Page 7 of I'm sure I'll get drilled on this one, but why does this tournament exist? Why are the A schools segmented out with a special tournament?... 243 comments | 7842 Views | Go to page 1 →
- Jan 25, 13, 11:55 PM #121
- Jan 25, 13, 11:58 PM #122
- Jan 26, 13, 12:02 AM #123
- Jan 26, 13, 12:06 AM #124
- Jan 26, 13, 12:07 AM #125
- Jan 26, 13, 12:11 AM #126
- Jan 26, 13, 12:13 AM #127
- Jan 26, 13, 12:16 AM #128Now that I'm finally back home and have access to a computer and keyboard all I have to say is..............Crap I forgot, I got to go to bed been a long day!
- Jan 26, 13, 12:19 AM #129
In the 10th, Brossart has completely dominated the last 11 years. Before that it was a little more spread out. The girls 10th has been dominated by 2 teams over the last 20.
- Jan 26, 13, 12:25 AM #130
- Jan 26, 13, 12:30 AM #131
- Join Date
- Dec 07
- Jan 26, 13, 12:42 AM #132
Maybe I made a mistake by saying "chance to win" and should have said a chance to be very competitive in their region. Of course if you're in a region that has a dominant team this year, it decreases your chance to actually win the region. But I think our point is here that there are Several teams that are in the 16 that are very competitive in the real region so why play in a segmented region and state tournament? There are all kinds of other schools that don't get to play in the all A and have no chance of winning their region or even being competitive.
- Jan 26, 13, 12:43 AM #133
- Jan 26, 13, 07:24 AM #134
Well I seen Webster play and if there ranked 24th Im shocked! Its like RCC9 you think its a advantage for other teams to play in the ALL A. Please tell me what the difference is playing in the All A and playing in some big tourny's during a season? In the All A you dont pick who you play but as a coach if you wanted to play in particular tournaments so you could see several teams and play some of them before districts or regionals isnt that a bit of a advantage? Like I said, If you havent been part of it you just wouldnt understand and you can go on ALLLLLLLLL day questioning and doing your research and its not gonna change.
- Join Date
- Feb 12
- Jan 26, 13, 07:37 AM #135Bottom line is the All A is a great tournament that the schools and all the kids all look forward to playing in every year. The All A regionals are very exciting, as is the All A State. If you don't believe that then you need to get out and watch some of these games.
- Jan 26, 13, 10:00 AM #136RCC9 - The research that should have been done is below. It is very revealing and is very relevant to this discussion and to what you are trying to present. Each region has the regional winners listed for 2012 (last season). The first is the ALL A regional winner, the second is the regular regional winner. As you can see, from the bolded lines, that last year presented ONLY TWO All A regional winners that were able to go on and win their end of season regional tournament. That is 2 out of 16 or better presented as 12.5%. That is a very low percentage statewide and not what I would consider a "handful." This list is actual results, no "could haves" or "opinions". As you can see, it is not common for a team to win both ALL A regional and the regular regional. You argument that the same teams have as good of chance to win the regular regional anyway is not very strong. If that was true, then there would be more than 12.5 percent STATEWIDE that are able to win both.
I thought this was more revealing and that you would be happy to have your tough question answered...or maybe your real motivation is more than just asking tough questions.
Region 1 Murray / Marshall County
Region 2 University Heights / Hopkinsville
Region 3 Owensboro Catholic / Muhlenberg County
Region 4 Monroe County / Gascow
Region 5 Green County / Marion County
Region 6 Louisville Holy Cross / Butler
Region 7 Kentucky County Day / DuPont Manual
Region 8 Walton Verona / Walton Verona
Region 9 Newport Central Catholic / Boone County
Region 10 Bishop Brossart / Montgomery County
Region 11 Lexington Christian / Paul Laurence Dunbar
Region 12 Somerset / Lincoln County
Region 13 Harlan / Clay Co
Region 14 Owsley County / Perry County Central
Region 15 Magoffin County / Magoffin County
Region 16 Raceland / Ashland Blazer
- Jan 26, 13, 10:12 AM #137
All I'm saying that when folks are questioned as to why this is a segmented tournament, everyone defends it by saying "oh, it's great because it gives the small schools a chance to experience things things such as regions and state events that they wouldn't otherwise get to do." I say that's a garbage excuse because the 2/3 of the teams that should be getting exposure still have been dominated by the other 1/3 of the teams for the last 20 years. And those teams that have dominated are very competitive inside their own regular regional tournaments. So to say it is segmented out to provide opportunities for the teams that can't compete, is not true at all. So I will ask you the original question again...what is this tournament for and why is it segmented? If the answer is because you eventually get to see the best small schools compete (which can compete against the big schools) then say that. They arent teams that dont get opportunities otherwise. And if its an opportunity to let one of those schools (who can compete) win a championship, then say that. But then lets move to classes in Ky because there are schools of every size (not just A) that would love to have the opportunity to compete for championships against only schools similar in size.
Now I don't want that to happen, but this is exactly what has happened to this tournament.
Okay I'm being sarcastic now....I have to go now. Duke energy just called. They are going to sponsor my new tournament for next year! So be on the lookout for the first annual Mid-size school KY State Invitational. It will be for 2a and 3a schools only. No private school need apply. We will also be sending out forms to discuss your teams previous years record to make sure that HHS...I mean... all teams have a fair chance and that its not dominated by a few. This will be a great event!
Again, over exaggerating and being very sarcastic, but you get my point! This tournament would be segmented and for no other reason than just to have another tournament and hand out a trophy. This tournament would still be a great event in which teams, players and fans look forward to and love to attend and watch very competitive games and hang banners for (as someone said). Now if this tournament was real, what would everyone that is defending the A say about this one?
As someone said...this is a compromise tournament. An exception if you will? The state wants no part of breaking Ky tradition and going to a class system. Therefore,they allow this tournament to happen and hope that others don't follow path. If they did, people would start to push for classes in bball and they would never let that happen. So for those saying start your own tournament, they'd never let it happen.
- Jan 26, 13, 10:27 AM #138
For anyone to win a regional it's going to be tough. I bet if you looked harder you could find multiple non-A schools in each region that haven't won their region in the last 20 years. Heck, I bet you could find some that have never won a region! Those guys don't get an opportunity to play in a different championship event! They just deal with it. Why is A different?
If the teams that are dominating the All A are still very competitive in their region, don't say it's for opportunities for the small school. Then that tells me you believe in a class system and all schools of every size have the same argument! You either believe in a class aystem or you don't. It shouldn't be for just certain classes.
For the record, I like the bball the way it is. The best win and they are the undisputed champs! Tough luck to everyone else. It shouldn't be easy to win or have segmented tournaments if we truly believe in the KY way.
- Jan 26, 13, 10:53 AM #139
- Jan 26, 13, 11:15 AM #140The All A is a marketing marvel. Whomever did it did it right because the emotions and feeling around this tournament are unsurpassed by any other tournament other than by the State Championship at the end of the season.