Ties......Yawn

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    5,157

    Ties......Yawn

    Ryle Girls are 2-1-5 and 4 of those ties were 0-0.

    At what point do ties start to wear on a team and their fans?
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,342

    I will be nice and not comment on this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Location
    NKY
    Posts
    3,444

    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    I will be nice and not comment on this.
    That's no way to be.... c'mon, let it out, you'll feel better afterwards.

  4. #4
    AllenR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    1,473

    I dislike it only SLIGHTLY less than ending it on penalty kicks.
    Hate the penalty kick OT.

    But, playing more minutes in a 0-0 game would be brutal as well.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Posts
    41

    I know this was meant in jest (at least partially) but the schedule Ryle has played so far has been ridiculous. Check out the goals allowed of the opponents in all those 0-0 games.

    If Ryle doesn't roll through their district I will be surprised.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 06
    Posts
    1,812

    Ties are part of the game so in general I have no issue with them. I do have an issue if one team makes little to no effort to play offense and simply packs the back to win a 0-0 tie. And no, I am not singling out any team with this. I've yet to see a game this season, but I have seen it done in the past.

  7. #7
    TAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    14,342

    Name:  Seriously-bitten-tongue.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  15.6 KB

    LOL

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    228

    Quote Originally Posted by WhoozYoDaddy View Post
    Ties are part of the game so in general I have no issue with them. I do have an issue if one team makes little to no effort to play offense and simply packs the back to win a 0-0 tie. And no, I am not singling out any team with this. I've yet to see a game this season, but I have seen it done in the past.
    I would suggest you not attend most regional games then. This becomes more of a tactical tool come October. I wish I had an answer to change this but there is not one.
    For all the great things soccer is, rules are not one of their strong areas. Not to change the discussion but the new offsides rule in so bad it's ridiculous. When an offensive player is in an obvious offside position and is obviously going to become involved in the play to wait for this offsides player to actually touch the ball before the AR signals offsides is horrible.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 12
    Location
    On the Diamond and In the Stands
    Posts
    89

    Ties...

    Name:  Tie.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  10.5 KB

    Name:  England.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  11.4 KB

    COMMUNISM @Lawnboy13

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 10
    Location
    Daddy's Little Girl 3.0
    Posts
    46,260

    Ties in soccer are like having painful poop cramps and sitting on the pot for 20 minutes and nothing comes out. LOL

  11. #11
    CincySportsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 08
    Posts
    5,966

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboy13 View Post
    Soccer is like having painful poop cramps and sitting on the pot for 20 minutes and nothing comes out. LOL
    Fixed it for you.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    512

    Quote Originally Posted by that's what she said View Post
    I would suggest you not attend most regional games then. This becomes more of a tactical tool come October. I wish I had an answer to change this but there is not one.
    For all the great things soccer is, rules are not one of their strong areas. Not to change the discussion but the new offsides rule in so bad it's ridiculous. When an offensive player is in an obvious offside position and is obviously going to become involved in the play to wait for this offsides player to actually touch the ball before the AR signals offsides is horrible.
    Why? It makes it the same as all the other rules. Nothing is called until they violate the rule.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    228

    I disagree. The old way of calling offsides, the AR would raise his flag at the point (on the field) the offensive player was in the offsides position at the exact point one of his teammates played the ball. The center ref would allow the play to continue to see if the offensive player in the offsides position became or would obviously become involved in the play. All the while the AR would hold his position and if the offsides was called the restart was at the point of the AR. The offensive player in the offsides position did NOT have to touch the ball for the play to be ruled offsides.
    I'm not a ref but it has become very apparent the new rule the offensive player in the offsides position must now touch the ball before offsides is ruled. And the restart is now at the point this player touches the ball. Which in many cases is 20-30 yards past where he was in the offsides position when his teammate played the ball.
    There is also the issue, (I know this is a big issue with collegiate players where subbing is limited), the offensive must now run after the ball, maybe 20-30 yards or more even though it is very, very obvious the play will be called offsides once he touches the ball. This can happen 5-6 or many more times in a game, resulting in a lot of wasted energy. The risk of injury, why require the players to continue playing when it's obvious the play will be whistled for offsides?
    And what about this one. If the new offsides call requires the offensive player in the offsides position to actually touch the ball, is the offensive player in the offsides position that does not touch the ball but yet "distracts" or occupies the keeper still ruled offsides? If so it makes the new ruling confusing, in some situations the offensive player in the offsides position must touch the ball before being ruled offsides, but in other cases, (distracting the keeper) he is not required to touch the ball before be ruled offsides.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Posts
    5,157

    Quote Originally Posted by nkysoccerparent View Post
    I know this was meant in jest (at least partially) but the schedule Ryle has played so far has been ridiculous. Check out the goals allowed of the opponents in all those 0-0 games.

    If Ryle doesn't roll through their district I will be surprised.
    Not meant in jest. But you would be qualified to answer the question.

    How do the players feel after 5 ties and being in 4 0-0 games? Are they satisfied with a 0-0 game against a really good opponent or would they rather lose 4-3 in an exciting back and forth game? What about a tie against a team they outplayed?

    How do the coaches coach? You did not win but you did not lose. So do you try and shake things up or try to maintain?

    How do fans feel? I watched one tie in football back in the 70s and thought it felt like a loss for both teams.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    512

    Quote Originally Posted by that's what she said View Post
    I disagree. The old way of calling offsides, the AR would raise his flag at the point (on the field) the offensive player was in the offsides position at the exact point one of his teammates played the ball. The center ref would allow the play to continue to see if the offensive player in the offsides position became or would obviously become involved in the play. All the while the AR would hold his position and if the offsides was called the restart was at the point of the AR. The offensive player in the offsides position did NOT have to touch the ball for the play to be ruled offsides.
    I'm not a ref but it has become very apparent the new rule the offensive player in the offsides position must now touch the ball before offsides is ruled. And the restart is now at the point this player touches the ball. Which in many cases is 20-30 yards past where he was in the offsides position when his teammate played the ball.
    There is also the issue, (I know this is a big issue with collegiate players where subbing is limited), the offensive must now run after the ball, maybe 20-30 yards or more even though it is very, very obvious the play will be called offsides once he touches the ball. This can happen 5-6 or many more times in a game, resulting in a lot of wasted energy. The risk of injury, why require the players to continue playing when it's obvious the play will be whistled for offsides?
    And what about this one. If the new offsides call requires the offensive player in the offsides position to actually touch the ball, is the offensive player in the offsides position that does not touch the ball but yet "distracts" or occupies the keeper still ruled offsides? If so it makes the new ruling confusing, in some situations the offensive player in the offsides position must touch the ball before being ruled offsides, but in other cases, (distracting the keeper) he is not required to touch the ball before be ruled offsides.
    So under the old method, if the player didn't end up being offside then you have an AR 20-30 yards out of position.

    As far as the keeper being "distracted" causing an offside, that's not a situation where offside is called. It was actually a huge point of emphasis when I last took the ref course for youth soccer.

    Having watched enough of the MLS plays this year that clearly hasn't changed.

    The new method is by far more consistent with the rest of the rules. Nothing is signaled or indicated until the player actually does something which violates being offside. Which is how every other call in the game is.

    I get that it's a change and people are adjusting but it is most certainly a change to further consistency.

Top