Tim Tebow to Try Professional Baseball

Page 13 of Tim Tebow to try professional baseball - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV Former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL quarterback Tim Tebow has his eyes on a di... 237 comments | 9231 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #181
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    40,953

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    So, your theory is if they bring Tebow to the majors next week, he didn't get a chance over someone else? There is no one good enough in the Mets minor leagues to make the next step, so let's just bring Tebow up. Or is there a level, where he is not getting an opportunity over someone else?
    My theory is that in A Ball or High A Ball he's not blocking anyone. If another player is producing they will get a chance. There are guys in all levels right now today that will never make it to the majors, are they taking someone else's chance by your way of thinking.
    Advertisement

  2. #182
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,558

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    My theory is that in A Ball or High A Ball he's not blocking anyone. If another player is producing they will get a chance. There are guys in all levels right now today that will never make it to the majors, are they taking someone else's chance by your way of thinking.
    I'm saying if he wasn't a top 5 player than yes, he took someone else's chance that deserved it more than him.

  3. #183
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,864

    I don't think he's taking anyone's spot.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    6,733

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    I don't think he's taking anyone's spot.
    He's not. In every organization there are really only a few legit prospects at each level. The rest are basically roster fillers. Nobody is being held back or is missing a chance because Tebow is taking up a roster spot. Heck, more than half the guys at AAA will never see the bigs.

  5. #185
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders, will soon be forgotten.
    Posts
    19,530

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_Dad View Post
    My theory is that in A Ball or High A Ball he's not blocking anyone. If another player is producing they will get a chance. There are guys in all levels right now today that will never make it to the majors, are they taking someone else's chance by your way of thinking.
    Agreed, A and A+ is glorified instructional ball. He's not blocking anyone at this level, their highest prospects have a developmental plan. A lot of it is age driven now.

  6. #186
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    40,953

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    I'm saying if he wasn't a top 5 player than yes, he took someone else's chance that deserved it more than him.
    I disagree, there are simply so many players and available spots in the minors that no one's career is going to suffer because Tim Tebow or Michael Jordan are in the minors. All of the other outfielders that have played 45+ games this year at Columbia were all batting within .020 points of Tebow, it's not like any of them are just lighting it up and are getting held back by the Mets.

  7. #187

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    2,900

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Even if he does realize it, why would it matter? Would you care if someone told you that you could get paid to play baseball but it's just for them to make money off you?

    In his eyes even if he knows, it gives him a chance to play and try to get better.
    And the takes away from a kid who actually has skill. They signed him for the entertainment value and nothing more. And somewhere there was a player in their organization who actually deserved to be there get released for this circus show.

  8. #188
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,864

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    And the takes away from a kid who actually has skill. They signed him for the entertainment value and nothing more. And somewhere there was a player in their organization who actually deserved to be there get released for this circus show.
    The clown is batting over .400 at St. Lucie.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    6,733

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    And the takes away from a kid who actually has skill. They signed him for the entertainment value and nothing more. And somewhere there was a player in their organization who actually deserved to be there get released for this circus show.
    And who was that?? Again, the vast majority of minor leaguers never even get a sniff of the bigs. If anybody got released when Tebow signed, it wasn't because of Tebow...it was because they couldn't play. While I agree Tebow doesn't have anything close to the talent needed to make it, him being there isn't hurting anyone or costing a deserving player a job.

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    2,900

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    And who was that?? Again, the vast majority of minor leaguers never even get a sniff of the bigs. If anybody got released when Tebow signed, it wasn't because of Tebow...it was because they couldn't play. While I agree Tebow doesn't have anything close to the talent needed to make it, him being there isn't hurting anyone or costing a deserving player a job.
    I disagree but to each their own

  11. #191

    Join Date
    Oct 14
    Location
    Negan's Compound
    Posts
    2,900

    Quote Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
    The clown is batting over .400 at St. Lucie.
    Against 21-22 year olds lol good job Tebow!

  12. #192

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    6,733

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    I disagree but to each their own
    Check through the St Lucie Mets transactions. No outfielders were released prior to Tebow arriving. They did release a 3rd basemen 3 days AFTER Tebow arrived who had only played 5 games with them this year. And 4 or 5 guys got promoted from Columbus before Tebow.

    It's simply an untrue statement to say somebody lost their job due to Tebow being there. There's zero evidence that backs up that statement.

  13. #193
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,558

    Is there a pay raise to getting promoted in the minor leagues?

  14. #194
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,558

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    Check through the St Lucie Mets transactions. No outfielders were released prior to Tebow arriving. They did release a 3rd basemen 3 days AFTER Tebow arrived who had only played 5 games with them this year. And 4 or 5 guys got promoted from Columbus before Tebow.

    It's simply an untrue statement to say somebody lost their job due to Tebow being there. There's zero evidence that backs up that statement.
    I didn't realize minor league teams didn't have a cap on how many players they could have. That makes sense then.

  15. #195
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    49,864

    Quote Originally Posted by NKYknowitall View Post
    Against 21-22 year olds lol good job Tebow!
    Does that matter?

Top