Warriors 106 Raptors 105 (NBA Finals Game 5)

Page 2 of Wow.... 22 comments | 1334 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,167

    Quote Originally Posted by 1963 BIRDS View Post
    Toronto had all the momentum and had the Warriors on their heels ready to poop their pants. Leonard was on fire, so the coach of the Raptors calls a time out. Brilliant!!!!!

    On a side note, serious question, has Leonard ever got a NBA championship ring? Who with?
    Yes. 2014 with the Spurs. He was MVP of the Finals.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    68

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Yes. 2014 with the Spurs. He was MVP of the Finals.
    Thanks!!

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,980

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The Raptors made the mistake so many teams make - they focused on trying to run out the clock and stopped playing aggressive. Every possession after they got the 6 point lead, they ran clock instead of running aggressive attacking offense. You can't back into the title. You have to forcibly take it. You have to run hard offense and take the good shot when you get it, even if there is still 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Finally, on that last play attack the paint! Toronto was down one point. It better be a wide open 3 if that is the shot you take in that situation. Go at the rim. A shot in the paint is a must, not a contested 3.
    I agree that a shoot in the paint was probably the way to go, being down by 1. But, as I recall that last sequence and admittedly have not seen it since I saw it live, Leonard was effectively double-teamed and the last shot was a 3 taken from the left corner. But, I ask you, was it really contested? I recall it being a petty good look ...may be wrong. Maybe not the player the Raptors wanted shooting the ball, but still a pretty good look.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    19,065

    Quote Originally Posted by 1963 BIRDS View Post
    Toronto had all the momentum and had the Warriors on their heels ready to poop their pants. Leonard was on fire, so the coach of the Raptors calls a time out. Brilliant!!!!!

    On a side note, serious question, has Leonard ever got a NBA championship ring? Who with?
    A lot of people don’t realize but Coach Nurse actually called two timeouts back to back. If they end up losing the series that will be talked about for a long time.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,399

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    I agree that a shoot in the paint was probably the way to go, being down by 1. But, as I recall that last sequence and admittedly have not seen it since I saw it live, Leonard was effectively double-teamed and the last shot was a 3 taken from the left corner. But, I ask you, was it really contested? I recall it being a petty good look ...may be wrong. Maybe not the player the Raptors wanted shooting the ball, but still a pretty good look.
    Shot challenged by Draymond Green after Warriors did good job of forcing ball out of Kawhi’s hands.

  6. #21
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,167

    To those not as familiar with the NBA timeout rules, Toronto was at four timeouts at the 3:05 mark when they stopped the action to call for a break. Once below the 3:00 mark, teams can only carry two timeouts, so you often see teams in that scenario call a timeout so they don’t lose it. Hence, why they took them both back-to-back.

    Not saying the decision was correct, but that was the thought process. Use them or forfeit them both.

  7. #22
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,503

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    To those not as familiar with the NBA timeout rules, Toronto was at four timeouts at the 3:05 mark when they stopped the action to call for a break. Once below the 3:00 mark, teams can only carry two timeouts, so you often see teams in that scenario call a timeout so they don’t lose it. Hence, why they took them both back-to-back.

    Not saying the decision was correct, but that was the thought process. Use them or forfeit them both.
    You just gotta eat that timeout in that scenario, IMO. You can’t stop a run like that just to save a timeout.

  8. #23
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,167

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    You just gotta eat that timeout in that scenario, IMO. You can’t stop a run like that just to save a timeout.
    Two timeouts in this case. But yes, I agree. That seemed to be the possession to throw the proverbial dagger.

    Some were saying it was Kyle Lowery who actually requested the timeout because he was so gassed. Also knowing these players are well in tune to the timeout scenarios and conditioned to call them whether they check in with the coach or not.

    This stoppage was not required, but many fans never understand why teams on runs during the middle of games will suddenly call a timeout. 95% of the time it is because they are required per NBA rules.

Top