Notre Dame 3 Simon Kenton 2

Page 2 of Notre Dame awarded 2 PK's down the stretch for the win. Can anyone provide any details? Advertisement 0 0 0    ... 30 comments | 2595 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Having watched the video it was pretty clearly a deliberate handling to deny a goal.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Posts
    68

    Just saw the video. Raising your hand above your head as a field player to stop a shot standing a yard in front of the goal is an automatic red. Not even a discussion, SK should have been forced to play with 10.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
    I will take back my "poor officiating " comment and go with a terrible rule. If it was seen as unintentional then you play on with no PK awarded. We all know this will upset the natives so the PK seemed to be awarded to save face to both sides. I will be honest I'm only going with what I read on here since I not a twitter person so I have not seen the video.
    Terrible rule?

  4. #19
    Smokey Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    154

    Quote Originally Posted by bothways View Post
    Terrible rule?
    I'm just going by what EasyEdge posted "It's either deemed intentional and a red card given or accidental/incidental and no card given". I'm guessing he knows the rules better than I (if indeed it is a rule) so that is why I changed my opinion. I played in the late 80's early 90's and the rules have drastically changed over the years.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
    I'm just going by what EasyEdge posted "It's either deemed intentional and a red card given or accidental/incidental and no card given". I'm guessing he knows the rules better than I (if indeed it is a rule) so that is why I changed my opinion. I played in the late 80's early 90's and the rules have drastically changed over the years.
    Ah. Well let me clarify because they werenít really correct either. Handling in and of itself is ONLY a violation when deliberate. If itís not deliberate itís nothing, not even a PK. Note that deliberate is a more complicated term than just did they mean to handle the ball. Go to any ref course and youíll see that.

    This particular card issue comes from when they handled the ball deliberately. Which in this case was a successful attempt to block a goal. At that point weíve already established it was deliberate because we have called it. So, because of that itís a red card.

    Too many people get into whether the player ďmeantĒ to do something. Thatís really not the point. Itís did they do it or not.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    10

    Could a coach have influenced whether a card was issued???

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by Foyt View Post
    Could a coach have influenced whether a card was issued???
    Based on just the video, really doubtful. Looks like the NDA coach is screaming to get the card and with how short a time it took to do the PK I doubt the SK coach really got to say anything.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    Here's James Weber's video that others have referenced.

    Twitter

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    678

    Definitely a red card but if he didn't blow the whistle so quick NDA put the rebound in the net. If he had let it play out would it still be a red card since the ball went in the net?

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    29

    I don't believe there is advantage with handling. So he couldn't let it play out.

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    678

    That would be incorrect. They are supposed to look for advantage on all calls but some are reluctant when the foul occurs in the box.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by imsays View Post
    That would be incorrect. They are supposed to look for advantage on all calls but some are reluctant when the foul occurs in the box.
    What he said. If they had played advantage the red card would be nullified. If you listen I think the whistle blows after the rebound goes in.

    While this should be done correctly this is a high stress situation and understandable to get flustered. Learn from mistakes.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    678

    Agreed tough to not blow the whistle when I'm sure everyone is yelling handling on dogso. Rarely will you see advantage played in the box.

  14. #29
    NEERFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 01
    Location
    Contest Stalwart per mcpapa
    Posts
    34,790

    Thanks for all of those educating me tonight. I know if I was in the same position, my natural instinct would be to put my hand up since it was a close range shot towards the head.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Oct 13
    Posts
    577

    Quote Originally Posted by NEERFAN View Post
    Thanks for all of those educating me tonight. I know if I was in the same position, my natural instinct would be to put my hand up since it was a close range shot towards the head.
    Are you being snarky? Do you really not think that was a handball?

Top