NL MVP

Page 2 of Going to be announced here in just a bit. Fingers crossed for Votto. Goldschmidt probably the favorite, being on a winning team and already having won ... 34 comments | 973 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    8,236

    Quote Originally Posted by dpeevh View Post
    I know there are those who argue that you have to be on a contender but I say this, how many games would Miami or Reds win without these guys? Wasn’t Votto’s fault that 4/5 of their starting pitching was out for part or all of year or that management didn’t do its job.
    The Reds lose 115 games without Joey Votto.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    1,031

    What a joke those 2 guys should be ask why the voted the way they did. Put them on the hot seat to answer the tuff questions.

  3. #18
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    15,803

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    The Reds lose 115 games without Joey Votto.
    Yup, they would have finished in last place without him..... wait a minute.

  4. #19
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    8,236

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Yup, they would have finished in last place without him..... wait a minute.
    It's baseball. It doesn't matter how good your best player is. So Votto should be punished because his team is horrible? Get lost.

  5. #20
    SnottieDrippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Temecula
    Posts
    3,602

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Guess the asking price by Jeter is going to go up now.
    Ooooh, a "Jeter paid off the writers to increase trade value" conspiracy? I love it!

  6. #21
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,234

    Quote Originally Posted by SnottieDrippen View Post
    Ooooh, a "Jeter paid off the writers to increase trade value" conspiracy? I love it!
    Stanton could join Alex Rodriguez, as the only reining MVP's to be traded in the off season in the past 100 years, I think.

  7. #22
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Walton
    Posts
    2,073

    Stanton probably deserved it. HE had a Bonds type year without drugs. Stanton earned this award. I still wish Votto would have won though.

  8. #23
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,323

    Quote Originally Posted by CAP View Post
    What a joke those 2 guys should be ask why the voted the way they did. Put them on the hot seat to answer the tuff questions.
    They both responded right away to C Trent and gave their explanations why they voted the way they did. I believe they both voted Goldschmidt number one mostly because of team. And one of the reasons given was exactly what AVJ said and Reds would have finished last with or without him. They said if it was most outstanding player they would have voted Votto based on statistics but MVP helps their team win games.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 03
    Location
    The City of Beautiful Homes
    Posts
    2,196

    I don't hate either guy's explanation.

    However, for the 4 ballots that had Votto/Stanton 5/6, all had Blackmon & Arenado above them. I just can't imagine how you can put 2 guys on the same team (a team that won the same # of playoff games that the Reds won ) ahead of either of those guys. Mind boggling.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 16
    Posts
    451

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Yup, they would have finished in last place without him..... wait a minute.
    Congratulations on your Red Sox World Series win....wait a minute.

  11. #26
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    20,129

    Quote Originally Posted by jpa2825 View Post
    I don't hate either guy's explanation.

    However, for the 4 ballots that had Votto/Stanton 5/6, all had Blackmon & Arenado above them. I just can't imagine how you can put 2 guys on the same team (a team that won the same # of playoff games that the Reds won ) ahead of either of those guys. Mind boggling.
    I can, they were on a team that made the playoffs. The MVP is so subjective. If it said best season then Stanton and Votto by far.

  12. #27
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    15,803

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Hangin Around View Post
    Congratulations on your Red Sox World Series win....wait a minute.
    Which one? 2004, 2007 2013? I'll take being in the playoffs most years and having a chance vs not winning a playoff series since Bill Clinton's first term.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    1,031

    Quote Originally Posted by littleluck55 View Post
    They both responded right away to C Trent and gave their explanations why they voted the way they did. I believe they both voted Goldschmidt number one mostly because of team. And one of the reasons given was exactly what AVJ said and Reds would have finished last with or without him. They said if it was most outstanding player they would have voted Votto based on statistics but MVP helps their team win games.
    I think its harder to put up them numbers by both Votto and Stanton on teams that aren't any good. Reason being you have no one that hits behind you to protect like the good teams do, you get walked a lot for those reason and often don't get the pitches to hit.
    Silver slugger award boggles my mind as well, Votto should have won that easy.

  14. #29
    littleluck55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Posts
    5,323

    Quote Originally Posted by CAP View Post
    I think its harder to put up them numbers by both Votto and Stanton on teams that aren't any good. Reason being you have no one that hits behind you to protect like the good teams do, you get walked a lot for those reason and often don't get the pitches to hit.
    Silver slugger award boggles my mind as well, Votto should have won that easy.
    100% hosed on silver slugger. I thought maybe he would win MVP since he got screwed on silver slugger but my understanding, it is a different group of people who vote.

  15. #30
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    You got BBQ back there and didn't invite me? HURT. MY. FEELINGS!
    Posts
    8,236

    I keep seeing the argument about "Valuable". Can someone please explain to me how Votto could have helped the Reds win more games than they did this year? You can't judge valuable in baseball. You can only judge the production you have day in and day out. It's not like basketball. One player can't carry a team. If you want to go "valuable" then an ace starting pitcher is always more valuable than any position player and they only impact 20% of their teams games. If you think Goldschmidt was more valuable than Votto simply because their teams made the playoffs you are out of your mind and clearly don't understand baseball. I have zero problem with Stanton winning. He had a fantastic year. I have a huge problem with the people who voted Votto and Stanton low because their teams were awful like that is somehow their fault. Just ridiculous. I'm tired of these moronic "experts" who have a voice and a vote who clearly don't know anything about baseball.

Top