2017 NKY Youth Football

  1. #1
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    2017 NKY Youth Football

    Football first practice starts in July. Some new rules for the Midget level no kick offs or punts from what I heard.
    Advertisement

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Football first practice starts in July. Some new rules for the Midget level no kick offs or punts from what I heard.
    No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.

  3. #3
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    131,574

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.
    Agree

    The game at that age should stress fundamentals and participation.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,136

    Quote Originally Posted by theguru View Post
    Agree

    The game at that age should stress fundamentals and participation.
    Yep. I've coached at that level, and removing punts and kickoff's from the games, gives you more practice time on fundamentals...blocking, tackling etc. When you've only got 3 days of practice, any time you spend on something you'll still be terrible at despite practicing, is a waste of time.

  5. #5
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.
    I disagree last year my sons team won most of there games from kickoffs. They recovered probably 15 onside kicks. They also had an excellent punt team.

  6. #6
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    USA Football is the one wanting to do way with kickoffs and punts.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    I disagree last year my sons team won most of there games from kickoffs. They recovered probably 15 onside kicks. They also had an excellent punt team.
    Almost every kick at that level is an onside kick as they rarely get that far downfield. While recovering one or two onside kicks a game is nice, it's not doing anything to develop kicking skills, or kickoff coverage skills. As far as punts, i'm not sure what you call excellent, but I've never seen a solid punt team at the level that can regularly net more than 20 yards or so, and effectively change field position.

    Teams at that level win games because they block and tackle well, and can execute a handful of plays, not because they are great at special teams.

  8. #8
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Almost every kick at that level is an onside kick as they rarely get that far downfield. While recovering one or two onside kicks a game is nice, it's not doing anything to develop kicking skills, or kickoff coverage skills. As far as punts, i'm not sure what you call excellent, but I've never seen a solid punt team at the level that can regularly net more than 20 yards or so, and effectively change field position.

    Teams at that level win games because they block and tackle well, and can execute a handful of plays, not because they are great at special teams.
    Well the past 2 years my sons team has been excellent at everything they do. Only lost one game in 2 years and back to back superbowls. Plus they had excellent coaching.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    Well the past 2 years my sons team has been excellent at everything they do. Only lost one game in 2 years and back to back superbowls. Plus they had excellent coaching.
    My comments have nothing to do with how good your sons team is or isn't. And even if your son's team is the best kickoff/punt team in the world, it doesn't mean that kickoffs and punts are a necessary or important part of football for 8 and 9 year olds. Taking them out of the game is just fine and allows teams to work on the fundamentals and blocking and tackling skill that are way more important than 15 yard punts and 10-20 yard kickoffs.

  10. #10
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    My comments have nothing to do with how good your sons team is or isn't. And even if your son's team is the best kickoff/punt team in the world, it doesn't mean that kickoffs and punts are a necessary or important part of football for 8 and 9 year olds. Taking them out of the game is just fine and allows teams to work on the fundamentals and blocking and tackling skill that are way more important than 15 yard punts and 10-20 yard kickoffs.
    I think the main reason they took away kick offs and punts is player safety.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,136

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    I think the main reason they took away kick offs and punts is player safety.
    Obviously. Many major injuries I've seen at the youth level have occurred on special teams. My point was taking kicks out of the game won't hurt it all, while making it safer.

  12. #12
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.
    My bad these rules haven't been changed yet.

  13. #13
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    I heard several stories about the Boone County Peewee League losings some teams. I think the Eagles left already. I heard the Hawkeyes might leave also.

  14. #14
    Footballforever74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 16
    Posts
    7,885

    I personally think Boone County Peewee teams should join NKYFL and be one huge league.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 16
    Posts
    184

    Quote Originally Posted by Footballforever74 View Post
    I personally think Boone County Peewee teams should join NKYFL and be one huge league.
    The no weight-limit in Boone would probably be a problem.

    I thought that, with the emergence of high schools having grade school teams, the NKYFL was doing away with the senior divisions, but it looks like they still have them (Spartans, at least).

    Anybody know what the numbers are like on the senior division team?

Top