Violation of Unwritten Rules?

Page 2 of Mariners Jarrod Dyson broke up Verlander's perfect game in the 7th with a drag bunt. Score was 4-0 at the time. Many were unhappy with his gross violat... 40 comments | 1122 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,593

    Here's a different scenario...what if a batter has a decent hitting streak going (for argument's sake, let's say 25+ games). He's gone 0-4 and is batting for likely the last time in the top of the 9th in a 7-0 game. Is it okay for him to try to drop a bunt down to extend the streak?
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,719

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Here's a different scenario...what if a batter has a decent hitting streak going (for argument's sake, let's say 25+ games). He's gone 0-4 and is batting for likely the last time in the top of the 9th in a 7-0 game. Is it okay for him to try to drop a bunt down to extend the streak?
    Sure. I believe Pete did that on more than one occasion to extend his streak.

  3. #18
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,719

    And no problem at all with what Dyson did.

  4. #19
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    59,481

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Here's a different scenario...what if a batter has a decent hitting streak going (for argument's sake, let's say 25+ games). He's gone 0-4 and is batting for likely the last time in the top of the 9th in a 7-0 game. Is it okay for him to try to drop a bunt down to extend the streak?
    Of course it's okay. It's a batter's job to get on base. How he accomplishes that is irrelevant.

  5. #20
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    3,154

    It's funny, I was just watching Billy Chapel's perfecto last night and Tuttle's bunt attempt elicited an audible "this friggin guy" and nearly a post in the Rants thread.

    That said, win by any means necessary. Chapel made the play. Verlander probably could have with some help from the right side of this infield.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    Sure. I believe Pete did that on more than one occasion to extend his streak.

    Off the top of my head something like this happened in about game 37 against Gene Garber.

  7. #22
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,234

    Unwritten Rules....who wrote them and why should they be "honored" ever.... Yasiel Puig hits a 3-1 pitch for a 3 run homer last night against the Mets....he watches it, for a while, then takes 32 seconds to round the bases and takes lip from the 1B and Catcher over it because the Mets are a terrible team....did he violate the unwritten rule ?

  8. #23
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    56,317


  9. #24
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,893

    Here's a look at the unwritten rules police:

    Name:  mccann_092513-593x356.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  57.8 KB

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 16
    Posts
    131

    Millionaire cry babies ... guy was doing what his team needed to win the game ... If a team lets a little 6th inning bunt hit lead to a total meltdown then they didn't deserve a no no anyway .... no problems with it in a 4 to 0 game or a 12 to 0 game ... and Puig brings that stuff on himself ...

  11. #26
    BirdBrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Posts
    5,234

    Quote Originally Posted by Bow88 View Post
    Millionaire cry babies ... guy was doing what his team needed to win the game ... If a team lets a little 6th inning bunt hit lead to a total meltdown then they didn't deserve a no no anyway .... no problems with it in a 4 to 0 game or a 12 to 0 game ... and Puig brings that stuff on himself ...
    He doesn't care....it's everyone else that is waah, waahing about it.....

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 16
    Posts
    261

    Could the Reds please trade for Jarrod Dyson so he can teach Billy Hamilton how to drag bunt?

  13. #28
    DragonFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 00
    Location
    Go home and be a family man.
    Posts
    30,800

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    Here's a look at the unwritten rules police:

    Name:  mccann_092513-593x356.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  57.8 KB
    Today, I actually went and read the whole thread on here about that particular incident. Now there was a discussion.

  14. #29
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,798

    I'd drop a drag bunt down 21-0 in the bottom of the 9th inning with 2 outs and a perfect game on the line. Don't let me be safe at first either. I'd laugh sooooo hard.

  15. #30
    PurplePride92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    If I was you I wouldn't like me either. #Views #teamstaywoke
    Posts
    84,798

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Unwritten Rules....who wrote them and why should they be "honored" ever.... Yasiel Puig hits a 3-1 pitch for a 3 run homer last night against the Mets....he watches it, for a while, then takes 32 seconds to round the bases and takes lip from the 1B and Catcher over it because the Mets are a terrible team....did he violate the unwritten rule ?
    Probably but I loved it. I wish everyone in baseball admired their work like that.

Top