State Tournament

Page 3 of Does anyone have a realistic shot of beating Assumption? I saw where Mercy has won a couple sets against them but no match wins.... 37 comments | 2933 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,266

    Mercy wins second set 25-22.
    Advertisement

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,266

    AHS wins third set 25-15, leads 2-1.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 04
    Posts
    10,266

    Assumption wins 4th set 25-13 to win the state championship.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by rjal View Post
    Good teams getting left out happens all the time up here in the ninth region. Should Notre Dame be left out of the state vball and soccer tournament? I would hazard to guess they are top 16 in both. Thatís why there are regional tournaments.
    Couldnít agree with you more, 9th Region is a perfect example. No, I donít think they should have been left out. And Iím not suggesting we eliminate Regional tournaments. But wouldnít it be great if we had a process that give regional tournament winners the bid that they absolutely deserve, but also include the best teams in the state that happen to be in ridiculously competitive regions?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 17
    Posts
    121

    Quote Originally Posted by vbtalk View Post
    …. but also include the best teams in the state that happen to be in ridiculously competitive regions?
    Who gets to decide what teams are in and what teams are out? It "sounds" like a good idea until you have to actually make it work. This the college football system, where a committee decides who gets in. Or college basketball for that matter. You see the controversy ever year with those models. plenty of hurt feelings because their team got left out. All you would do is move the disgruntleness to a different group of people - not actually solve the problem.

    For what it's worth, that is why Districts get both the winner and runner-up to advance. Too early to knock out a good team paired with another good team in the same district, but at some point (regionals) you have to beat the teams you play.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEdge View Post
    Who gets to decide what teams are in and what teams are out? It "sounds" like a good idea until you have to actually make it work. This the college football system, where a committee decides who gets in. Or college basketball for that matter. You see the controversy ever year with those models. plenty of hurt feelings because their team got left out. All you would do is move the disgruntleness to a different group of people - not actually solve the problem.

    For what it's worth, that is why Districts get both the winner and runner-up to advance. Too early to knock out a good team paired with another good team in the same district, but at some point (regionals) you have to beat the teams you play.
    Again, I agree with a lot of what you’ve said. But I’ve never said we could have a “perfect” system, only that there is a much better way. I think we should all agree that moving the disgruntledness to the #20 team is far better than leaving it with the #3 team. Coaches can vote on the at large teams. I think by and large the coaches would get it right a lot more often than not. If we took 8 at large teams, (for the sake of this conversation we’ll use MaxPreps rankings), the “first four out” would all have either head to head losses to at least one of the 8 at large teams, or would have losses to common opponents that one of the 8 at large teams beat. Is it perfect? Probably not, I’m sure we can find some flaws. Is it BETTER than what we currently have? Absolutely! I’m not saying we eliminate the current system.... just add to it. 16 Region winners get automatic bids, and add 8 at large teams, then seed them 1-24. It’s really pretty easy.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 18
    Posts
    36

    Really great conversation about the state tournament in volleyball. I waited to way in on the conversation until everybody made their statement. I could not agree more with vbtalk. The current format leaves far too many deserving teams out of the tournament. Notre Dame Academy, Sacred Heart Academy, Henry Clay, Dixie Heights, Cooper, and Ryle High School come to mind this year that could easily make the 8 at large teams. The 24 teams should be seeded. The only problem with this is the logistics of it. It would most likely require an extra day for the tournament if the final day is for the championship game only. This tournament needs to be changed or tweaked a little bit to make it more entertaining. 13 out of the 15 matches were decided 3 games to 0 in this years tournament. There was not a single five set match in this years tournament. There needs to be more competitive matches and the only way to do this is have more competitive teams in the tournament.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Feb 18
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep state View Post
    Really great conversation about the state tournament in volleyball. I waited to way in on the conversation until everybody made their statement. I could not agree more with vbtalk. The current format leaves far too many deserving teams out of the tournament. Notre Dame Academy, Sacred Heart Academy, Henry Clay, Dixie Heights, Cooper, and Ryle High School come to mind this year that could easily make the 8 at large teams. The 24 teams should be seeded. The only problem with this is the logistics of it. It would most likely require an extra day for the tournament if the final day is for the championship game only. This tournament needs to be changed or tweaked a little bit to make it more entertaining. 13 out of the 15 matches were decided 3 games to 0 in this years tournament. There was not a single five set match in this years tournament. There needs to be more competitive matches and the only way to do this is have more competitive teams in the tournament.
    Logistics is a major concern. We can’t change it to the point where families have to travel more than they already are, or the athletes are missing more school. My other concern is that every match should stay as a best of 5 contest, rather than having to change the pool play round to best of 3. Those two concerns are why I landed on 8 at large teams, and 24 total. 24 teams get seeds into eight pools of three teams each. Friday, you play the other two teams in your pool. 3rd place team in each pool advances to Bronze bracket played on Saturday and Sunday. Those teams play 5 matches, and no more than 10 sets on a single day.
    1st and 2nd place teams from each pool go to Saturday morning challenge match. 1st place from pool 1 plays 2nd place from pool 8, P2 1st play P7 2nd, and so on. Winners of challenge matches go to Championship bracket, losers of challenge match go to Silver bracket. First round of bracket play Saturday afternoon. Semi Finals and Finals of brackets play on Sunday. Nobody plays more than 6 matches, and no more than 10 sets on a single day.

Top