to win the series IMO.

  5. #20
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,580

    They ended up getting the charge/block call right, but reviewing judgment calls like that is not something I think the NBA wants to happen in the future.

    Just get rid of charges period.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,783

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    James doesn’t want to play 48 minutes and score 51 points for them to have a chance. He wants to play 38 minutes and have 28 points and 15 assists. He HAS to dominate the ball because no one else is capable of making plays outside of Kevin Love.
    You act like this is the first year of him needing to dominate the ball. It's basically the same every where he has been. The only time he didn't dominate the ball was in his first year with the Heat and in the finals. Wade was tearing it up and dominating the ball that series. And well we seen how poor James looked that series, since he was not dominating the ball.

    It's simple for James to be James. He needs to dominate the ball. He needs the floor spaced and not someone clogging the lane. Having all that allows him to dominate at levels we never seen before. However at the same time it's not the best for other players to ever get in a consistent rhythm. Plus makes other players become reliant because his system is like that. Which is why every single dang year it's he needs more help. He is simply amazing. However his system is not the best for others to contribute at a consistent rate. Plus it's centered on him. So his teams never know how to play once he is out of the game. Because he is so good that the system revolves around him running everything. So no team would look good with him out. That's why his rosters are probably usually better than what they seem.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    20,783

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    They ended up getting the charge/block call right, but reviewing judgment calls like that is not something I think the NBA wants to happen in the future.

    Just get rid of charges period.
    Agreed. I wanted the Warriors to win, and they did get the call right. However I hate that they were even allowed to change it. I would rather them have just kept the call.

  8. #23
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    45,349

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    You act like this is the first year of him needing to dominate the ball. It's basically the same every where he has been. The only time he didn't dominate the ball was in his first year with the Heat and in the finals. Wade was tearing it up and dominating the ball that series. And well we seen how poor James looked that series, since he was not dominating the ball.

    It's simple for James to be James. He needs to dominate the ball. He needs the floor spaced and not someone clogging the lane. Having all that allows him to dominate at levels we never seen before. However at the same time it's not the best for other players to ever get in a consistent rhythm. Plus makes other players become reliant because his system is like that. Which is why every single dang year it's he needs more help. He is simply amazing. However his system is not the best for others to contribute at a consistent rate. Plus it's centered on him. So his teams never know how to play once he is out of the game. Because he is so good that the system revolves around him running everything. So no team would look good with him out. That's why his rosters are probably usually better than what they seem.
    He went about 6 minutes to start the 2nd half without taking a shot, he tried to facilitate to his teammates and get them going to start the half...it was a disaster, they hit one 3 pointer while the Warriors pulled out to a lead rather easily.

  9. #24
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    You act like this is the first year of him needing to dominate the ball. It's basically the same every where he has been. The only time he didn't dominate the ball was in his first year with the Heat and in the finals. Wade was tearing it up and dominating the ball that series. And well we seen how poor James looked that series, since he was not dominating the ball.

    It's simple for James to be James. He needs to dominate the ball. He needs the floor spaced and not someone clogging the lane. Having all that allows him to dominate at levels we never seen before. However at the same time it's not the best for other players to ever get in a consistent rhythm. Plus makes other players become reliant because his system is like that. Which is why every single dang year it's he needs more help. He is simply amazing. However his system is not the best for others to contribute at a consistent rate. Plus it's centered on him. So his teams never know how to play once he is out of the game. Because he is so good that the system revolves around him running everything. So no team would look good with him out. That's why his rosters are probably usually better than what they seem.
    For James to win with this team he has to dominate the ball no denying that. This team couldn’t beat a G League team without him and K Love.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    559

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    I can’t even get past the second name. Rodney Hood can’t even get off the bench. Even bad teams have dudes who put up numbers, doesn’t mean they can help a team win games. It’s a bunch of disposable pieces that Lebron and to a lesser extent Kevin Love are forced to work with. The off-season trade didn’t work out mainly because Isaiah Thomas didn’t recover fast enough and just couldn’t fit in with the Cavs offense, not really his fault. So they traded for some stronger defenders and have gotten very little return.
    Everyone seemed pretty happy when the trade was made and for several weeks they were an offensive juggernaut. I agree, it has not been great for all of them but "on paper" this is not a bad team. I can't explain why. If you can average 14-17 points in this league, you can play. It's not like a mid-major and high-major in college--you play the same league and the same schedule.

  11. #26
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTroy View Post
    Everyone seemed pretty happy when the trade was made and for several weeks they were an offensive juggernaut. I agree, it has not been great for all of them but "on paper" this is not a bad team. I can't explain why. If you can average 14-17 points in this league, you can play. It's not like a mid-major and high-major in college--you play the same league and the same schedule.
    It’s not about being able to play. It’s the NBA everyone can play. Bad teams have multiple players on them that can go get you 15 points/ night. They need difference makers. The Cavs have 2 on their entire team.

  12. #27
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,390

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    It’s not about being able to play. It’s the NBA everyone can play. Bad teams have multiple players on them that can go get you 15 points/ night. They need difference makers. The Cavs have 2 on their entire team.
    Isnt that Lebrons fault though, he is the one that picks the players that are on the team.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    559

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    It’s not about being able to play. It’s the NBA everyone can play. Bad teams have multiple players on them that can go get you 15 points/ night. They need difference makers. The Cavs have 2 on their entire team.
    I forgot Jeff Green (10 ppg) in my original list. So, that's 10 players who have contributed significantly in the league on the roster. I doubt any roster in the league has that.

    Difference makers? I get what you mean but, who's a difference maker? How many did the Celtics have?

  14. #29
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Isnt that Lebrons fault though, he is the one that picks the players that are on the team.
    Lebron only has so much control. You honestly think, these are the guys he wants to play with?

  15. #30
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    10,044

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTroy View Post
    I forgot Jeff Green (10 ppg) in my original list. So, that's 10 players who have contributed significantly in the league on the roster. I doubt any roster in the league has that.

    Difference makers? I get what you mean but, who's a difference maker? How many did the Celtics have?
    The Celtics have a ton of difference makers. Excluding their two best players who were hurt, they have Tatum, Rozier, Brown, Horford (who may be the most underappreciated player in the league for the past decade), hell even Marcus Smart is a difference maker. The Celtics are straight loaded and should win the East next year unless Lebron lands in Philly. They could have given Golden State a series with everyone healthy.

Top