Netting in Baseball Stadiums

Page 2 of The instant New York Yankees third baseman Todd Frazier realized a young girl had been struck in the face by a foul ball he rocketed into the stands on... 49 comments | 1222 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    60,967

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    Not trying to be cute, but you can't tell a 40 year old to sit at their own risk and pay attention to the game 100%. I pay attention 10000% more than my wife and kid when we're at a game. But, are there times where I'm looking at the scoreboard or something else and I miss a pitch. All it takes is one.

    Hey Bob...be proactive...put the damn nets up.
    Or you're with your kid and he spills his snow cone all over himself and you have to look down and grab a napkin and BANG...The whole "well just pay attention" excuse is just ignorance.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    55,975

    If people can sit in the best seats in the house and not be bothered by a net, then there's no reason that nets can't be extended all the way down the baselines and it be a hindrance to watching the game.

  3. #18
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,239

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Or you're with your kid and he spills his snow cone all over himself and you have to look down and grab a napkin and BANG...The whole "well just pay attention" excuse is just ignorance.
    What about the vendors? Half the time they've got their backs turned to the field. Do they get helmets and flak jackets? I'm sure a certain BGP member would prefer the netting...especially on those hot, humid summer days.

  4. #19
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,092

    Cincinnati Reds‏Verified account @Reds

    #Reds to install additional netting at GABP by Opening Day in 2018.


  5. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 03
    Posts
    10,574

    The players have pushed for additional netting for years, but the owners and MLB have pushed back. The main reason is they don't want to lose season ticket holders, and the commish says it would be difficult to define due to the different styles of stadiums. It all comes down to money, because the small print on the back of the ticket protects MLB.

    With today's technology, you would think they could make some type of thin gauge netting (fishing line) that would be less noticeable than the current netting behind home plate and provide just as much protection.

  6. #21
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    58,111

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Cincinnati Reds‏Verified account @Reds

    #Reds to install additional netting at GABP by Opening Day in 2018.

    Good. Hopefully will be mandatory at all MLB parks.

  7. #22
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,239

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Cincinnati Reds‏Verified account @Reds

    #Reds to install additional netting at GABP by Opening Day in 2018.

    Good job, Bob.

  8. #23
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    43,694

    New revenue stream for the owners?



    From the back you don't see the ad...I can't believe this isn't already happening.

  9. #24
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Deplorable
    Posts
    22,048

    At the very minimum to the end of the dugouts. Preferably 25-30 feet farther

  10. #25
    Jumper_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06
    Location
    To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible
    Posts
    43,694

    Quote Originally Posted by nees1212 View Post
    The players have pushed for additional netting for years, but the owners and MLB have pushed back. The main reason is they don't want to lose season ticket holders, and the commish says it would be difficult to define due to the different styles of stadiums. It all comes down to money, because the small print on the back of the ticket protects MLB.

    With today's technology, you would think they could make some type of thin gauge netting (fishing line) that would be less noticeable than the current netting behind home plate and provide just as much protection.
    They could use line like braided fishing line to make the nets, it would be many times smaller than the current netting material and very very strong.

  11. #26
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,862

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    What about the vendors? Half the time they've got their backs turned to the field. Do they get helmets and flak jackets? I'm sure a certain BGP member would prefer the netting...especially on those hot, humid summer days.
    I do my best not to think about it. But yeah, my back is constantly to the field. When everyone reacts around me to a foul ball, I usually duck down because I have no idea where it is. 105 MPH line drive, I'm at the mercy of fate.

    I have had my peanut bag clipped by a line drive foul ball before. Laughed it off and joked with fans around me that they could have gotten me killed by not catching the ball. Didn't think til after how dangerous that was.

  12. #27
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,862

    Putting up nets will be different and I don't love it but its what is needed and what is best for the fan experience. No one needs to have their life at risk due to stubborness.

    After two games, the nets won't bother anyone.

  13. #28
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    49,862

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Cincinnati Reds‏Verified account @Reds

    #Reds to install additional netting at GABP by Opening Day in 2018.

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    At the very minimum to the end of the dugouts. Preferably 25-30 feet farther
    From listening to scuttlebutt at the ballpark last night, end of the dugout in GABP in the press release means the end closest to home plate. Which isn't much additional netting at all. I'm thinking what I was told was wrong because what is the point of that? If it is truly to the other end of the dugout, then that's definitely at least a start.

  14. #29
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    17,806

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    From listening to scuttlebutt at the ballpark last night, end of the dugout in GABP in the press release means the end closest to home plate. Which isn't much additional netting at all. I'm thinking what I was told was wrong because what is the point of that? If it is truly to the other end of the dugout, then that's definitely at least a start.
    If you go to the other end of the dugout, you cut out all the fan interaction with the players at the dugout. No more throwing balls up to fans coming off the field and such.

  15. #30
    TheDeuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    The Heisman House
    Posts
    46,033

    Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If you go to the other end of the dugout, you cut out all the fan interaction with the players at the dugout. No more throwing balls up to fans coming off the field and such.
    Yeah because that should trump safety.

Top