Homer Bailey

Page 4 of The Reds are now 1-18 in his starts. He's got a 3.8 WAR for his career. I know it is in hindsight, but is this the worst contract in Reds history? 6 ye... 64 comments | 2040 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 12
    Posts
    1,004

    I would play Senzel in Right Field, Schebler in CF, and Winker in Left if I had too. It is amazing that we worry about position they play yet the Big Red Machine guys played everywhere. I believe that Old Pete made the All star game at 7 different positions, I can not remember I just know it freaked me out to see that stat.

    I like the idea of moving Scooter as well if it can help land us a starting pitcher and agree we have to spend some money, and according to management we are going too.

    Mustang who would you like to see as manager next year>. Wish list?
    Advertisement

  2. #47
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,977

    Quote Originally Posted by 8th Region Warrior View Post
    I would play Senzel in Right Field, Schebler in CF, and Winker in Left if I had too. It is amazing that we worry about position they play yet the Big Red Machine guys played everywhere. I believe that Old Pete made the All star game at 7 different positions, I can not remember I just know it freaked me out to see that stat.

    I like the idea of moving Scooter as well if it can help land us a starting pitcher and agree we have to spend some money, and according to management we are going too.

    Mustang who would you like to see as manager next year>. Wish list?
    Senzel has had multiple bouts of vertigo. I just wouldn't risk it with moving him to a position that involves getting turned around, potential wall crashes, etc.

    I'd probably have Girardi at the top of my list, but I'll be content with anyone that puts an emphasis on analytics. Honestly, as long as it isn't Riggleman, I'll probably be happy.

  3. #48
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,977


    Mark Sheldon
    ‏Verified account @m_sheldon
    6m6 minutes ago

    At a season ticket holder luncheon, Riggleman announced that Tyler Mahle will replace Homer Bailey in the rotation #Reds
    1 reply 12 retweets 33 likes


    Only about 5 months too late....

  4. #49
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,934

    Don't be surprised if Homer is in the rotation at opening day next year. The sad fact is the young pitchers have not forced the Reds' hand to take Bailey out of the rotation. With the financial commitment the Reds have to Bailey, he is getting to get the nod if there is any room for debate.

  5. #50
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,977

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Don't be surprised if Homer is in the rotation at opening day next year. The sad fact is the young pitchers have not forced the Reds' hand to take Bailey out of the rotation. With the financial commitment the Reds have to Bailey, he is getting to get the nod if there is any room for debate.
    That's the thing. There's no room for debate. They're all better than him at this point.

  6. #51
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,934

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    That's the thing. There's no room for debate. They're all better than him at this point.
    Is it that clear cut? I understand letting the youngsters pitch and get experience. It is definitely a good move benching Bailey the rest of the way and letting the youngsters get more innings and experience. But when next year rolls around and the Reds are going to try to compete, the young pitchers need to make it clear they are better and will give the team a better chance at winning. Personally, I haven't seen that clear cut advantage out of any of the young pitchers yet except Castillo.

    If it was opening day tomorrow and I had to set the Reds rotation from the current roster, I would have:

    1. Desclafani
    2. Castillo
    3. Harvey
    4. toss up
    5. toss up

    Since it is very doubtful Harvey is here next year, that makes 3 of the starting slots a toss up. Do the Reds have 3 better starters on their roster right now than Bailey?

  7. #52
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,977

    IMO, yes. Romano, Mahle, Reed, Stephenson, Sims, etc.

    If you look at the numbers, there's no argument for Bailey over anyone.

  8. #53
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,324

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    IMO, yes. Romano, Mahle, Reed, Stephenson, Sims, etc.

    If you look at the numbers, there's no argument for Bailey over anyone.
    Well Stephenson does have an ERA of over 9 so you could argue Bailey over him and Romano's numbers as a starter are only marginally better. But DeSclafani, Castillo, Mahle and Reed for sure.

  9. #54
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Family of 4, coming January 2019...
    Posts
    62,977

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Well Stephenson does have an ERA of over 9 so you could argue Bailey over him and Romano's numbers as a starter are only marginally better. But DeSclafani, Castillo, Mahle and Reed for sure.
    I'd argue Stephenson's only thrown 3 games, so the ERA # is skewed. Romano's numbers aren't a ton better, but he has been better and should only continue to improve.

    And I'm not saying Stephenson should be in the rotation at all. Simply that he's a better option, IMO, than Bailey.

  10. #55
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,948

    They simply have to add SP this off season if they are serious about doing anything.

  11. #56
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,324

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    They simply have to add SP this off season if they are serious about doing anything.
    Unless they add at least 2 #1 or #2 level starters I think they're still the 4th best team in the division.

  12. #57
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,948

    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJoesGym View Post
    Unless they add at least 2 #1 or #2 level starters I think they're still the 4th best team in the division.
    Probably, but they should have some cash to spend and they have assets to trade.

  13. #58
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,934

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    IMO, yes. Romano, Mahle, Reed, Stephenson, Sims, etc.

    If you look at the numbers, there's no argument for Bailey over anyone.
    Stephenson? I'm okay giving him a shot this September but if he is anything like what he has shown this year I say it is time to move on.

    I am all for giving those guys Innings the rest of the season and giving them opportunity in spring training. The question is when do we say what we have seen is all we can expect?

  14. #59
    John Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 07
    Location
    Somewhere in the USA, standing & saluting those who defend our flag.
    Posts
    21,762

    It’s just not that hard, Homer is a low leverage reliever.

  15. #60
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,459

    Lorenzen may be a starter.

Top