Region 4 (NKY) Swim Championships to be held at Silverlake

Page 2 of Originally Posted by Clyde I'm aware of the dominance of both CCH and NDA. I was curious if 200+ point margin is considered a "blowout?" Prob... 29 comments | 3527 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,187

    Region 4:

    Boys: Cov. Cath - champ, Dixie - runner-up
    Girls: NDA - champ, Highlands - runner-up

    Combined: Highlands - champ, Beechwood - runner-up

    Male Swimmer of Meet: Max Williamson, Cov Cath
    Female Swimmer of Meet: Mackinzie Margroum, NDA (Mackinzie is great, but a little surprised Coopers Sharli Brady didn't get this, but I believe it is based upon Power Points).
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    27,649

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I saw a tweet that said CCH won by over 200 points.

    I will assume that's sort of a blowout but I really have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Region 4:

    Boys: Cov. Cath - champ, Dixie - runner-up
    Girls: NDA - champ, Highlands - runner-up

    Combined: Highlands - champ, Beechwood - runner-up

    Male Swimmer of Meet: Max Williamson, Cov Cath
    Female Swimmer of Meet: Mackinzie Margroum, NDA (Mackinzie is great, but a little surprised Coopers Sharli Brady didn't get this, but I believe it is based upon Power Points).
    CCH and NDA win the regional swimming every year. I think it may have been the 80's the last time NDA lost. I believe CCH may have been upset once in the last 30 years. All the other co-ed schools hope to win the combined title.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Posts
    1,355

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I saw a tweet that said CCH won by over 200 points.

    I will assume that's sort of a blowout but I really have no clue.
    CCH dominates swimming just about every year. The combination of proximity to Silverlake and not having a wrestling program in a sport where depth is rewarded makes them near unbeatable. In fact, just about all of the schools within a 7 mile radius of Silverlake dominate swimming. The only exception is Ryle who is very competitivw.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    May 08
    Posts
    91,237

    Quote Originally Posted by jolmstead View Post
    CCH dominates swimming just about every year. The combination of proximity to Silverlake and not having a wrestling program in a sport where depth is rewarded makes them near unbeatable. In fact, just about all of the schools within a 7 mile radius of Silverlake dominate swimming. The only exception is Ryle who is very competitivw.
    I'm aware of the dominance of both CCH and NDA. I was curious if 200+ point margin is considered a "blowout?"

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Posts
    1,355

    [QUOTE=Clyde;4593386]I'm aware of the dominance of both CCH and NDA. I was curious if 200+ point margin is considered a "blowout?"[/QUOTE

    For sure. CCH typically has 3 of the top 5 finishers in the individual events.

  6. #21
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,187

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I'm aware of the dominance of both CCH and NDA. I was curious if 200+ point margin is considered a "blowout?"
    Probably would be; however, I would say that in general Dixie was a stronger second than the usual 2nd place boys team. Each team is permitted to enter four athletes in each event and the top 16 in each event score. Obviously both Cov. Cath and NDA have some of the best swimmers in the region so they either win or place several swimmers near there top in every event including winning every relay (relays score double points). However they also score nearly every kid they enter so they not only win based upon quality at the top but also on better depth. In the same way they dominate NKy, it is the same way they can't win state, because at state Sacred Heart and to a lesser extent Manuel on the girls side and St. X on the boys side win with generally a little more domination at the top (a little / not too much), but also with better depth. It was hard for me to imagine until I saw it play out.

    Proximity to Silverlake means nothing. The number of club swimmers means everything. With very few exceptions (50 Free and 100 Free might be it) if you don't swim club you would have a very hard time cracking he top 10 on either the boys or girls side. The only one who comes to mind is Stephen Ohara from Beechwood and he is phenomal talent. However I believe even Stephen swam club growing up.

  7. #22
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,187

    After thinking about this a bit more, I am probably giving Dixie a little too much praise. They had a very good team but they weren't better than Beechwoods boys from 2 and 3 years ago when Beecwood had Ewbanks, Colthorp, Micael Miller, both Oharas, etc, Beechwood was probably better or at least equal to Cov Cath in terms of top talent but lost on depth. Those regional scores were much closer (less than 50 points - I looked it up). Those Beechwood boys could beat Cov Cath in relays. Dixie this year could not.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 11
    Posts
    1,355

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Probably would be; however, I would say that in general Dixie was a stronger second than the usual 2nd place boys team. Each team is permitted to enter four athletes in each event and the top 16 in each event score. Obviously both Cov. Cath and NDA have some of the best swimmers in the region so they either win or place several swimmers near there top in every event including winning every relay (relays score double points). However they also score nearly every kid they enter so they not only win based upon quality at the top but also on better depth. In the same way they dominate NKy, it is the same way they can't win state, because at state Sacred Heart and to a lesser extent Manuel on the girls side and St. X on the boys side win with generally a little more domination at the top (a little / not too much), but also with better depth. It was hard for me to imagine until I saw it play out.

    Proximity to Silverlake means nothing. The number of club swimmers means everything. With very few exceptions (50 Free and 100 Free might be it) if you don't swim club you would have a very hard time cracking he top 10 on either the boys or girls side. The only one who comes to mind is Stephen Ohara from Beechwood and he is phenomal talent. However I believe even Stephen swam club growing up.
    And there is no club swimming without a facility to practice in! Try putting some push pins on a map and say again! Clearly proximity to Silverlake or NKU facilitates club swimming!

  9. #24
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,187

    Quote Originally Posted by jolmstead View Post
    And there is no club swimming without a facility to practice in! Try putting some push pins on a map and say again! Clearly proximity to Silverlake or NKU facilitates club swimming!
    Obviously you need a pool to be good. If that is your point, thanks for clearing that up.

    But again proximity to Silverlake (or any pool means little). If that were the case Scott's team would be much better (on both sides) and Dixie's girls as well since they can walk to Silverlake. It is all about club swimming.

  10. #25
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    15,605

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbird View Post
    Obviously you need a pool to be good. If that is your point, thanks for clearing that up.

    But again proximity to Silverlake (or any pool means little). If that were the case Scott's team would be much better (on both sides) and Dixie's girls as well since they can walk to Silverlake. It is all about club swimming.
    Agreed on club swimming, not location. St Henry and Lloyd, both in Erlanger with Silverlake, do not have the swimmers like other schools.

  11. #26
    Voice of Reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 08
    Location
    N. KY.
    Posts
    27,649

    Here are the complete finals results from Region 4:

    http://khsaa.org/swimming/2013/13regionfourresults.pdf

    If I did the numbers right, the team combined championship standings were:

    1. Highlands
    2. Beechwood
    3. Dixie Heights

    Congratulations to those swimmers and their schools!

  12. #27
    hoops5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 10
    Posts
    15,605

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Here are the complete finals results from Region 4:

    http://khsaa.org/swimming/2013/13regionfourresults.pdf

    If I did the numbers right, the team combined championship standings were:

    1. Highlands
    2. Beechwood
    3. Dixie Heights

    Congratulations to those swimmers and their schools!
    Thanks for posting that, VOR!

  13. #28

    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    65

    What time are Region finals sat??

  14. #29
    Oldbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 01
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    24,187

    Quote Originally Posted by rebels1216 View Post
    What time are Region finals sat??
    5:40 start time I believe.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    65

    Thank you very much

Top