Who is the Leader for Miss Basketball?

  1. #1
    methodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    29

    Who is the Leader for Miss Basketball?

    Who is your leader for Miss Basketball? We are about midway through this season. Post away, I am curious what people throughout our great state of KY think.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    theguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 00
    Location
    Florence
    Posts
    147,495

    Quote Originally Posted by methodius View Post
    Who is your leader for Miss Basketball? We are about midway through this season. Post away, I am curious what people throughout our great state of KY think.
    Who are your top couple of picks?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    193

    Please keep in mind that only seniors are eligible for the award.

    KY has 5 McDonald’s All American nominees this year. I think they have to be considered. They are:

    Ashlee Harris - SHA
    Mikayla Kinnard - Eastern
    Maaliya Owens - Scott County
    Kiara Pearl - Eastern
    Savannah Wheeler - Boyd County

    I also like how Lauren Schwartz - Ryle and Ivy Turner - Danville are playing.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 18
    Posts
    59

    Emma king from Lincoln has to be the favorite if they finish like they are playing now right? Lauren Schwartz is right there. Wheeler is also there if the team finishes strong and probably the leading scorer in the state right? My guess is unless wheeler or king make a deep run then it would go to Schwartz if Ryle wins it all.

  5. #5
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Quote Originally Posted by D'ICEMAN View Post
    Please keep in mind that only seniors are eligible for the award.

    KY has 5 McDonald’s All American nominees this year. I think they have to be considered. They are:

    Ashlee Harris - SHA
    Mikayla Kinnard - Eastern
    Maaliya Owens - Scott County
    Kiara Pearl - Eastern
    Savannah Wheeler - Boyd County

    I also like how Lauren Schwartz - Ryle and Ivy Turner - Danville are playing.
    You might want to travel up to NKY. Lauren Schwartz is definitely a top 5 player. Zoie Barth at Highlands is a great player and one I've always enjoyed watching play. She definitely deserves some consideration. There are a number of good players in NKY that are deserving of consideration.

  6. #6
    BIGZIG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 04
    Location
    Ludlow, Ky
    Posts
    4,987

    Really only 2 to consider in my opinion. Savannah Wheeler or Lauren Schwartz.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 19
    Posts
    51

    More than 2 IMO.... but not much more

    Wheeler - Boyd
    Schwartz - Ryle
    Owens - Scott Co - no one really talks about her but she can do it all. Leading her team. Will be interesting.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Posts
    339

    Savannah Wheeler: Boyd County
    Emma King: Lincoln County
    Lauren Schwartz: Ryle
    Ivy Turner: Danville

  9. #9
    gold sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    55,109

    Haley Harrison of GRC is considered also.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    289

    Hayley Harrison GRC
    Lauren Schwartz Ryle
    Emma King Lincoln County

    My opinion is that Wheeler is too one dimensional. Great shooter but not an all around player like these others. I think we give too much weight to points and not enough to rebounds, other stats and college potential level. Schwartz and King have a higher level of college interest than Wheeler and Harrison.

  11. #11
    methodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    29

    All the names are intriguing to say the least. But Miss Basketball is not about college potential, interest, or where they are going to college. These are the stats posted on KHSAA website. These kids all play on good teams so that shouldn't play much of a factor either. If there are more contenders please list them I would love to compare their seasons!

    Ashlee Harris- SHA 14.4 PPG and 3.1 rebounds
    Mikayla Kinnard - Eastern 15.1 PPG 9.8 Rebounds
    Savannah Wheeler - Boyd County 31 PPG 7.2 Rebounds
    Emma King- Lincoln County 17.5 PPG 7.4 Rebounds
    Maaliya Owens - Scott County 20.4 PPG 5.4 Rebounds
    Lauren Schwartz- Ryle 19.1 PPG and 7 Rebounds
    Hayley Harrison- GRC 14.6 PPG 4.8 Rebounds
    Kiara Pearl - Eastern 18.6 PPG 5.5 Rebounds

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    289

    Quote Originally Posted by methodius View Post
    All the names are intriguing to say the least. But Miss Basketball is not about college potential, interest, or where they are going to college. These are the stats posted on KHSAA website. These kids all play on good teams so that shouldn't play much of a factor either. If there are more contenders please list them I would love to compare their seasons!

    Ashlee Harris- SHA 14.4 PPG and 3.1 rebounds
    Mikayla Kinnard - Eastern 15.1 PPG 9.8 Rebounds
    Savannah Wheeler - Boyd County 31 PPG 7.2 Rebounds
    Emma King- Lincoln County 17.5 PPG 7.4 Rebounds
    Maaliya Owens - Scott County 20.4 PPG 5.4 Rebounds
    Lauren Schwartz- Ryle 19.1 PPG and 7 Rebounds
    Hayley Harrison- GRC 14.6 PPG 4.8 Rebounds
    Kiara Pearl - Eastern 18.6 PPG 5.5 Rebounds
    Disagree, but would love to know if anyone who runs the award lists a way to discern. If it’s an award for the “best senior female basketball player in Kentucky” then college interest is a big factor.

    According to your logic Seygan Robbins would not even be in the top 5 this year. 14 ppg, 2.8 rpg last year. Yet she won because she was the best player. Same with Boley over Creech before that.

    If you think Kentucky coaches who are paid a million dollars a year to figure out through intense scrutiny are LESS qualified than the average Joe fan to determine who is a better basketball player than your crazy. Is Kentucky mistaken to go after King over Wheeler in your opinion? You feel you’ve watched those two play enough basketball (in the summer of course because school ball is a different playing field) to know more than Mitchell and his crew know?

    in addition Boyd County’s schedule seems weak relative to the other schools. You take out the Lexington tourney and the good West Virginia team and they have a very easy schedule.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 17
    Posts
    84

    Have to throw Cameron Browning- Male, Jasmine Elder-Butler and Nila Blackford - Manual in the mix! All three play incredibly tough schedules, had multiple D1 offers and will play at a D1 school next season. All also are having great seasons!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    175

    Quote Originally Posted by hydraman View Post
    Disagree, but would love to know if anyone who runs the award lists a way to discern. If it’s an award for the “best senior female basketball player in Kentucky” then college interest is a big factor.

    According to your logic Seygan Robbins would not even be in the top 5 this year. 14 ppg, 2.8 rpg last year. Yet she won because she was the best player. Same with Boley over Creech before that.

    If you think Kentucky coaches who are paid a million dollars a year to figure out through intense scrutiny are LESS qualified than the average Joe fan to determine who is a better basketball player than your crazy. Is Kentucky mistaken to go after King over Wheeler in your opinion? You feel you’ve watched those two play enough basketball (in the summer of course because school ball is a different playing field) to know more than Mitchell and his crew know?

    in addition Boyd County’s schedule seems weak relative to the other schools. You take out the Lexington tourney and the good West Virginia team and they have a very easy schedule.
    In watching both King and Wheeler play to me the only advantage King has on Wheeler is height. Other than that Wheeler looks like a better player.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 15
    Posts
    289

    Quote Originally Posted by UKFan22 View Post
    In watching both King and Wheeler play to me the only advantage King has on Wheeler is height. Other than that Wheeler looks like a better player.
    Well that says it. You do believe your better to judge than the numerous D1 coaching staffs who disagree with you.

    They livelihoods depend on getting it right, but you’ve seen them play so let’s go with your thoughts.

    Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Top