Home Run Derby

Page 2 of Anyone remember the Home Run Derby TV. shows from the early 60s, I'm guessing, where two sluggers like Mays and Mantle would be filmed in black and whi... 29 comments | 574 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Deplorable
    Posts
    21,571

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Seeing these prospects do so well for the Yankees. Makes me really wonder why the reds settled for what they got in the trade for Chapman. One of best closers in baseball and didn't have to give up really any of their top guys for him.
    Part of me feels like we got taken on the Chapman deal too. In retrospect, I'd have like to see us give up Schwarber for Andrew Miller.
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    48,912

    Quote Originally Posted by futurecoach View Post
    Seeing these prospects do so well for the Yankees. Makes me really wonder why the reds settled for what they got in the trade for Chapman. One of best closers in baseball and didn't have to give up really any of their top guys for him.
    The pending suspension and charges Chapman had on him really screwed the Reds at the time of the trade.

  3. #18
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    48,912

    The new format is so much better for the HR Derby. Enjoyed watching last night, even though I only probably knew half the participants by name.

    Is Aaron Judge officially one of the Top 3 names in baseball?

  4. #19
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,586

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    The new format is so much better for the HR Derby. Enjoyed watching last night, even though I only probably knew half the participants by name.
    Agree. However, I'd go back to the 3 min. rounds like they had in Cincinnati a couple of years ago. I think that extra minute in the earlier rounds really shows up in the finals.

  5. #20
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,671

    I got the feeling the balls were a little juiced for the hometown players. Any chance of that?

  6. #21
    mcpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 05
    Location
    Home of a proud papa
    Posts
    56,288


  7. #22
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    18,770

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    I got the feeling the balls were a little juiced for the hometown players. Any chance of that?
    Well, neither made it out of the first round so...

  8. #23
    00Rocket28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 03
    Location
    Deplorable
    Posts
    21,571

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    The new format is so much better for the HR Derby. Enjoyed watching last night, even though I only probably knew half the participants by name.

    Is Aaron Judge officially one of the Top 3 names in baseball?
    Maybe this morning, but in 2 weeks, probably not.

    Trout, Harper, Posey, Kershaw, Kris Bryant just to name a few.

  9. #24
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Cold Spring, KY
    Posts
    48,912

    Quote Originally Posted by 00Rocket28 View Post
    Maybe this morning, but in 2 weeks, probably not.

    Trout, Harper, Posey, Kershaw, Kris Bryant just to name a few.
    Harper and Kershaw would have rounded out the top three.

    I don't watch a whole lot of ESPN anymore but I feel like I hear about Aaron Judge quite a bit more than Posey and Kris Bryant at least and that was before last night.

    You're probably right, but if he continues in the 2nd half of the season the way he did the first, he might be. Stature alone.

  10. #25
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,671

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Well, neither made it out of the first round so...
    Well, Stanton hit 16 and had 8 of them over 480'.
    Bour hit 22 and got beat by the beast they called Judge.

    Just wondering with Frazier winning at home and those guys launching like they did, just wondering if they set it up to have a hometown hero win it.

  11. #26
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,671

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    The new format is so much better for the HR Derby. Enjoyed watching last night, even though I only probably knew half the participants by name.

    Is Aaron Judge officially one of the Top 3 names in baseball?
    Never heard of him until last night, but boy is he a physical specimen!

  12. #27
    woodsrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Posts
    18,770

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Well, Stanton hit 16 and had 8 of them over 480'.
    Bour hit 22 and got beat by the beast they called Judge.

    Just wondering with Frazier winning at home and those guys launching like they did, just wondering if they set it up to have a hometown hero win it.
    Have you Stanton hit before? And Bour's average distance in the first round was only 5th best plus in that part being left handed is a plus as the right field line is 10 or so feet shorter.

  13. #28
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    13,671

    Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider View Post
    Have you Stanton hit before? And Bour's average distance in the first round was only 5th best plus in that part being left handed is a plus as the right field line is 10 or so feet shorter.
    Stanton was the reigning champ, I get that. Bour was hitting pop ups and they were drifting over the fence. Maybe all the balls were juiced?

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 05
    Location
    WHO DEY!!!
    Posts
    18,689

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    The pending suspension and charges Chapman had on him really screwed the Reds at the time of the trade.
    Agreed and the reds panicked. Most likely could have waited until even the trade dead line of that year then to trade him. Yankees didn't give up to much for him. Then were able to trade him themselves for a better return than what they gave up. Now have him back.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 11
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    6,670

    You just became my favorite person on BGP.

Top