NBA Referee Tim Donaghy Conspired to Fix NBA Games

  1. #1
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,535

    NBA Referee Tim Donaghy Conspired to Fix NBA Games

    10 years after NBA referee Tim Donaghy was accused of betting on basketball games that he officiated (and subsequently was sent to prison), ESPN has released the results of an investigation that has revealed that Donaghy also "fixed" those NBA games which allowed numerous bettors to, in some cases, make hundreds of millions of dollars. To quote from the article:

    In early 2017, inspired by the 10th anniversary of the scandal, ESPN set out to reinvestigate it. The research entailed interviews with more than 100 people, including current and former NBA referees, current and former NBA staff, gamblers, bookmakers, lawyers, law enforcement officials and friends and relatives of Donaghy. (Donaghy himself declined repeated requests for an interview.) Freedom of Information Act requests were filed. Thousands of pages of court documents and investigative records were scrutinized. Hundreds of hours were spent watching every NBA game Donaghy officiated in the 2006-07 season. Every foul call was logged, the resulting data analyzed, along with betting-market line-movement histories for every game Donaghy reffed that season.

    Two years of reporting later, the story can now be told: This is the definitive account of how Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games -- and how, in so doing, he unwittingly enriched an array of gamblers to the tune of likely hundreds of millions of dollars.


    The article itself:

    How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,535

    Wow

  3. #3
    Getslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 01
    Location
    In Lothlorien, where the trees bore flowers of gold and no evil thing ever dared come.
    Posts
    22,992

    I can't wait to read this. Just scrolling through the first few paragraphs the amount of research and reporting they did here is extraordinary.

  4. #4
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,574

    It's only a matter of time before it happens again.

  5. #5
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,535

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    It's only a matter of time before it happens again.
    I'm wondering...how much has it happened already...in all sports? What championships are now tainted (that we may never know)? What about the sheer greed in our society? How many "hundreds of millions of dollars" is too much when made unethically like this? Now, when those of us on BGP complain about a ref's call, do we need to wonder if the game was "fixed"?

  6. #6
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,637

    I wouldn't wanna be in any of their shoes.

  7. #7
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,726

    I think it is MUCH more likely games are fixed for gambling reasons than for getting the team a network wants in the playoffs or for ratings.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,774

    If you gamble you're stupid not to appreciate the possibility (I hope not "probability" ) of the games, horse races, whatever, being fixed......comes with the territory.

  9. #9
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,535

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    If you gamble you're stupid not to appreciate the possibility (I hope not "probability" ) of the games, horse races, whatever, being fixed......comes with the territory.
    This is a really good point for me personally. Until this, I was kind of hoping for the relaxing of online gambling laws because I had enjoyed making an online wager now and then years ago before the current laws came into being. Now, I'm not so sure. I always wondered how the odds makers were consistently right on the point spreads so many times when I wagered. I thought I was just unlucky. Now, I'm not so sure (to repeat myself).

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 12
    Posts
    5,803

    What a great read! If the guys involved would not have been so greedy, he may have gotten away with it.

  11. #11
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,655

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    I'm wondering...how much has it happened already...in all sports? What championships are now tainted (that we may never know)? What about the sheer greed in our society? How many "hundreds of millions of dollars" is too much when made unethically like this? Now, when those of us on BGP complain about a ref's call, do we need to wonder if the game was "fixed"?
    I think certain sports lend themselves to being more susceptible to a "fix" by an official/ref/umpire. Basketball seems to be an easier one. Only 3 officials, and you end up coving all parts of the court as the game goes on. But baseball, for instance...unless you're the home plate umpire, you're not going to be guaranteed to do anything to influence the game (especially now with replay). But, that being said, if you are calling balls/strikes, you absolutely can put the squeeze onto one team and loosen things up for others. (How long you'd be able to get away with it as the year progresses is another story.)

  12. #12
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    16,397

    Nauseating.

  13. #13
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,574

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I think it is MUCH more likely games are fixed for gambling reasons than for getting the team a network wants in the playoffs or for ratings.
    Probably, because of the sheer number of people that bet on games. But it is 100% believable that games would be fixed to get certain players/teams where they want them in the playoffs.

  14. #14
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    48,726

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Probably, because of the sheer number of people that bet on games. But it is 100% believable that games would be fixed to get certain players/teams where they want them in the playoffs.
    I just think that's less likely because it would involve more people than just one rogue ref. Someone would have talked by now, at least that's my thoughts.

  15. #15
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    53,574

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    I just think that's less likely because it would involve more people than just one rogue ref. Someone would have talked by now, at least that's my thoughts.
    We all probably thought the same thing, for the most part, before the Donaghy stuff too.

Top