Many fine athletes are participating in Friday's Class 1A State Track Meet at UK. The young ladies featured here are worth following. (All ranking #'s are for Class 1A, unless noted):
Kimberly Spritzky, St. Henry District
'17 (Dayton commit): Pole Vault, 100m Hurdles, Long Jump. Multi-discipline performer key for the #2 Crusaders.
* Pole Vault: Defending state champion; PB this year at 12-6 is #3 KY all time, #1 class 1A all time, and betters the state meet record by 6 in. Consistently vaulting over 12-0 all year.
* #2 in 100m hurdles, #5 in the long jump.
Ann Taylor, Murray
'17: 100m, 200m, 400m, Sprint Relays. Battling for sprint supremacy in her final season, peaking with 3 personal bests at last week's regional. Will be a major points scorer for the #1 Tigers.
* Fastest 1A state qualifier in all three individual sprints. Could be a member of either of Murray's #1 4 x 100m, or 4 x 200m teams as her 4th event.
* Three time state champion as a member of Murray's 2015 and 2016 sprint relay teams.
Kendall Schuler, Bishop Brossart
'17: 800m, 1600m, 4 x 800m Relay. Distance ace should play a part in amassing most of the #5 ranked Mustangs' points.
* # 1 at 800m and #4 at 1600m. Member of #1 4 x 800m relay. Will not be competing in perhaps her best event, the 3200m. Her fourth event might be as part of Brossart's #4 4 x 400m relay.
Sarah McDowell, Murray
'17: Discus Throw, Shot Put.
* Two-time defending state champ in the discus, and is #1 again this season with a toss of 121-4 (#2 KY). Class 1A record within reach. Look for her to score points in the shot, #5 as well.
Grace Campbell, Murray
'17: High Jump, Triple Jump, Long Jump.
* Two-time defending state champ high jumper is ranked #1 again this year. Also the defending triple jump champ, #9 this year; #8 in the long jump, an event she placed second in at state last year.
* #4 Tigers are the only team to have top 3 rankings in all four relays.
Alexandra Lawson, Ft. Knox
'19: 100m, 200m, 100m Hurdles, 300m Hurdles.
* Ran #1 times in all four events early in the season for # 3 Lady Eagles. Qualified well in all four at regional. Serious threat to both Spritzky and Taylor. Class 1A records in the 100 and 200 possible if early season marks are a gauge (and were auto-timed and wind-legal).
Abby Jones, Newport Central Catholic
, '21: 1600m, 3200m.
* Young Thoroughbred is #1 at 1600m; #2 at 3200m, and is the fastest qualifier in both events.