Dusty Baker Astros Manager

  1. #1
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,497

    Dusty Baker Astros Manager

    Dusty Baker has been hired to manage the Houston Astros.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    sweet16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    The real WKY
    Posts
    22,302

    I really think the Astros could have got someone better. But who knows others may have decided to stay stayed away from it.

  3. #3
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,497

    Dusty is currently #16 all time in wins.

  4. #4
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,546

    I'm happy for him. Everywhere he goes, he takes his team to the playoffs. He is a proven winner. If you look at his career numbers both as a manager and his 19-year career as a player, he should be in the HOF. One of the most success people in the history of baseball.

  5. #5
    FatNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 10
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    694

    I wish Dusty was still in Cincinnati.

  6. #6
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,672

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    Everywhere he goes, he takes his team to the playoffs.
    Or, maybe better stated, His teams take him to the playoffs.

  7. #7
    PP1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    3,546

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Or, maybe better stated, His teams take him to the playoffs.
    I think we are on opposite sides on this one. Four different teams.... that is a lot of teams to take to the playoffs. Every one of those four teams was bad before he came and 3 of the 4 were bad the season after he left.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 15
    Posts
    66

    Here's a quick story about the kind of guy Dusty Baker is:

    After the Reds had just lost Game 5 of the 2012 NLDS (where they had a 2-0 game lead and lost 3 at home to loose the series), Dusty was walking back through the tunnel to the Reds Clubhouse after finishing his post-game press conference. There was a group of fans taking a picture outside of the Diamond Club and as Dusty approached them the guy taking the picture mentioned Dusty to go on through. Dusty very nicely said "no, go ahead and get your picture". He waited until they were done then gave them a smile and a wave and then walked on back to the Clubhouse. Just can't think that there are that many Managers that would have first of all been that observant, or secondly would have been cordial enough to wait for those folks to get their picture. I was always a fan of Dusty as a player and Manager but that made me a fan of the man as well.

  9. #9
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,083

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I'm happy for him. Everywhere he goes, he takes his team to the playoffs. He is a proven winner. If you look at his career numbers both as a manager and his 19-year career as a player, he should be in the HOF. One of the most success people in the history of baseball.
    Dusty Baker getting in the HOF would be extremely consistent with the absurdity with which the BWAA votes. In no way Dusty Baker should even be in consideration for the hall of fame. He’s the living embodiment of good, not great.

  10. #10
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,497

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    Dusty Baker getting in the HOF would be extremely consistent with the absurdity with which the BWAA votes. In no way Dusty Baker should even be in consideration for the hall of fame. He’s the living embodiment of good, not great.
    He is better than good and I don't think there is anyone in the HOF that is just "good". Let's at least call it very good, well above average or something like that. He is #5 all time in number of times managing his team into the playoffs. Every one of the top 15 on that list who is eligible for the HOF is in the HOF. And Dusty is #5 on that list. He will be in the HOF.

    The 4 managers ahead of him on playoff teams are Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Casey Stengel.

    MLB Managers | Baseball-Reference.com

  11. #11
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,083

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    He is better than good and I don't think there is anyone in the HOF that is just "good". Let's at least call it very good, well above average or something like that. He is #5 all time in number of times managing his team into the playoffs. Every one of the top 15 on that list who is eligible for the HOF is in the HOF. And Dusty is #5 on that list. He will be in the HOF.

    The 4 managers ahead of him on playoff teams are Bobby Cox, Joe Torre, Tony La Russa and Casey Stengel.

    MLB Managers | Baseball-Reference.com
    He’s the Andy Dalton of baseball managers.

  12. #12
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,497

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    He’s the Andy Dalton of baseball managers.
    Andy would have to be top 5 in passing to be comparable to Dusty.

  13. #13
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,672

    Quote Originally Posted by PP1 View Post
    I think we are on opposite sides on this one. Four different teams.... that is a lot of teams to take to the playoffs. Every one of those four teams was bad before he came and 3 of the 4 were bad the season after he left.
    Dusty is a great guy - a "player's coach", which to me reads the lunatics run the asylum.

    He has no - zero - personality or emotion.
    He will suck the air out of a city and its fan base.
    He is certainly not the guy I want coaching my potential contending team.

  14. #14
    GrantNKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Location
    Be the person people are talking about, not the person talking about other people.
    Posts
    14,083

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Andy would have to be top 5 in passing to be comparable to Dusty.
    When Dusty had talent on the field he looked really good but still never got over the hump. When the talent wasn’t there around him, he looked mediocre. Sounds a hell of a lot like Andy Dalton to me.

  15. #15
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    33,497

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantNKY View Post
    When Dusty had talent on the field he looked really good but still never got over the hump. When the talent wasn’t there around him, he looked mediocre. Sounds a hell of a lot like Andy Dalton to me.
    You aren't far off in your analogy. The difference is Dusty has accomplished a lot more in his career than Dalton. You actually have the wrong Andy. The better Andy to compare careers with Dusty is Andy Reid.

Top