Trading Johnny Cueto!

Page 9 of Originally Posted by Hellbird Ok, again how often does that work out in the favor of the team trading the all star player? Josh Hamilton was traded, he... 196 comments | 6556 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #121
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    34,253

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If you trade both of them to a divisional team, you might as well pack up and move the franchise to Montreal.
    I hear Montreal is beautiful in the summer...
    Advertisement

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    5,159

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    They can try all they want. They still won't win now and there are the majority in this thread that think trading Cueto will lead to winning more games which will lead to a World Series. I'm just here to tell you all that it will not happen. So instead of having players worth going to the ballpark to watch and play even though they are in a bad team, after the trade there will be very little to get excited about seeing.
    I guess you are totally missing the point in this thread. No one really WANTS to trade Cueto but given that there is very little chance of the Reds signing him long term they need to get something for him other than a compensatory draft pick. The only way they can do that is to trade him and try to get value for him.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by nkufan23 View Post
    I know you are obsessed with Cueto to the point that you can't think clearly but you left him off. You said Votto and Chapman were the only players that aren't scrubs.
    Look at my earlier posts in here. I even said the 3 plauers of Votto Cueto and chapman.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,925

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    I never used small market as an excuse. I don't believe in small markets with today's TV contracts.
    To enable to be successful with a small payroll you have to have the players in your system. Reds don't.
    Sorry you said small payroll. Which the Reds have the highest in the division. Payroll, market is not a valid argument here. How they spend it is.

  5. #125

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by malachicrunch View Post
    To enable to be successful with a small payroll you have to have the players in your system. Reds don't.
    Sorry you said small payroll. Which the Reds have the highest in the division. Payroll, market is not a valid argument here. How they spend it is.
    I was replying to someone who said small market, I didn't bring it up and as I said I don't believe in small market, St. Louis has been very succesful playing in a "Small Market"

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Posts
    19,925

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    I was replying to someone who said small market, I didn't bring it up and as I said I don't believe in small market, St. Louis has been very succesful playing in a "Small Market"
    Got it. My point is that we hear so much about a small market and payroll here when it's simply a misnomer. The Reds spend the money, just not wisely. I normally am on board with a lot of your views, and I agree that letting Cueto go sucks. But fiscally they are forced to do it unless there's a miracle and they can dump some of their other high priced players.

  7. #127
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,220

    I think to summarize almost everyone on here's thoughts:

    - No one "wants" to trade Cueto.

    - No one thinks this team will be better or even good by trading him.

    - Everyone would rather get a couple solid prospects in return for him via trade than letting him walk at season's end in free agency.

  8. #128
    spindoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Posts
    55,390

    Dear God

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Dear God
    You called?

  10. #130

    Join Date
    May 10
    Location
    Louisville,KY----From NKY
    Posts
    6,398

    This point was brought up last year during the Reds winning streak near the Trade Deadline. If the Reds are relevant, no chance they trade him. Would it be better or worse for the organization to make the playoffs this year?

  11. #131
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillVille Cardinal51 View Post
    This point was brought up last year during the Reds winning streak near the Trade Deadline. If the Reds are relevant, no chance they trade him. Would it be better or worse for the organization to make the playoffs this year?
    I'd say worse potentially. There was a very slim chance of them contending this year and now Homer going down eliminates any chance.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    11,256

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    They can try all they want. They still won't win now and there are the majority in this thread that think trading Cueto will lead to winning more games which will lead to a World Series. I'm just here to tell you all that it will not happen. So instead of having players worth going to the ballpark to watch and play even though they are in a bad team, after the trade there will be very little to get excited about seeing.
    You left out the key part: "in the future"

    Nobody thinks that by trading Cueto the Reds are going to win more games this year. Even you yourself said you see the Reds finishing the same with or without Cueto this year.

    Next year, Johnny won't be here. So the Reds have two options: 1) Get a compensatory draft pick when he goes to Free Agency or 2) Get multiple prospects via a trade. #2 is the better option which is why the Reds need to trade Cueto this year.

    I'm not sure why you don't seem to get it that trading him is better for the organization long term.

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Sep 12
    Location
    Reality Blvd
    Posts
    21,347

    Quote Originally Posted by nkuclubbaseball19 View Post
    You left out the key part: "in the future"

    Nobody thinks that by trading Cueto the Reds are going to win more games this year. Even you yourself said you see the Reds finishing the same with or without Cueto this year.

    Next year, Johnny won't be here. So the Reds have two options: 1) Get a compensatory draft pick when he goes to Free Agency or 2) Get multiple prospects via a trade. #2 is the better option which is why the Reds need to trade Cueto this year.

    I'm not sure why you don't seem to get it that trading him is better for the organization long term.
    If it was a garuntee Cueto wouldn't be here then yes, trade for something. My point has always been there is no garuntee he won't be here next year. No one seems to realize that maybe the reason they got rid of Latos and Simon so they could sign Cueto next year. That is why I thought they were getting rid of Latos and the All Star Simon, to clear up room for Cueto. Maybe I am way off base, but I haven't heard for a fact that the Reds weren't going to try and sign Cueto.

  14. #134
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    If it was a garuntee Cueto wouldn't be here then yes, trade for something. My point has always been there is no garuntee he won't be here next year. No one seems to realize that maybe the reason they got rid of Latos and Simon so they could sign Cueto next year. That is why I thought they were getting rid of Latos and the All Star Simon, to clear up room for Cueto. Maybe I am way off base, but I haven't heard for a fact that the Reds weren't going to try and sign Cueto.
    And trading him does not preclude the Reds from signing him next season. Keeping him on the roster until the end of the year doesn't make it any more likely that he will be a Red next year. It will all be about money, length of contract and where Cueto wants to play.

  15. #135
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,069

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbird View Post
    If it was a garuntee Cueto wouldn't be here then yes, trade for something. My point has always been there is no garuntee he won't be here next year. No one seems to realize that maybe the reason they got rid of Latos and Simon so they could sign Cueto next year. That is why I thought they were getting rid of Latos and the All Star Simon, to clear up room for Cueto. Maybe I am way off base, but I haven't heard for a fact that the Reds weren't going to try and sign Cueto.
    Sure, they'll try, but it will be like me trying to buy American Pharoah for $20 in our auction at Saturday's Derby Party — not enough ammo.

Top