These are just a few of the outstanding performers who will compete Saturday in Lexington. (All ranking #'s are for Class 1A, unless noted.)
Keeton Thornsberry, Holy Cross (Lou.),
'19: 800m, 1600m, 3200m.
* Defending champion at 3200m with #1 (KY #6) time this year. 1600m #1 (KY #3), and will battle last year's champion, #2 Dedrick Troxell, of Green Co. Qualified in the 800m, and might attempt to "triple" for the Cougars.
* 2016 State 1A Cross Country champion.
Luke Lawson, Walton Verona,
'18: 110m Hurdles, 300m Hurdles, 4x400m Relay(?).
* Big improvement in times from 2016. 110 m Hurdles #1 (#5 KY); #1 300m Hurdles #1 (#5 KY). Possible leg on the Bearcat 4x400 relay team.
Derrick Barnes, Holy Cross (Cov.),
'18 (Signed with Purdue to play football)
: Shot Put, Discus.
* 3rd last year in the Shot Put; 2017 SP #1 (#2 KY). Began throwing the Discus this year and is a threat to score points. Placed 6th in the 100m at the Region 4 meet for the Indians.
Trent Wrobleski, Newport Central Catholic,
'17: 110m Hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, 4x100m or 4x400m relays(?).
* It's not always about the #1 rankings. Trent is appearing in his 3rd state meet, and will score solid points for the Thoroughbreds, with projected top 3 finishes in his individual events.
* 2016 Bluegrasspreps.com All-state Football Team: Punter
Fort Knox, Relays:
#1 4x100m, #1 4x200m, #4 4x400m.
* Team favorite Eagles counting on points in the sprints and these relays, led by seniors Nate Callison and Craig Perches.
Logan Blaut, St. Henry District,
'19: Pole Vault #1 (#10 KY).
Quorterrius Cherry, Mayfield,
'19: 100m #3; 4x100 Relay #2; 4x200 Relay #3.
Conner Hayes, Lexington Christian,
'21: 3200m #4.