Reds and Dodgers Agreed to a “Significant trade”

Page 3 of Per sources, the deal will be: To CIN: Kemp, Wood, Puig To LAD: Bailey, RHP Josiah Gray, INF Jeter Downs. Still more coming out about this.... 60 comments | 3166 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,619

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Per sources, the deal will be:

    To CIN: Kemp, Wood, Puig
    To LAD: Bailey, RHP Josiah Gray, INF Jeter Downs.


    Still more coming out about this.
    Reds are getting a lot of old-timers.
    Advertisement

  2. #32
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,593

    What a great day. Y'all can take back all my Christmas presents.

  3. #33
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by tcjkbt View Post
    Reds are getting a lot of old-timers.
    Puig and Wood will both be 28 next season. Only Kemp would be outside of his prime.

  4. #34
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,541

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Puig and Wood will both be 28 next season. Only Kemp would be outside of his prime.
    Only Kemp is under contract after this year though.

  5. #35
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,593

    As a Reds fan, I am excited for 2019.

    As a beer vendor at GABP, I am about to start praising Jesus that people are excited and may come to the ballpark.

  6. #36
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Posts
    23,148

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    As a Reds fan, I am excited for 2019.

    As a beer vendor at GABP, I am about to start praising Jesus that people are excited and may come to the ballpark.
    He’ll probably hit 50 dingers, the Reds will be 20 games back and they won’t trade him and let him walk in the offseason.

  7. #37
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    "Weakness is strong, we must be stronger."
    Posts
    22,541

    Trade Scooter, grab a pitcher and hope for the best.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    346

    This trade is a win because we finally got rid of Homer Bailey.

    Not sold on Kemp being a big contributor as last year might be a bit of an aberration. Glad to have Puig, though, as I've always been a fan.

  9. #39
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    52,593

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    He’ll probably hit 50 dingers, the Reds will be 20 games back and they won’t trade him and let him walk in the offseason.
    As long as they lineup a Puig bobblehead and 40,000 show up, I am good lol.

    If they can find a way to grab a true number one, I like my chances for a more lucrative year than 2017 & 2018 haha!

  10. #40
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    12,815

    This deal is a win for the Reds because they dumped Bailey and his contract. I don’t think what the Reds got in return is great by any means, but it does make the team better. How much better is yet to be determined. They are shorter contracts for the guys coming in so the Reds aren’t handicapped. I don’t think this deal moves the Reds up to a team that can make the playoffs or anywhere close to it really.

  11. #41
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    72,269

    Quote Originally Posted by John Anthony View Post
    Trade Scooter, grab a pitcher and hope for the best.
    Agreed, this only makes sense if you truly go for it this year.

  12. #42
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Agreed, this only makes sense if you truly go for it this year.
    Good take. If they don't add a top of the rotation pitcher all they've done is move up a spot, or maybe 2 in the division for one season at the cost of a premium prospect. Surely they have a plan to add Keuchel, Kluber or Bauerr or they wouldn't have done this.

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Apr 14
    Posts
    4,023

    Look guys, I am a math guy, and 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 in this deal. So it has to be an accounting transaction and that never gets clarified because the media has no clue. Can someone clarify for me how the accounting works? Take on a $22M contract plus payout $7M to Cinti because the luxury charge is only $17.5M and then release Bailey. Superficial-monopoly talk to me.

  14. #44
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    31,148

    The Reds get 3 former all stars for Homer and two hopefuls. Who cares about any other details?

    Alex Wood is a very good #2 starter. Staying healthy for a full season is the concern with him.

    As of now with no other moves, the Reds starters are the best rotation for the Reds since when ... ?

  15. #45
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,782

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldercoach View Post
    Look guys, I am a math guy, and 2 + 2 doesn't equal 4 in this deal. So it has to be an accounting transaction and that never gets clarified because the media has no clue. Can someone clarify for me how the accounting works? Take on a $22M contract plus payout $7M to Cinti because the luxury charge is only $17.5M and then release Bailey. Superficial-monopoly talk to me.
    Bailey deferred some of his money in his contact so not all of it counts against the luxury tax threshold. The Bailey and Kemp contracts are largely a wash. But it looks something like this:
    The Dodgers pay Bailey $28 million (but only take a luxury tax hit of $17.5 million ) and send Bailey to the house. They send the Reds back $7 million. That's $35 million. In the process they shed $18.25 million owed to Kemp (the Padres have to pay $3.5 million of his $21.75 million this season.), as well as approximately $11 million to Puig and Wood's arbitration number which will be more than the $6 million that he made last season. So that's $35 million paid out by the Dodgers and at least $35 million saved depending on what Wood and Puig get paid. The Dodgers save a little bit against the luxury tax threshold but also gain 3 spots on their 40 man roster to go after some other players.

Top