Girls Sweet 16 to Rupp Arena

  1. #1
    brooksville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 17
    Location
    10th Region
    Posts
    515

    Girls Sweet 16 to Rupp Arena

    Girls Sweet 16 to be played at Rupp Arena in 2019 and 2020. If no corporate sponsor in 2020, tourney could be moved that year.
    Advertisement

  2. #2
    BoyWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14
    Posts
    424

    Love it.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 14
    Posts
    100

    Where it is being played in 2018?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 15
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    27

    Back to Northern for 1 year.

  5. #5
    AllenR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13
    Posts
    1,363

    Mixed in with the boys or a separate week?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    349

    Just glad it is moving.......hopefully Lexington will boost it back up a little bit!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Location
    Florence KY
    Posts
    409

    What do you mean boost it back up a bit?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    349

    Put a little more of the history and tradition back into it.....I know this will start a "discussion" and I won't take part in it. WKU was the perfect place for it and when it left, it almost seemed like it turned into just another tournament. I am from Louisville , so save the homer thoughts and responses. Stated my feeling on it and will read anyone else's that cares to chime in.

  9. #9
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    18,807

    Quote Originally Posted by AllenR View Post
    Mixed in with the boys or a separate week?
    At the state AD's meeting a couple of weeks ago, Julian Tackett said (if approved) it would be during separate weeks. I suspect their desire is for the boys tournament will be the last week of the college regular season and the girls tournament would be during the men's SEC tournament.

  10. #10
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    18,807

    Quote Originally Posted by coach14 View Post
    What do you mean boost it back up a bit?
    Attendance has been pretty strong at Northern, maybe even more than was expected. I don't think it needs a boost at all; it does need a home that truly wants it.

  11. #11
    ColonelCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 02
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    33,408

    Quote Originally Posted by coachforlife View Post
    Put a little more of the history and tradition back into it.....I know this will start a "discussion" and I won't take part in it. WKU was the perfect place for it and when it left, it almost seemed like it turned into just another tournament. I am from Louisville , so save the homer thoughts and responses. Stated my feeling on it and will read anyone else's that cares to chime in.
    I assume you didn't like NKU? What didn't you like?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 11
    Location
    Florence KY
    Posts
    409

    Quote Originally Posted by coachforlife View Post
    Put a little more of the history and tradition back into it.....I know this will start a "discussion" and I won't take part in it. WKU was the perfect place for it and when it left, it almost seemed like it turned into just another tournament. I am from Louisville , so save the homer thoughts and responses. Stated my feeling on it and will read anyone else's that cares to chime in.
    I guess I do not understand what this vague statement means?

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 09
    Posts
    349

    Had an AAU tournament feel to it.

  14. #14
    gchs_uk9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 02
    Posts
    18,807

    Interesting factoid: Girls state tournament hasn't been played in Lexington since Woodburn beat Paintsville at Alumni Gym in 1932. That was the last year for girls basketball until 1975. Since girls basketball was reintroduced, finals have been played in Bowling Green (22 times), Richmond (13), Frankfort (6), and Highland Heights (2).

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 08
    Posts
    9,420

    Quote Originally Posted by gchs_uk9 View Post
    Attendance has been pretty strong at Northern, maybe even more than was expected. I don't think it needs a boost at all; it does need a home that truly wants it.
    2016 was the 5th highest attendance all-time for the girls and I was told the attendance at this year's tourney was higher than last year's.

Top