Reds Decline To Renew Jim Kelch's Contract

Page 2 of Reds 'simplifying' broadcast booth, don't renew Jim Kelch ... 40 comments | 3656 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Until Marty goes and they can clean house with the broadcast group its going to be bad.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Mediocre Nachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    1,280

    Changing the subject slightly: My dad absolutely detests Chris Welsh on TV and says he's a "Know It All" and will turn off the TV and listen to radio broadcasts instead because he hates him that much. I teased him that Welsh will probably move into the radio booth. Does anyone else feel this resentment towards Welsh or is my old man crazy? Is Welsh even a candidate to do radio?

  3. #18
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,763

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Nachos View Post
    Changing the subject slightly: My dad absolutely detests Chris Welsh on TV and says he's a "Know It All" and will turn off the TV and listen to radio broadcasts instead because he hates him that much. I teased him that Welsh will probably move into the radio booth. Does anyone else feel this resentment towards Welsh or is my old man crazy? Is Welsh even a candidate to do radio?
    Doesn't seem like a know it all to me, I mean he was a major leaguer. I myself have no issue with Welsh

  4. #19
    Mediocre Nachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15
    Posts
    1,280

    Quote Originally Posted by OlDog75 View Post
    Doesn't seem like a know it all to me, I mean he was a major leaguer. I myself have no issue with Welsh
    I don’t think so either but I get a charge out of countless random texts from my dad voicing his displeasure. For Christmas, I’ve ordered him a personalized Reds t shirt with Welsh on the back.

  5. #20
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,763

    Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre Nachos View Post
    I don’t think so either but I get a charge out of countless random texts from my dad voicing his displeasure. For Christmas, I’ve ordered him a personalized Reds t shirt with Welsh on the back.
    He may burn it.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 09
    Location
    california,ky
    Posts
    179

    As far as Chris Welsh,and i know him a little. Played for him one year at baseball heaven, i thought he was much more opinionated when he started with the reds. But i have noticed over the past 4 or 5 years, he seems [at least to me] to have started toeing the company line. A lot less criticism. A lot more happy talk!!! rah,rah,rah!!!! I like mediocre nachos ideal for his dad,but I'd make sure the t-shirt is autographed by Chris too. ....lol!

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    184

    IMO, the radio booth is going to be cluttered until Marty hangs up his microphone, is it my imagination or do the reds let Marty have a few series off now and then? I think its time for Marty to go and put someone beside the Cowboy and stand pat. Just my two cents worth.

  8. #23
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,812

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom 5497 View Post
    IMO, the radio booth is going to be cluttered until Marty hangs up his microphone, is it my imagination or do the reds let Marty have a few series off now and then? I think its time for Marty to go and put someone beside the Cowboy and stand pat. Just my two cents worth.
    I agree I am ready for Marty to retire. He does take a bunch of series off. He is only signing one year contracts now, so he is probably about done. He has said in the past, though, he doesn't want any fanfare when he retires and will let everyone know the day after his contract expires if he is retiring so there won't be any parties/gifts etc.

  9. #24
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,158

    I didn't mind Jim one way or another. I like the idea of a solid rotation in the booth. Too much change.

  10. #25
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,763

    I like Doug Flynn in either booth. And always thought Jeff Piecoro would be good.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,361

    I just saw an article that said Danny Graves and Sam LeCure are going to be Grand Marshals for the Opening Day (not really) Parade in 2018. It also said that Graves and LeCure will contribute to coverage of the Reds this season on WLW. One article said they were both doing color commentary.

    While it is WEAK SAUCE that's the best they can do for Grand Marshals, what experience or capabilities do either bring to the booth?

    It's bad enough the team is gonna be turrrrrrible, now we gotta listen to on-the-job training announcers? C'mon man. What we even tryna do here, man?

  12. #27
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,158

    Pretty sure Graves has been working at MLB Network for a few years now. So he has some experience in that industry.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    20,192

    Typical Reds recycling their garbage.

  14. #29
    OlDog75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 06
    Location
    Sittin' in the stands above the 50 yard line.
    Posts
    9,763

    Quote Originally Posted by jpa2825 View Post
    I just saw an article that said Danny Graves and Sam LeCure are going to be Grand Marshals for the Opening Day (not really) Parade in 2018. It also said that Graves and LeCure will contribute to coverage of the Reds this season on WLW. One article said they were both doing color commentary.

    While it is WEAK SAUCE that's the best they can do for Grand Marshals, what experience or capabilities do either bring to the booth?

    It's bad enough the team is gonna be turrrrrrible, now we gotta listen to on-the-job training announcers? C'mon man. What we even tryna do here, man?
    I don't know why they don't try Jeff Piecoro. He's been around for years, does a great job with pre-game and after game duties.

  15. #30
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,256

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Typical Reds recycling their garbage.
    You've got to be the most negative person in the world

Top