A look ahead to the 2020 Cincinnati Reds

  1. #1
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,511

    A look ahead to the 2020 Cincinnati Reds

    I really hope the Reds resign Iglesias and they have a middle infield of Iglesias and Galvis next year. I think this may be one of the most interesting off seasons in recent years. What are the plans for Winker and VanMeter going forward? I believe CF and RF are set for the next several years with Senzel and Aquino. Do they let Igesias walk and play Galvis at SS, and give the 2nd base job to VanMeter? Do they see what the market is for Winker? The top 3 of the rotation is set with Castillo, Gray and Bauer. Do they try to dip into the free agent market and sign another pitcher since DeSclafani and Mahle are too inconsistent? How do they improve the bullpen? I think this team is so close, but still lots of questions for next year.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,592

    I think there is an interesting question about Wood's future with the team.

  3. #3
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,592

    Are we ready to annoint Aquino the starting RF 2020. He's obviously going to fall off some in the next month and a half. What if he drastically falls off?

  4. #4
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    7,696

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Are we ready to annoint Aquino the starting RF 2020. He's obviously going to fall off some in the next month and a half. What if he drastically falls off?
    I'm sure some are, but not me. I can't help of think of Pedro Cerano when I watch Aquino...just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for pitchers to figure him out. I hope I'm wrong, but Scott Schebler is too fresh in the memory.

  5. #5
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,511

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    Are we ready to annoint Aquino the starting RF 2020. He's obviously going to fall off some in the next month and a half. What if he drastically falls off?
    I already have. I haven't see anyone in the organization with more raw talent than he has.

  6. #6
    MJAlltheWay24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Alexandria, KY
    Posts
    53,592

    Quote Originally Posted by CincySportsFan View Post
    I'm sure some are, but not me. I can't help of think of Pedro Cerano when I watch Aquino...just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for pitchers to figure him out. I hope I'm wrong, but Scott Schebler is too fresh in the memory.
    I've heard that comparison quite a bit down at GABP, Cerrano that is.

  7. #7
    nkypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 09
    Location
    Taylor Mill, KY
    Posts
    7,574

    Quote Originally Posted by MJAlltheWay24 View Post
    I've heard that comparison quite a bit down at GABP, Cerrano that is.
    Pedro couldn't hit the breaking ball (until the end of the movie, of course). Aquino, with his open stance and willing to do hitting drills between games, has a decent approach to seeing and hitting for power to both left and right.

  8. #8
    The Scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 01
    Location
    Somewhere between Possum Trot and Black Gnat
    Posts
    30,560

    They should be a wild card team at worst in 2020. I'm not sure Bell is the answer as manager, but you never know when someone is going to fall in your lap. The Cubs were content with Renteria managing their young talent until Maddon came available. Would someone like Joe Girardi, Tony Pena, or Sandy Alomar Jr. be able to take them to the next level with their young talent?

  9. #9
    LRCW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 02
    Location
    In God's hands
    Posts
    56,511

    Quote Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
    They should be a wild card team at worst in 2020. I'm not sure Bell is the answer as manager, but you never know when someone is going to fall in your lap. The Cubs were content with Renteria managing their young talent until Maddon came available. Would someone like Joe Girardi, Tony Pena, or Sandy Alomar Jr. be able to take them to the next level with their young talent?

    I'm still in the evaluating phase for Bell. There are parts of his managing style that I love, such as his willingness to fight for his players. I think the players love that and in return they will fight and play hard for him. I didn't like how he has manged the pitching staff at the beginning of the year, but I think he has improved in that area as the season has gone along. I don't like the fact that he hasn't given Winker a chance at all to show what he can do against LF pitching.

Top