Conner 54 Highlands 46

Page 2 of Final from NKU.Conner was led by Courtney Hurst with 19 and Maddie Burcham with 15.... 24 comments | 3635 Views | Go to page 1 →

  1. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 13
    Posts
    592

    Highlands finished region runner-up to Notre Dame in 2013. It just always seems like there are one or two teams in the region that are a little better than the Bluebirds. Conner and Ryle were those teams this year.
    Advertisement

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 17
    Posts
    1,483

    I'm not sure why we would judge a program on the number of region titles won. Jamie has built a strong and consistent program. Highlands should be thrilled (as any school should be).

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 16
    Posts
    922

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    I'm not sure why we would judge a program on the number of region titles won. Jamie has built a strong and consistent program. Highlands should be thrilled (as any school should be).
    I don't think anyone is really judging their program just stating facts. They have had a solid program since Jaime took over around 2000 I think. Can't say what the program was like prior to that.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 15
    Posts
    543

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Hangin Around View Post
    I don't think anyone is really judging their program just stating facts. They have had a solid program since Jaime took over around 2000 I think. Can't say what the program was like prior to that.
    Multiple regional titles, advanced to state title game once, had a Miss Basketball/National Player of the Year (Walz), and another player (Tara Boothe) who was probably deserving of Miss Basketball (just a bad year because of other candidates).

    Highlands is almost always a threat to win the region; they were this year and will be for the next several years, at least, based on the talent in the program.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    1,241

    I would say in the last 8+ years they have had teams that could have won the region. HHS has very good records year in and year out but come tournament time they seem to struggle. I am by no means slighting them because tournament time seems to get to a lot of teams in how they play and react to the big stage.

  6. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 03
    Location
    hills
    Posts
    1,359

    Quote Originally Posted by CAP View Post
    I would say in the last 8+ years they have had teams that could have won the region. HHS has very good records year in and year out but come tournament time they seem to struggle. I am by no means slighting them because tournament time seems to get to a lot of teams in how they play and react to the big stage.
    Do teams really struggle in the postseason or is it that only 1 team can win the region? 8 teams make the region. 1 team wins and 7 teams struggle??? Sometimes you just need to give credit to the other team.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 08
    Posts
    6,421

    Highlands is almost always going to be in the regional tournament given the current status of their district. Yes they have not advanced as far as some might want to think, but by no means were they the favorite to win the region anytime over the last several years. Jaime does a really nice job of getting the girls ready for the postseason with the schedule that she puts together.

    The team this year was pretty young, with only one senior, and they were competitive in most every game that they played this year as evidenced by the victories over Campbell County and Simon Kenton. Key to me is keeping the kids in the program and that appears to be getting better over the years.

    They will have a lot returning next year, but so does everyone else that is a top contender in the region. As someone mentioned in a previous post, there is only one winner and seven losers in the regional tourney. The luck of the draw plays a much bigger part in it than people want to think.

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 15
    Posts
    1,241

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all Trades View Post
    Highlands is almost always going to be in the regional tournament given the current status of their district. Yes they have not advanced as far as some might want to think, but by no means were they the favorite to win the region anytime over the last several years. Jaime does a really nice job of getting the girls ready for the postseason with the schedule that she puts together.

    The team this year was pretty young, with only one senior, and they were competitive in most every game that they played this year as evidenced by the victories over Campbell County and Simon Kenton. Key to me is keeping the kids in the program and that appears to be getting better over the years.

    They will have a lot returning next year, but so does everyone else that is a top contender in the region. As someone mentioned in a previous post, there is only one winner and seven losers in the regional tourney. The luck of the draw plays a much bigger part in it than people want to think.
    I agree with 1 winner and 7 losers but some get to the regional and have no chance HHS has had the talent in the last several years to win a 9th region title and no one can't deny that.

  9. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 14
    Posts
    359

    Congrats to Conner and good luck to them and Coach Stamm moving forward.

  10. #25
    Tiger1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 05
    Posts
    4,833

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelPops View Post
    I'm not sure why we would judge a program on the number of region titles won. Jamie has built a strong and consistent program. Highlands should be thrilled (as any school should be).
    Then what should people judge a program on?? The answer is championships is all that matters when judging the best/greatest programs.

Top