Magic Johnson steps down, stuns Lakers with resignation

  1. #1
    All State Baseball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 12
    Location
    The Bat Cave
    Posts
    21,825

    Magic Johnson steps down, stuns Lakers with resignation

    Just got an CBS Sports Alert that Magic Johnson has stepped down and stunned the Lakers with his resignation.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,487

    Magic wants to keep printing money with his business ventures. Being a beloved HOF'er doesn't make one the right fit for the NBA business.

  3. #3
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,899

    Even Magic doesn’t want to play with LeBron.

  4. #4
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    49,023

    Best way out for Magic, there is no way they ever wanted to publicly fire him.

  5. #5
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,971

    This might be the most bizarre story going. So Magic has a three hour meeting with ownership the day before, and not one time did he bring up he was planning to abruptly quit. He doesn't have the courage to tell Buss in person he is quitting, so he does it via an odd impromptu presser. He wants to tweet more. Hates he can't go and help Ben Simmons improve upon his game. Is this real life?

  6. #6
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    35,487

    Magic should have delayed the announcement instead of casting a shadow on Dirk and Wade ceremonies. A selfish cat.

  7. #7
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    21,899

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    This might be the most bizarre story going. So Magic has a three hour meeting with ownership the day before, and not one time did he bring up he was planning to abruptly quit. He doesn't have the courage to tell Buss in person he is quitting, so he does it via an odd impromptu presser. He wants to tweet more. Hates he can't go and help Ben Simmons improve upon his game. Is this real life?
    Real bizarre.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,508

    Might as well make Lebron the official President of the Lakers. With Magic gone, Lebron probably will have now complete say in exactly how the roster will look. So might as well give him the President title.

  9. #9
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    41,971

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    Magic should have delayed the announcement instead of casting a shadow on Dirk and Wade ceremonies. A selfish cat.
    That's just Magic for you.

  10. #10
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    “It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,053

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Might as well make Lebron the official President of the Lakers. With Magic gone, Lebron probably will have now complete say in exactly how the roster will look. So might as well give him the President title.
    He already was. Magic being gone is irrelevant to that.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Location
    bellevue
    Posts
    110

    Earvin was a horrible hire for many reasons, including: getting rid of D LO, Randle, and drafting Ball. Plus screwing up the AD talks. A good lotto pick plus prime free agents plus development of young Lakers will have Lebron in the mix next year.

  12. #12
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,392

    Stephen A. says the issue was an internal front office battle with GM Rob Pelinka. Magic wanted to fire both Luke and Pelinka. Pelinka is supported by Kobe and Jeannie Buss didn't want to get rid of Pelinka. Magic saw it wasn't going to work and opted out.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,895

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
    Even Magic doesn’t want to play with LeBron.
    Not enough smoggy air for both of them to breathe.

  14. #14
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,854

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    He already was. Magic being gone is irrelevant to that.
    Seems like Kobe is more in control than LeBron and Magic..........

  15. #15
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #justdoit
    Posts
    88,854

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Stephen A. says the issue was an internal front office battle with GM Rob Pelinka. Magic wanted to fire both Luke and Pelinka. Pelinka is supported by Kobe and Jeannie Buss didn't want to get rid of Pelinka. Magic saw it wasn't going to work and opted out.
    Some folks starting to suggest that Kobe pulls more strings behind the scenes than we thought.

Top