The FA market is weird this year. What if ...

  1. #1
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,065

    The FA market is weird this year. What if ...

    ... this stuff continues and Bryce Harper has no place to play? Or really, any of the others?

    Can the Reds go even crazier than already and add a 1-year $30m contract for him or Machado? Or $20m for Keuchel or much less for Kimbrel? Just for laughs to try and compete in a silly-loaded division?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,593

    Anything the Reds can do to compete this year, I am all for. Go all in for 2019 and see what happens.

  3. #3
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Can the Reds go even crazier than already and add a 1-year $30m contract for him or Machado? Or $20m for Keuchel or much less for Kimbrel? Just for laughs to try and compete in a silly-loaded division?
    Could they? Sure.
    Will they? No.

    Harper likely ends up in San Diego, so let's take him off. Machado likely ends up in Philly, so scratch him. The Reds have moved on from Dallas Kuechel, so you can scratch him. I think the Realmuto deal still ultimately gets done and he is in Cincinnati this year. If you made me guess today, I think Philly also signs Craig Kimbrel, but he is the intriguing name you don't hear anyone talk about.

    I still think Adam Jones and Denard Span are in play for the Reds, specifically if they can find a taker for Matt Kemp. The Dodgers are on the hook for half of Kemp's pay this year, I think the Reds are willing to eat the other half just to get him to an AL team for next to nothing. He will be a MAJOR CANCER in the clubhouse if he isn't playing much, which I don't expect he will.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    346

    With Kemp currently on the roster, it makes me wish the NL had the DH. We could've easily plugged him in there.

  5. #5
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,268

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Could they? Sure.
    Will they? No.

    Harper likely ends up in San Diego, so let's take him off. Machado likely ends up in Philly, so scratch him. The Reds have moved on from Dallas Kuechel, so you can scratch him. I think the Realmuto deal still ultimately gets done and he is in Cincinnati this year. If you made me guess today, I think Philly also signs Craig Kimbrel, but he is the intriguing name you don't hear anyone talk about.

    I still think Adam Jones and Denard Span are in play for the Reds, specifically if they can find a taker for Matt Kemp. The Dodgers are on the hook for half of Kemp's pay this year, I think the Reds are willing to eat the other half just to get him to an AL team for next to nothing. He will be a MAJOR CANCER in the clubhouse if he isn't playing much, which I don't expect he will.
    I shake my head whenever I see the "cancer in the clubhouse" comment about someone on a sports team. I don't get it with them. If I were a "cancer in the workplace", I would be reprimanded and/or shown the door.

  6. #6
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    64,148

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    I shake my head whenever I see the "cancer in the clubhouse" comment about someone on a sports team. I don't get it with them. If I were a "cancer in the workplace", I would be reprimanded and/or shown the door.
    Major difference is these guys have multimillion dollar deals over multiple years and the $$ is 100% guaranteed. So if you caused issues at your work, you'd be shown the door and that'd be that. If a team gets rid of a "cancer", they're still on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars.

    One thing people really hate doing is paying lots of money for people to not work for them.

  7. #7
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,268

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Major difference is these guys have multimillion dollar deals over multiple years and the $$ is 100% guaranteed. So if you caused issues at your work, you'd be shown the door and that'd be that. If a team gets rid of a "cancer", they're still on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars.

    One thing people really hate doing is paying lots of money for people to not work for them.
    Ok, then I blame the clubs for bringing "cancer" into their "bodies".

  8. #8
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Quote Originally Posted by nkypete View Post
    Ok, then I blame the clubs for bringing "cancer" into their "bodies".
    Sometimes you have to bite a bullet to either get what you want, or get rid of what you want.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 18
    Location
    Brooksville, KY
    Posts
    288

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Could they? Sure.
    Will they? No.

    Harper likely ends up in San Diego, so let's take him off. Machado likely ends up in Philly, so scratch him. The Reds have moved on from Dallas Kuechel, so you can scratch him. I think the Realmuto deal still ultimately gets done and he is in Cincinnati this year. If you made me guess today, I think Philly also signs Craig Kimbrel, but he is the intriguing name you don't hear anyone talk about.

    I still think Adam Jones and Denard Span are in play for the Reds, specifically if they can find a taker for Matt Kemp. The Dodgers are on the hook for half of Kemp's pay this year, I think the Reds are willing to eat the other half just to get him to an AL team for next to nothing. He will be a MAJOR CANCER in the clubhouse if he isn't playing much, which I don't expect he will.
    I don't think Kemp would be overly happy either, but has to be a clubhouse upgrade from Homer Bailey.

  10. #10
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    2,086

    I don't see Kemp being benched to the degree that most are saying. Last years numbers .290-BA .338-OBP .818-Slugging. 21HR 85RBI. Played 146 games in the Dodgers crowded outfield. They'll find AB's for him.

  11. #11
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Quote Originally Posted by I gotta go to work View Post
    I don't see Kemp being benched to the degree that most are saying. Last years numbers .290-BA .338-OBP .818-Slugging. 21HR 85RBI. Played 146 games in the Dodgers crowded outfield. They'll find AB's for him.
    Barring injuries, if he is here on Opening Day, which I don't believe the Reds want, he will be half of a left / right platoon with Jesse Winker for left field. Since approximately 25% of starters are lefties, that would net him 40 starts. They do not want to have him on the team in April, they took him and half his salary because they had to, and he doesn't want to sit. He certainly is coming off a productive year, there is no question about that.

  12. #12
    I gotta go to work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 11
    Posts
    2,086

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Barring injuries, if he is here on Opening Day, which I don't believe the Reds want, he will be half of a left / right platoon with Jesse Winker for left field. Since approximately 25% of starters are lefties, that would net him 40 starts. They do not want to have him on the team in April, they took him and half his salary because they had to, and he doesn't want to sit. He certainly is coming off a productive year, there is no question about that.
    I haven't read or heard anything about the Reds not wanting him on the team in April other than comments in this thread. Is there info out there about this?

  13. #13
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Quote Originally Posted by I gotta go to work View Post
    I haven't read or heard anything about the Reds not wanting him on the team in April other than comments in this thread. Is there info out there about this?
    Publicly, the only place it was said was by Dick Williams to Mo Egger, when asked about Kemp being better-suited to be a DH, saying we are looking to make a lot more moves between now and getting to Goodyear. The inference was clear.

  14. #14
    The Double Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 18
    Posts
    703

    Quote Originally Posted by I gotta go to work View Post
    I haven't read or heard anything about the Reds not wanting him on the team in April other than comments in this thread. Is there info out there about this?
    Nick Senzel will be the starting Centerfielder with the Reds sooner rather than later, that will push Puig to RF, and likely push Schebler to LF...which makes Hal Morriss, err, Jesse Winker and Matt Kemp extra outfielders.

  15. #15
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by The Double Deuce View Post
    Nick Senzel will be the starting Centerfielder with the Reds sooner rather than later, that will push Puig to RF, and likely push Schebler to LF...which makes Hal Morriss, err, Jesse Winker and Matt Kemp extra outfielders.
    If that's the case Schebler, not Winker, should be the extra outfielder. Winker will be a much better offensive player than Schebler if you can live with his horrific defense.

Top