Robo Umpire

Page 3 of Is it time for balls and strikes to be called by technology, not a human umpire? We all see the strike box on TV. The technology is there. It is just a... 46 comments | 1625 Views | Go to page 1 →

View Poll Results: Robo Balls and Strikes?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 53.33%
  • No

    7 46.67%
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,010

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    Technology always screws up at some point. It quits working, shuts down, has delays.
    So let's never advance technology. One of the worst arguments I hear all the time. It's like saying you shouldn't buy a new car because there's more technology to go wrong. Even if it's safer, more comfortable, and easier to use. If it speeds up the game and makes it better the majority of the time, I can handle a few glitches every now and then. And remember, umps can get injured, sick, have bad days and screw things up just as easily, and likely more often than an ocassional computer glitch.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,784

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    So let's never advance technology. One of the worst arguments I hear all the time. It's like saying you shouldn't buy a new car because there's more technology to go wrong. Even if it's safer, more comfortable, and easier to use. If it speeds up the game and makes it better the majority of the time, I can handle a few glitches every now and then. And remember, umps can get injured, sick, have bad days and screw things up just as easily, and likely more often than an ocassional computer glitch.

    I'm still not convinced it's always a good thing.

  3. #33
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    27,339

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    I say you need to join up with plantman at Aunt Fancy's Looney Farm and call balls and strikes there.
    Ouch ... that is the ultimate insult. Seriously. Please don't ever go down this path again.

    I will take solace in the poll results and the posters here who think robo strikes/balls is a good thing.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,010

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    I'm still not convinced it's always a good thing.
    If you don't evolve, you get left behind. Standardizing the strike zone through a robo ump fixes biggest complaint players and coaches have about the game. I just don't see how that's a bad thing.

  5. #35
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,784

    Quote Originally Posted by rjs4470 View Post
    If you don't evolve, you get left behind. I just don't see how that's a bad thing.
    I'm sure people said the same thing about the credit card years ago.

  6. #36
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    7,593

    Quote Originally Posted by LRCW View Post
    I'm still not convinced it's always a good thing.
    It's not.

  7. #37
    Science Friction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13
    Location
    "Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun--- But Mama, that's where the fun is !!! "
    Posts
    7,593

    The kind of things you people are suggesting will ruin the game that we love.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,010

    Quote Originally Posted by Science Friction View Post
    The kind of things you people are suggesting will ruin the game that we love.
    It just seems strange. The number one complaint fans have is balls and strikes. Can't go to a game without hearing lots people yelling at the ump about the strike zone. But yet, no one wants to implement technology that can get rid of the problem spend so much time griping about.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,141

    Anyone interested in standardizing the strike zone without regard to player dimensions (hollow of the knee to the letters when swinging)? For example, at the MLB level the bottom of the zone is 18" above the plate and top is 42" above the plate. Width of home plate is obviously 17"

    If you want a consistent zone, make it the same for everyone. The NBA hoop is 18" in diameter and 10' above the floor regardless of how tall you are. The NFL sidelines are the same distance for everyone.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Posts
    7,010

    Quote Originally Posted by jpa2825 View Post
    Anyone interested in standardizing the strike zone without regard to player dimensions (hollow of the knee to the letters when swinging)? For example, at the MLB level the bottom of the zone is 18" above the plate and top is 42" above the plate. Width of home plate is obviously 17"

    If you want a consistent zone, make it the same for everyone. The NBA hoop is 18" in diameter and 10' above the floor regardless of how tall you are. The NFL sidelines are the same distance for everyone.
    Fundamentally changes the game and makes some guys either impossible to pitch to or very easy to pitch. It kills tall guys because low and away becomes unreacahble. And it makes it easier for short guys because it takes the low pitch away. You can't really compare the strike zone with the standardized dimensions you referred to as it would be impossible to change those dimensions on the fly due to player size. And those dimensions really don't affect the difficulty of the game. Plenty of short guys that can shoot the lights out in basement all, and plenty of tall guys that can't shoot at all.

  11. #41

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    500 reviews thus far in 2017.

    250 have been overturned.

    In 2016 51% were overturned.

  12. #42
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,890

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    500 reviews thus far in 2017.

    250 have been overturned.

    In 2016 51% were overturned.
    Honestly, I'd expect the percentage to be higher. But, it's not because the umpires are bad...it's because teams are already using video review to decide whether or not to challenge the call in the first place.

    Now, if the call had to be made in the dugout without any input from somebody watching a replay in slow-motion HD...then, I think you'd see far fewer calls overturned (percentage-wise).

    Also, I'd love to know of those 500, how many of them were for calls regarding the outfield wall and whether a ball is a home run or not. When you've got guys making calls on a 3-inch ball landing 200+ feet away, there's bound to be some missed.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Honestly, I'd expect the percentage to be higher. But, it's not because the umpires are bad...it's because teams are already using video review to decide whether or not to challenge the call in the first place.

    Now, if the call had to be made in the dugout without any input from somebody watching a replay in slow-motion HD...then, I think you'd see far fewer calls overturned (percentage-wise).

    Also, I'd love to know of those 500, how many of them were for calls regarding the outfield wall and whether a ball is a home run or not. When you've got guys making calls on a 3-inch ball landing 200+ feet away, there's bound to be some missed.

    34 HR challenges this yr. 20% overturned.

    24% were overturned in 2016.

  14. #44
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    18,960

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    34 HR challenges this yr. 20% overturned.

    24% were overturned in 2016.
    What play get's challenged the most? Which play do the umps miss the most?

  15. #45

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    What play get's challenged the most? Which play do the umps miss the most?
    The most challenged type of play is the tag/no tag play.

    Overturned about 50% of the time.

Top