Sacred Heart 83 Mercer County 48

Page 2 of Final of LIT Championship game... 37 comments | 3862 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    109

    At risk of taking anything away from the TOTAL performance by SHA -- which is not my intent -- the fact this was Mercer's 4th game in 3 days was certainly some factor in this result. (Had forgotten Mercer played Franklin Thurs before the Butler game Fri).

    Kinda doubt SHA would have been as smooth had they have played Butler and then Male the prior 2 games. Would SHA have lost? Who knows -- probably not. Would it have been the one sided game like last nite -- doubtful.

    Nobody ever likes to hear 'I told ya so' ... but congrats to SHA in JJ's upcoming Week #8 Poll as SHA will be the new #1 Queen of the Castle!
    Advertisement

  2. #17
    sumoroyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04
    Location
    Maysville, KY
    Posts
    10,810

    May be a game that will benefit Mercer if they play again down the road.

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Posts
    2,496

    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    At risk of taking anything away from the TOTAL performance by SHA -- which is not my intent -- the fact this was Mercer's 4th game in 3 days was certainly some factor in this result. (Had forgotten Mercer played Franklin Thurs before the Butler game Fri).

    Kinda doubt SHA would have been as smooth had they have played Butler and then Male the prior 2 games. Would SHA have lost? Who knows -- probably not. Would it have been the one sided game like last nite -- doubtful.

    Nobody ever likes to hear 'I told ya so' ... but congrats to SHA in JJ's upcoming Week #8 Poll as SHA will be the new #1 Queen of the Castle!
    Why would Mercer schedule a regular season game on Thursday of the LIT?

  4. #19
    Wireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 05
    Location
    8507 Queens Boulevard
    Posts
    53,416

    This outcome isn't much of a surprise. It's hard to beat a good team when you have no legs. Congrats to SH on the great win.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    39

    Fact of the matter is SHA put a running clock on Mercer and it wasn’t even close from the tip. Of course, the Titans had some rough games leading up but to answer the question of “why would the coach schedule those games?”.. The entire point in all of the regular season is to prepare for March. The LIT is designed to simulate the State Tourney. We saw the outcome. One team had a cake walk, the other struggled to get by and got embarrassed in the championship. I am in no way taking away from SHA because they played about as good of a basketball game as a team can play! However, I truly believe this would have been more like a 10 point loss for the Titans had SHA played the gauntlet of a path Mercer Co did. This loss will better Mercer Co in the long run. Nice little wake up call.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    21

    I agree with your statements and would like to remind everyone that a similar situation occurred in the 2017 State tournament, giving Mercer County a ‘favorable’ draw thru the Semis with the others powers in the lower bracket.

    While i question the drive by Mercer it is no different than when SHA played in December and barely arrived at all due to an unexpected ice storm. Bottom line is that these games are to prepare for March, not today.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by LCDAWGS19 View Post
    I heard the same. Wonder what the reasoning behind that was?
    This would make sense to me. What we’re they supposed to do in Louisville for 7 hours? Hanging out in a different city all day with no shower or rest would have been 10x worse. Again, Mercer drew the short straw but that’s just how it goes. Not questioning the integrity of any of those involved with the LIT, but SHA fans seemed to know (and cheer loudly) for every LIT “helper” that was recognized at the end of the game. True road game for Mercer County.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    21

    Actually because it is one of few long standing girls tournaments left..since 1976.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 08
    Posts
    1,001

    The LIT means more to the louisville schools. You could tell from the enthusiasm last night.

    Sets up for a great story with the rubber match in the state tournament. I would love to see these two on opposite sides of the bracket and meet in the state championship game

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 16
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    The LIT means more to the louisville schools. You could tell from the enthusiasm last night.

    Sets up for a great story with the rubber match in the state tournament. I would love to see these two on opposite sides of the bracket and meet in the state championship game
    I hope you are right so we have the two best teams playing each other for it all, but here’s how it ALWAYS works... The 12th Region with play the 7th Region the very first round and a somewhat decent team will have a cake walk on the other side and play for a State Championship. Two best teams almost never end up on opposite sides... (or so it seems lol none of this is factual)

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Posts
    2,496

    Quote Originally Posted by magicfan217 View Post
    The LIT means more to the louisville schools. You could tell from the enthusiasm last night.

    Sets up for a great story with the rubber match in the state tournament. I would love to see these two on opposite sides of the bracket and meet in the state championship game
    Well I think the Mercer team would disagree with you on that. They stated in a recent article that winning the LIT was one of their big goals this year besides winning State.
    Mercer County will use this to get better just like Sacred Heart did after the defeat they had at Mercer in December.
    I hope for all our sake they meet in the Sweet Sixteen Championship game. What a game it would be. I know Campbell County and others have a legit chance, but I really think these are the two best teams in Kentucky with many kids that will play at the next level. For entertainment sake I hope they meet for a State title.

  12. #27
    dd734's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 06
    Location
    West L.A. - West Lower Alexandria
    Posts
    2,608

    Quote Originally Posted by passtheball View Post
    Well I think the Mercer team would disagree with you on that. They stated in a recent article that winning the LIT was one of their big goals this year besides winning State.
    Mercer County will use this to get better just like Sacred Heart did after the defeat they had at Mercer in December.
    I hope for all our sake they meet in the Sweet Sixteen Championship game. What a game it would be. I know Campbell County and others have a legit chance, but I really think these are the two best teams in Kentucky with many kids that will play at the next level. For entertainment sake I hope they meet for a State title.
    I hope for many of our sake, you're wrong.

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Posts
    2,496

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Apr 08
    Posts
    2,496

    State title — not LIT — still Sacred Heart's main target

    Nice recap in today’s CJ on LIT win.

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Posts
    109

    PTB!

    Nice comments. Winning every tournament a team plays is certainly an obvious goal. Ultimately, whatever a team can do to prepare for the State Title is undoubtedly the main target as you state.

    The Mercer coach (and lots of others) sets up a schedule with this in mind. Making a state run is stressful in so many ways and how your team performs under stress is something your kids and staff had better become familiar with. To steal a line from the golfing great Seve Ballesteros ... "Anyone can play when it is 75 & sunny."

    Hard to think SHA will NOT be in the mix in March. Given the status between SHA & Mercer is 1-1 a rubber match in the Finals would be crazy (at least for their fans). It rarely happens that way though. There was Z-E-R-O way I thought any team had what it took to take down the mighty team from Butler ... but Murray showed up and said "we can play too". Awesome stuff ... looking forward to March!

Top