Cubs at Reds 4/2 - 4/3

Page 2 of Starting pitching isnt so bad so far, but now the Cubs are in town. Need to split this series. Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 56 comments | 1256 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Who are those two?
    Alex Blandino and Brandon Dixon. Both tore it up in the spring. For some unknown reason, Pennington, who was awful all spring made the team over either of them.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    29,372

    I know Dixon had a fantastic spring at the plate. How are Dixon and/or Blandino defensively at shortstop?

  3. #18
    UKMustangFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    No time to enjoy #4, It's on the path to #5...
    Posts
    62,737

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I know Dixon had a fantastic spring at the plate. How are Dixon and/or Blandino defensively at shortstop?
    Neither are spectacular there, but they'd almost never need to be there with Gosselin on the roster. Gosselin and Pennington are both good defensively, but bring almost nothing at the plate. Dixon and Blandino are solid defensively, but their tickets are their bat. Both can play a wider array of positions as well.

    At the end of the day, we're talking about the 25th spot on the roster, so it doesn't really matter, it just limits the flexibility IMO having both Gosselin and Pennington.

  4. #19
    AverageJoesGym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?
    Posts
    16,080

    Quote Originally Posted by UKMustangFan View Post
    Neither are spectacular there, but they'd almost never need to be there with Gosselin on the roster. Gosselin and Pennington are both good defensively, but bring almost nothing at the plate. Dixon and Blandino are solid defensively, but their tickets are their bat. Both can play a wider array of positions as well.

    At the end of the day, we're talking about the 25th spot on the roster, so it doesn't really matter, it just limits the flexibility IMO having both Gosselin and Pennington.
    Blandino is okay defensively at 2B or 3B. He's horrible at SS and wouldn't need right be there except in an emergency. That said, he's had an excellent OBP in the minors and would be ideal for that 2nd utility role.

  5. #20
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,582

    It didn't look good in the first, with a walk and HBP, but Mahle rebounds to strike the next two out. Scoreless after the first half-inning. That's a first this year, isn't it?

  6. #21
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,008

    Bottom again strikes out looking with two on and none out. Hard to get an RBI if you don't swing. Suarez grounds into a double play with the bases loaded. Like several years past, Reds are terrible in execution situational hitting.

  7. #22
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    6,582

    Winker strikes out to end bottom of 2nd, leaving runners on 2nd and 3rd.

  8. #23
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,008

    Two on and one out and at least Votto flys out this time and Scooter grounds out. Reds up 1-0. Maile looking great.

  9. #24
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,008

    Hamilton up with runners on second and third with one out and grounds to the mound for no run scoring. Gosselin pinch hit and Strikes Out. Does anybody wonder why the Reds can't win a game?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,238

    Reds win!

  11. #26
    Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 01
    Location
    Extreme Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    8,042

    Did anyone catch the TV stint early in the game with Sam LeCure (sp)?

    He is going to do some radio and I think, TV, this year???

    I thought they were downsizing when they ousted Kelch, or maybe just downsizing the payroll.

    Isn't this the same guy who blasted the Reds for poor treatment last fall????

  12. #27
    plantmanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 08
    Location
    In the Garden
    Posts
    19,368

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Did anyone catch the TV stint early in the game with Sam LeCure (sp)?

    He is going to do some radio and I think, TV, this year???

    I thought they were downsizing when they ousted Kelch, or maybe just downsizing the payroll.

    Isn't this the same guy who blasted the Reds for poor treatment last fall????
    Yes and they are bring back Mr. Danny "Middle Finger" Graves to do the same.

    Like I said before, this town seems to idolize its buttclowns.

  13. #28
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,568

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    Still playing Hamilton. Amazing. That guy needs to be a late inning replacement or pinch runner and play maybe 2 times a week.
    He’s an above average player with his defense alone basically. As long as he’s not hitting leadoff I’m ok with it.

  14. #29
    HammerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Location
    "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure." - Napoleon Hill
    Posts
    71,568

    Really good stuff from Mahle today.

  15. #30
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    8,008

    Yes, Maile was really good today. Limited walks so maybe his light has come on and he will be great.

Top