Reds off season 2017

Page 8 of Can the Reds do anything to improve from a dreadful 2016? Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 113 comments | 5063 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #106
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    33,037

    Tough break but it just gives another young pitcher an opportunity.
    Advertisement

  2. #107
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    69,205

    Quote Originally Posted by dpeevh View Post
    I have to say that being a GM and signing a pitcher to a long term deal has to be a nerve wracking experience for your job security, especially in small to medium market. There is absolutely no way of telling what is going on inside that arm, even with MRI's and whatnot.
    Agreed, at the time he signed the deal Cueto was coming off 60 IP and multiples injury issues and it was between Homer and Latos getting an extension. I could only imagine what some of you would have said if they gave Cueto an extension after a year where he pitched 60 innings.

    Homer was coming off his 6 straight year lowering his ERA and WHIP. Granted some of those years were in limited action (Most were at least 20 starts). 2nd straight year of 200 + IP and was poised for what was likely a breakout year. Easy to say it was a mistake now after he has had multiple years of injures. He was paid market value at the time.

  3. #108
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    4,360

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Agreed, at the time he signed the deal Cueto was coming off 60 IP and multiples injury issues and it was between Homer and Latos getting an extension. I could only imagine what some of you would have said if they gave Cueto an extension after a year where he pitched 60 innings.

    Homer was coming off his 6 straight year lowering his ERA and WHIP. Granted some of those years were in limited action (Most were at least 20 starts). 2nd straight year of 200 + IP and was poised for what was likely a breakout year. Easy to say it was a mistake now after he has had multiple years of injures. He was paid market value at the time.
    I think he was actually underpaid what the market would have paid for him.

  4. #109
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    69,205

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    I think he was actually underpaid what the market would have paid for him.
    Agreed, you could make a pretty convincing argument to support that.

  5. #110
    Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    90,203

    Rosenthal says Braves are close to acquiring BP.

  6. #111
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    50,903

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Rosenthal says Braves are close to acquiring BP.
    Return should be minimal and Reds will pay most of his salary

  7. #112

    Join Date
    Jan 07
    Posts
    6,585

    Would an American League team have any interest in Meso as a DH only? If Phillips is actually gone this would be the next contract would like to unload

  8. #113
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    69,205

    Quote Originally Posted by All In View Post
    Would an American League team have any interest in Meso as a DH only? If Phillips is actually gone this would be the next contract would like to unload
    It had nothing to with unloading a contract.

  9. #114
    halfback20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    50,903

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    It had nothing to with unloading a contract.
    Couldn't be since they didn't actually unload BPs contract

Top