Walk Off On An Infield Fly Rule Play

Page 3 of Originally Posted by BlueTip Plate ump made an immediate call on infield fly and just jumped the gun. It was a jam shot over the third baseman, not rea... 35 comments | 1121 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Really tough on the swipe tag at 2nd on a steal. You can only get out so far from behind the plate before the ball is there. I had a game at St Henry where I called the runner out. First base coach respectfully disagreed. He had a MUCH better angle than me but he got it. Tough angle.
    The tag play at second with a one man crew can be an irritating play. My thing sometimes is umpires don't look at the totality of the situation such as where the fielder is and where the runner is. If the fielder is 4 feet in front of the bag and the runner is right at the bag, it's darn near impossible for the fielder to reach the runner with the tag but yet the umpire calls the runner out. I'm not talking about the fielder diving back towards the bag to make the play, just him sticking the arm out for the tag.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    The tag play at second with a one man crew can be an irritating play. My thing sometimes is umpires don't look at the totality of the situation such as where the fielder is and where the runner is. If the fielder is 4 feet in front of the bag and the runner is right at the bag, it's darn near impossible for the fielder to reach the runner with the tag but yet the umpire calls the runner out. I'm not talking about the fielder diving back towards the bag to make the play, just him sticking the arm out for the tag.
    The other challenging scenario is SS catches the ball on the 1st base side of 2nd and tags the runner high. Is he far enough off the base(towards 1st) that the high tag still was before his feet hit the bag?

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The other challenging scenario is SS catches the ball on the 1st base side of 2nd and tags the runner high. Is he far enough off the base(towards 1st) that the high tag still was before his feet hit the bag?
    That is another one. A 6'3" runner being tagged in the chest two feet in front of the bag makes it hard for him to be out.

    Once again the totality of the situation.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,223

    I had an infield fly this weekend where the ball was dropped.

    If I only had film and audio of the circus that ensued. Parents yelling at their kids to run. Coaches yelling to run (or get back). Coaches yelling "step on first."

    Crazy.

  5. #35
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,308

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I had an infield fly this weekend where the ball was dropped.

    If I only had film and audio of the circus that ensued. Parents yelling at their kids to run. Coaches yelling to run (or get back). Coaches yelling "step on first."

    Crazy.

    Step on first? That might be the funniest one yet. What level of baseball was this?

  6. #36
    BlueTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 11
    Posts
    1,166

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I had an infield fly this weekend where the ball was dropped.

    If I only had film and audio of the circus that ensued. Parents yelling at their kids to run. Coaches yelling to run (or get back). Coaches yelling "step on first."

    Crazy.
    Hilarious. Brings back memories.

    Have you had one yet where the ball is popped up along the foul line between home/1st or home/3rd and then the ball hits the ground fair and spins foul without a defender touching it?

    I've seen more than one argument on that.

Top