Has Kevin Durant quit on his Team?

Page 2 of There has been such an "all about me" mentality develop in professional/college sports over the last few years, I have to wonder about this w... 35 comments | 2646 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,713

    Supposed to play tonight. How much will he be able to affect the game?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,253

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Supposed to play tonight. How much will he be able to affect the game?
    Maybe a morale boost, but not thinking a huge impact numbers wise for him. Of course KD can roll out of bed and get you 25, so who knows?

  3. #18
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,713

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    Maybe a morale boost, but not thinking a huge impact numbers wise for him. Of course KD can roll out of bed and get you 25, so who knows?
    I'm interested to see the defensive strategy the Raptors roll out. You can't double anybody anymore with KD on the floor.

  4. #19
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,860

    Reportedly will be in the starting lineup with no minutes restriction. I'm surprised, but happy. I always want to see teams playing at full strength.

  5. #20
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,713

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Reportedly will be in the starting lineup with no minutes restriction. I'm surprised, but happy. I always want to see teams playing at full strength.
    There's no way he'll be close to 100%. The question is how good does he need to be for the Warriors to win? They need him on defense probably more than offense.

  6. #21
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    32,860

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    There's no way he'll be close to 100%. The question is how good does he need to be for the Warriors to win? They need him on defense probably more than offense.
    Agreed. He has to be "rusty" if nothing else from the lack of game action. I look for his biggest impact to be in creating space and opportunities for everyone else. Defense would be my biggest area of concern for risk of re-injury.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,497

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    I just don't understand why athletes are held to a different standard than the rest of us. It's ok for everyone else to protect their own interest, but athletes are expected to go above and beyond for the sake of everyone else, regardless of the impact it may have on their future earnings potential. An athlete's health directly affects their earnings potential. I'm ok with someone doing what they can to protect that. If they don't protect that, they've got no fans or teammates to sacrifice for.
    I understand your point; however, if we just lay it out there to the extreme and say "it is just about me" than a Team never develops, no one ever has your back, and the game is destroyed for everyone. You just don't desert your buddies in the foxhole under fire even if that assures your own survival/prosperity.

    Am very glad to see KD is going to give it a go tonight.

  8. #23
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,399

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    Supposed to play tonight. How much will he be able to affect the game?
    Not enough!

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    11,080

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    I understand your point; however, if we just lay it out there to the extreme and say "it is just about me" than a Team never develops, no one ever has your back, and the game is destroyed for everyone. You just don't desert your buddies in the foxhole under fire even if that assures your own survival/prosperity.

    Am very glad to see KD is going to give it a go tonight.
    Agree. "Just about me" doesn't fly in team sports. If that is your mantra, then there are numerous individual sports you can play such that it can be literally just about you. How could a coach or a GM ever put a team together if each player was just about himself? It would be the ruination of team sports and a real dud for the networks attempting to market the games to fans. Who would want to watch that tripe?

  10. #25
    Bobby Axelrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    247

    KD just went down again. Didn’t look good and looked like his Achilles area. Really hope it’s nothing too serious.

  11. #26
    bugatti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Location
    You can keep going and your legs might hurt for a week or you can quit and your mind will hurt for a lifetime. - Mark Allen
    Posts
    42,253

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Axelrod View Post
    KD just went down again. Didn’t look good and looked like his Achilles area. Really hope it’s nothing too serious.
    I think it’s been Achilles area from the start. Each time you see him icing, it’s not on his calf.

  12. #27
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,713

    Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    I think it’s been Achilles area from the start. Each time you see him icing, it’s not on his calf.
    Yep. That confirmed its never been a calf.

  13. #28
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    的t's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am." - Muhammad Ali
    Posts
    54,713

    There’s a video on twitter and you can definitely see something go in his leg.

  14. #29
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The realest people don稚 have a lot of friends.
    Posts
    23,660

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
    There’s a video on twitter and you can definitely see something go in his leg.
    That’s the muscle that causes the Achilles to go. Hope not for KD. How bout the Raptor fans celebrating? That’s what will be remembered of this series.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    22,824

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    I understand your point; however, if we just lay it out there to the extreme and say "it is just about me" than a Team never develops, no one ever has your back, and the game is destroyed for everyone. You just don't desert your buddies in the foxhole under fire even if that assures your own survival/prosperity.

    Am very glad to see KD is going to give it a go tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    Agree. "Just about me" doesn't fly in team sports. If that is your mantra, then there are numerous individual sports you can play such that it can be literally just about you. How could a coach or a GM ever put a team together if each player was just about himself? It would be the ruination of team sports and a real dud for the networks attempting to market the games to fans. Who would want to watch that tripe?
    I have played team sports my whole life and now have coached for the last 12 years. I'm all about the concept of team, and building that team concept. However, if one day my son was a star D1 athlete say in football for example and was expected to be a 1st round pick. Unless he was playing in the playoffs for a National Title. Then there is no reason to play for example in a bowl game that literally means nothing. It's one thing if you and your team are building for a championship. If that Championship goal was no longer a possibility, then no reason to play in a meaningless game. That wouldn't be being selfish, that would be being smart. That would mean my son worked his butt off for his whole life to get to that point to reach his dreams, and financially change his life forever. So no reason to risk all that for a meaningless game at that point if not playing for a Championship. Now if you are playing for a title, then yeah don't bail on your teammates. But most of those cases you mentioned of players not playing and protecting themselves, was not cases where they were playing for a title. Just like Durant also shown tonight he was willing to give it a go for his teammates.

    Most of the people who complain about players protecting themselves. Are people who were never good enough to even have to worry about making that choice. So they wouldn't truly know what it is like to make that choice. It is easy to think yeah I wouldn't leave my teammates hanging like that, because most of us were never good enough to have to worry about losing out on anything if injured.

Top