Stats and Questions

Page 2 of I have been scouring the internet for information on teams and players through out KY this season and have yet to find any news outlet, BGpreper or eve... 26 comments | 1981 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    2,054

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    The biggest investment the state of kentucky needs to make is introducing a shot clock.
    Never, there's too many players taking low percentage shots from the arch as it is. If you're offensive intent for the season is the quick 3, then the coach needs them shooting all year to be successful and it's still not a high percentage shot. I'm still a fan of the old fashioned 3 point play, and learning their coach's philosophy and game plans. A well executed finessed play, with a talented point guard, is a joy to see in today's "Shoot the three" mentality. Yes, it is the coach's job to impress to each player how important their role is to the team's success.High School Basketball doesn't need a shot clock.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 09
    Location
    It's not where I live, It's what I live for
    Posts
    16,369

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Anderson View Post
    You have hit a nerve with me! The reason the game is so ugly these days is because it is all about scoring. And the only way to score is to jack up a lot of shots. And coaches don't seem to care if the shots are good or bad.
    Not at some schools!! But that style of play is considered boring???

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Never, there's too many players taking low percentage shots from the arch as it is. If you're offensive intent for the season is the quick 3, then the coach needs them shooting all year to be successful and it's still not a high percentage shot. I'm still a fan of the old fashioned 3 point play, and learning their coach's philosophy and game plans. A well executed finessed play, with a talented point guard, is a joy to see in today's "Shoot the three" mentality. Yes, it is the coach's job to impress to each player how important their role is to the team's success.High School Basketball doesn't need a shot clock.
    Having a shot clock doesn't force a team to take a bad shot/quick 3.

    The worst is watching a team play great defense for an entire minute and get nothing out of it. Or watch a team stand at half court with the ball on their hip. Having a shot clock makes the game better.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 15
    Posts
    2,054

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    Having a shot clock doesn't force a team to take a bad shot/quick 3.

    The worst is watching a team play great defense for an entire minute and get nothing out of it. Or watch a team stand at half court with the ball on their hip. Having a shot clock makes the game better.
    Having a shot clock will cause a lot of teams to take a bad percentage shot instead of allowing the play to develop and take the better shot. Sorry, but I think the 3 point shot hurt the game to a certain degree and a shot clock will deteriorate it into a street game. You say you don't like watching a team play great defense, while the other plays stall ball. If that defense is so great, they will cause turnovers anyway and get the ball back. Well what about the team that lives by the three, a boring game is watching that team have a bad night. How would you implement the clock and what would the extra cost be? How will you find extra money at smaller schools to have the extra person to do this, when budgets are being cut now? There's a lot more to the game than shooting, although I know the idea of the game is who makes the most points at the end of the day.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsaholic Mamaw View Post
    Having a shot clock will cause a lot of teams to take a bad percentage shot instead of allowing the play to develop and take the better shot. Sorry, but I think the 3 point shot hurt the game to a certain degree and a shot clock will deteriorate it into a street game. You say you don't like watching a team play great defense, while the other plays stall ball. If that defense is so great, they will cause turnovers anyway and get the ball back. Well what about the team that lives by the three, a boring game is watching that team have a bad night. How would you implement the clock and what would the extra cost be? How will you find extra money at smaller schools to have the extra person to do this, when budgets are being cut now? There's a lot more to the game than shooting, although I know the idea of the game is who makes the most points at the end of the day.
    Implementation is simple. KHSAA says that all postseason games will be played on a floor with a shot clock if possible (district/region/state). If your gym does not have one then you will be ineligible to host postseason games. If only one team in a 4 team district has a shot clock, they host every year (until another team adds it). You can play regular season games however you want, but all postseason games will be played with a shot clock. I guarantee that all these schools would then come up with the funding.

    Most games would go virtually unaffected by a shot clock. But it would prevent teams from playing stall ball in the 1st half and reward teams for playing good sound defense. Considering you think the game was negatively effected by the 3 point line, I probably won't be able to convince you a shot clock is going to make the game better though. Probably easier to just agree to disagree.

  6. #21
    Jesse James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 02
    Posts
    10,228

    When our AAU team went to the EYBL league we thought the shot clock would make us more rushed initially. What we found was we were never close to running out of clock 95% of the time. The players because of the clock was more aware to get a good shot also. It also forces them to be more aware of time and game situations, how important it is to really sit down and play defense when they know that clock is under 10 and not foul and bail the other team out. It also makes coaches better. You have to coach the game different to some extent. I am a big supporter of a shot clock now as to where a few years ago I wasn't.

  7. #22
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,176

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    Implementation is simple. KHSAA says that all postseason games will be played on a floor with a shot clock if possible (district/region/state). If your gym does not have one then you will be ineligible to host postseason games. If only one team in a 4 team district has a shot clock, they host every year (until another team adds it). You can play regular season games however you want, but all postseason games will be played with a shot clock. I guarantee that all these schools would then come up with the funding.

    Most games would go virtually unaffected by a shot clock. But it would prevent teams from playing stall ball in the 1st half and reward teams for playing good sound defense. Considering you think the game was negatively effected by the 3 point line, I probably won't be able to convince you a shot clock is going to make the game better though. Probably easier to just agree to disagree.
    Where are all these games occurring where all this stall-ball is being played? Because I just don't see it. If you're strictly looking at low scores and saying, "they must've taken the air out of the ball," you're not getting a total picture. The overwhelming majority of games I see that are low-scoring have zero to do with pace of play and everything to do with poor shooting/execution.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Where are all these games occurring where all this stall-ball is being played? Because I just don't see it. If you're strictly looking at low scores and saying, "they must've taken the air out of the ball," you're not getting a total picture. The overwhelming majority of games I see that are low-scoring have zero to do with pace of play and everything to do with poor shooting/execution.
    The implementation of a shot clock would be benifical for defense, not offense. Not having a shot clock favors the teams with the most athletes...those teams that can force you to extend your defense outside the quarter court. I have seen several teams just refuse to play against quarter court man/zone because they had a lead and wanted to force a team to come out and challenge them in the half court.

    The game of basketball...and in particular girls basketball...has evolved quite a bit over the last 10 or so years. Basketball is better with a shot clock. That's why they use one in college and professional basketball. I get that argument that "it would be expensive" to implement, but the game has evolved and IS Better with a shot clock.

  9. #24
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,176

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    The implementation of a shot clock would be benifical for defense, not offense. Not having a shot clock favors the teams with the most athletes...those teams that can force you to extend your defense outside the quarter court. I have seen several teams just refuse to play against quarter court man/zone because they had a lead and wanted to force a team to come out and challenge them in the half court.

    The game of basketball...and in particular girls basketball...has evolved quite a bit over the last 10 or so years. Basketball is better with a shot clock. That's why they use one in college and professional basketball. I get that argument that "it would be expensive" to implement, but the game has evolved and IS Better with a shot clock.
    Very rarely do I see this in the bold. At the most I see teams burn off the final minute before half or end game, but not that often. Defenses don't need any extra help when most teams struggle to shoot better than 35 percent.

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Very rarely do I see this in the bold. At the most I see teams burn off the final minute before half or end game, but not that often. Defenses don't need any extra help when most teams struggle to shoot better than 35 percent.
    I have seen it numerous times this year.

    Whether you have seen it once or see it 100 times, it shouldn't be a part of the game.

  11. #26
    Jim Schue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 03
    Location
    Let me tell you something, brother!!!!
    Posts
    54,176

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    I have seen it numerous times this year.

    Whether you have seen it once or see it 100 times, it shouldn't be a part of the game.
    Great. I can't wait to watch girls games where both teams shoot 26 percent and combine for 43 turnovers.

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schue View Post
    Great. I can't wait to watch girls games where both teams shoot 26 percent and combine for 43 turnovers.
    You think not having a shot clock would help this? If your team is bad enough to commit 25 turnovers you probably aren't good enough to hold the ball and run offense for more then 30 seconds anyway.

Top